It sure looks like Ollie is being outcoached. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It sure looks like Ollie is being outcoached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's early but for this team to be good this year we need Gibbs to score, and score a lot.

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs isn't that good, and isn't a point guard(I know this is a shocker here for many). Our offense is non-existent because there is none, and our players are lacking in basketball fundamentals. Harsh words, but the truth. We need to go big not small with this group, and we need to start Jalen to have a guard who can create shots for others in order for the offense to run smoother, and Gibbs/Purvis to have some open 3's. Not to mention we don't have multiple guys who go after rebounds with tenacity which good UCONN teams always had. Hamilton needs to help out more on rebounding as does Purvis.

You talk of people lacking fundamentals yet you are all in with Amida? You're clueless.

Reaction Score
Any shot of a "Plan B" on defense? Like throwing in a zone for a few minutes each half. Outside of Brimah, how many players in our "Starting 6" would say that defense is a strength of theirs?

Reaction Score
My impression of this team is many talented players who don't work well together and DHam padding his individual stats to improve his draft prospects.

It's amazing. It's like we need to outdo each other when coming up with ways to criticize. There's no need to double down on stupid.

H

huskymagic

You talk of people lacking fundamentals yet you are all in with Amida? You're clueless.

Mauconn your well aware what I mean by fundamentals, and it starts with defense. Amida has basketball fundamentals including defending his man, timing for blocks, and free throw shooting. I don't expect Brimah to be an offensive player, but its not like he is getting any plays to get him going or being set up for baskets. We have our guards passing the ball around the perimeter on offense. We have guards that can't stay in front of their man on defense. That's bad fundamentals. Your hatred of Brimah is clouding your judgement. Brimah is a NET POSITIVE for this team.

Let's wait for Saturday against Ohio State to see what's going to happen as that should provide the last insight we need going forward with this team.

Reaction Score
Mauconn your well aware what I mean by fundamentals, and it starts with defense. Amida has basketball fundamentals including defending his man, timing for blocks, and free throw shooting. I don't expect Brimah to be an offensive player, but its not like he is getting any plays to get him going or being set up for baskets. We have our guards passing the ball around the perimeter on offense. We have guards that can't stay in front of their man on defense. That's bad fundamentals. Your hatred of Brimah is clouding your judgement. Brimah is a NET POSITIVE for this team.

Let's wait for Saturday against Ohio State to see what's going to happen as that should provide the last insight we need going forward with this team.

Watch the damn game please magic. His fundamentals are horrific, he's obviously still very raw. He has nothing run through him on offense for a reason, you know what that is? He can't pass, can't pick and doesn't know where to roll off a pick. Oh yeah and as you saw he can't even square up to make a little jump hook or even hit the rim. All of those are "fundamentals". He got 2 and 7 his guy got 16 and 9 - net positive by what standards? I agree with you and our guards not good on the ball defensively for sure but neither is he. His blocks usually come off the ball as he does not defend the low post very well at all. They all need to be better but you seriously need to watch the game closer and take a less bias view because of your adoration of this kid.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Watch the damn game please magic. His fundamentals are horrific, he's obviously still very raw. He has nothing run through him on offense for a reason, you know what that is? He can't pass, can't pick and doesn't know where to roll off a pick. Oh yeah and as you saw he can't even square up to make a little jump hook or even hit the rim. All of those are "fundamentals". He got 2 and 7 his guy got 16 and 9 - net positive by what standards? I agree with you and our guards not good on the ball defensively for sure but neither is he. His blocks usually come off the ball as he does not defend the low post very well at all. They all need to be better but you seriously need to watch the game closer and take a less bias view because of your adoration of this kid.

To be fair, 'his guy' is a Top 5 pick if he comes out this year.

Not that I disagree w the premise, mind you. Amida's fundamentals are decidedly lacking.

Reaction Score
To be fair, 'his guy' is a Top 5 pick if he comes out this year.

Not that I disagree w the premise, mind you. Amida's fundamentals are decidedly lacking.

Stone top 5? That's purely NBA BS he's not close to that guy and maybe he gets drafted on pure potential but prior to this game he wasn't even looking like he should. He's going to be very good it would seem, but to be fair he's not close to Top 5 really, he wouldn't play right away if he left this year. 2-3 year project. His fundamentals though are terrific but lots to learn, wish he wasn't an Under Armor guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree with magic's point about Ollie subbing like it's the NBA, putting in almost an entire 2nd team at times. He's gotta stop that, it's not working.

Reaction Score
If Ollie sticks with Gibbs as a starter on Saturday against Ohio St, which I suspect he will then you can be sure we will lose that game if we come out like we have the last 4 games. Experience on a limited guard(Gibbs) doesn't trump inexperienced talent(Jalen). We need some hunger out there, too much indecisiveness at every position playing scared. UCONN teams always had a swagger, a toughness, a desire to prove themselves. This past 2 years I am seeing non-UCONN level guards with few exceptions. One dimensional players with no toughness and who don't impact the game. Gibbs and Purvis are the same player with Purvis getting the nod with his size and athleticism. Miller can't play defense is abundantly clear. His offense means little when he is so brutal on the defensive end. Facey needs to start in his place even if he's pulled out after 2 minutes.

Ollie has been out-coached by the fact that he is substituting players like its the NBA. Why he brings Nolan or Cassel or Omar in big games is mind-boggling. The other teams go on a huge run, and the game is over before Brimah is even inserted back in the game.

Your statement is so off base insofar as who he brings off the bench. May I remind you that Omar Calhoun is a seasoned and experienced 4-year player that adds depth shooting, leadership and toughness to the team. In all honesty, Omar should be a starter on the premises of his leadership and experience. Let alone, the best perimeter shooter on the team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ollie is still learning about this team, still learning about what Gibbs, still learning about
Miller, still learning Adams. He will figure it out.

Yes, I hope so. Here is the problem though, our league isn't good. We had a great OOC schedule lined up, and all it is showing so far is that UConn doesn't belong in the tournament. Ohio State is now a "must win" or we risk not making it unless we more or less run the table in the league. We damned well better beat Georgetown too. We cannot go 1-5 against the good non-conference teams on our schedule. 3-3 is acceptable, but we are sitting at 1-3 now.

In short, he's out of time to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom