It sure looks like Ollie is being outcoached. | The Boneyard

It sure looks like Ollie is being outcoached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Especially in game planning. Teams come out of the locker room and eat up our defense. Even Sacred Heart did it. They get to rim with the greatest of ease. This is often the cause of Brimah's early fouls as he bails out the rest of the roster. Other teams space the floor and then fly through huge gaps while the Huskies chase. It hasn't been pretty. I even found myself wondering if we should go zone.

On the other end of the court, our offense was incapable of producing an open shot for the first ten minutes. There might have been a couple but mostly we were shooting contested off balance jumpers at the end of the shot clock after 25 seconds of passing the ball around yielded nothing. While the opponents ran to the rim, we couldn't get near it.

Our pick and roll was doubled, driven backward and completely ineffective. There was no Plan B. The halftime adjustment was dribble penetration by Hamilton into the lane. Why was that adjustment not implemented until UConn was down 20?

Ollie said the Huskies needed to start fast. That was his area of focus. They couldn't have started slower. They came out as tentative as they have been all year. And they were confused enough to commit numerous turnovers. Whatever Ollie devised to get them going fast was countered and neutered.

Yep, it's December, early December at that. But this is a disturbing trend that needs to be fixed. Because it sure looks like our guy is being schooled by their guy.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. I think he needs to try something different on Saturday in terms of the starting lineup. If for no other reason, just to shake things up. I would start Adams over Gibbs and go from there.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. I think he needs to try something different on Saturday in terms of the starting lineup. If for no other reason, just to shake things up. I would start Adams over Gibbs and go from there.
Yes, Adams needs to start. He is a true PG.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
who recruited and coached the tough as nail players that won that 2014 title?

a man who never lost rebounding margins by 20

Reaction Score

You realize you insult JC by the questioning and manner by which you question the hire he made as the heir to the program he built.

Besides, this thread is about being outcoached. Can't turn it in to a discussion about who had what talent. And if you're going to dismiss KO's championship because he had the better team tat wasn't his (which is just an amazingly stupid premise in the first place), then you have to allow that KO lost to better teams this year. Gonzaga and MD sure looked like genuinely better teams.

This is usually how basketball games are decided. You might want to watch a couple more so that fact can become clear to you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not happy about it, but it seems like reality
It's not though. The only major contributors on that 2014 team that KO didn't recruit were Shabazz and Niels, and even then, KO had to convince Shabazz to not transfer after JC retired.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If there ever was a former UConn player I trusted to pass on Calhoun's tough as nails teachings, it's the guy he hired to do it. Him or the one that just got arrested for grand theft auto.

OK, I too love the hire, and it sure looked like it was a home run

and it's not the winning and losing that concerns me, it's really not. We've lost many times in disappointing fashion over the years

It's the rebounding margin
It's FT disparity

On defense, they've had good stretches and so they should be able to fix their lapses

On offense, it often times takes time to work things out

but we no longer rebound, we just don't, and Ollie gets walked on by the officials

Reaction Score
It just seems like he's not doing much out there. Sitting and talking to the assistants alot while opposing coaches are up and about

H

huskymagic

Yes, Adams needs to start. He is a true PG.

If Ollie sticks with Gibbs as a starter on Saturday against Ohio St, which I suspect he will then you can be sure we will lose that game if we come out like we have the last 4 games. Experience on a limited guard(Gibbs) doesn't trump inexperienced talent(Jalen). We need some hunger out there, too much indecisiveness at every position playing scared. UCONN teams always had a swagger, a toughness, a desire to prove themselves. This past 2 years I am seeing non-UCONN level guards with few exceptions. One dimensional players with no toughness and who don't impact the game. Gibbs and Purvis are the same player with Purvis getting the nod with his size and athleticism. Miller can't play defense is abundantly clear. His offense means little when he is so brutal on the defensive end. Facey needs to start in his place even if he's pulled out after 2 minutes.

Ollie has been out-coached by the fact that he is substituting players like its the NBA. Why he brings Nolan or Cassel or Omar in big games is mind-boggling. The other teams go on a huge run, and the game is over before Brimah is even inserted back in the game.

Reaction Score
huskymagic said:
If Ollie sticks with Gibbs as a starter on Saturday against Ohio St, which I suspect he will then you can be sure we will lose that game if we come out like we have the last 4 games. Experience on a limited guard(Gibbs) doesn't trump inexperienced talent(Jalen). We need some hunger out there, too much indecisiveness at every position playing scared. UCONN teams always had a swagger, a toughness, a desire to prove themselves. This past 2 years I am seeing non-UCONN level guards with few exceptions. One dimensional players with no toughness and who don't impact the game. Gibbs and Purvis are the same player with Purvis getting the nod with his size and athleticism. Miller can't play defense is abundantly clear. His offense means little when he is so brutal on the defensive end. Facey needs to start in his place even if he's pulled out after 2 minutes. Ollie has been out-coached by the fact that he is substituting players like its the NBA. Why he brings Nolan or Cassel or Omar in big games is mind-boggling. The other teams go on a huge run, and the game is over before Brimah is even inserted back in the game.

Your posts are just brutal. Your first sentence alone is a disaster of nonsense. If Gibbs starts AND they get down by 20 you're sure they'll lose? Pretty bold prediction.

Reaction Score

_____
'tough as nails' is the operative. Where are they??

Time to review and plan ahead - obviously different scenarios in play.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Remember earlier this year when everyone was lamenting KO's swinging and missing on recruit after recruit and then we landed Miller and Gibbs and everyone said basically "We're saved!"? My impression of this team is many talented players who don't work well together and DHam padding his individual stats to improve his draft prospects.

Reaction Score
Remember earlier this year when everyone was lamenting KO's swinging and missing on recruit after recruit and then we landed Miller and Gibbs and everyone said basically "We're saved!"? My impression of this team is many talented players who don't work well together and DHam padding his individual stats to improve his draft prospects.
Dham padding his stats? Just because he's unselfish and a good creator doesn't mean he is padding his stats, if anything he is being too passive. We saw what he did in the second half against a very good team, he can get to the hole pretty easily whenever, he just looks for the open teammate. C'mon man

Reaction Score
My impression of this team is many talented players who don't work well together and DHam padding his individual stats to improve his draft prospects.
I'm genuinely confused by this statement. 99% of the BY is in a tizzy about how bad we're playing and now the 1 guy putting up the numbers we expected him to gets accused of padding his stats.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm genuinely confused by this statement. 99% of the BY is in a tizzy about how bad we're playing and now the 1 guy putting up the numbers we expected him to gets accused of padding his stats.

peak.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes, he was outcoached by a perennial loser coach Tuesday night - no doubt about it
He coached against a team with an AA in the most valuable position - PG, meanwhile the loser coach is stuck with a (to date) under achieving Sterling and freshman
He was outcoached by a coach who looks down his bench and sees physical tough minded players while UConn's loser coach stares at Omar, PN and Jr.
Outcoached> in one area that being a visable offensive scheme BUT do any of us really know if he isn't preaching one in practice while these guys may just not have the talent and/or the smarts to carry it out?
He was outcoached by someone whose freshman 5 scores 16 pts while KO's 5 scores 2 pts and swats shots into the seats and waives a finger
Yep he sure is outcoached - I'm ready for my seat on that bandwagon

Reaction Score
Yes, he was outcoached by a perennial loser coach Tuesday night - no doubt about it
He coached against a team with an AA in the most valuable position - PG, meanwhile the loser coach is stuck with a (to date) under achieving Sterling and freshman
He was outcoached by a coach who looks down his bench and sees physical tough minded players while UConn's loser coach stares at Omar, PN and Jr.
Outcoached> in one area that being a visable offensive scheme BUT do any of us really know if he isn't preaching one in practice while these guys may just not have the talent and/or the smarts to carry it out?
He was outcoached by someone whose freshman 5 scores 16 pts while KO's 5 scores 2 pts and swats shots into the seats and waives a finger

You have some nice thoughts but very harsh in the delivery I'm afraid. I can't "kinda like" it I'm afraid.

Reaction Score

I agree that its possible that some of these guys just dont get it (Phil, Omar etc).

But at the same time we literally NEVER even run anything on offense. Like ever. Ive been watching specifically for it during our three big games, and we honestly don't run any set or call any plays. Maybe a few pick and rolls here and there but that's it. Its the same crap over and over. And that isn't a lack of player retainment or ability.

Its a lack of a game plan or strategy from the coaching staff. Its the coaches job to put less talented players in a position to succeed based on a good gameplan, drawing up good plays etc. Sterling Gibbs didnt just all of a sudden start to suck. I watch other college b ball games and the entire game the pg looks over at the coach, he puts his hands up to signal a play, they run the set, and sometimes (often?) they get an open look. My roomate is a Duke fan (Woof i know) so ive seen more of their games than I care to admit this year. But the entire game they're getting WIDE open looks by running good offensive sets. Matt Jones and Luke Kennard are literally always wide open. And those arent great players. Its good coaching and offense.

We don't do that anymore. And it sucks.

H

huskymagic

Sterling Gibbs isn't that good, and isn't a point guard(I know this is a shocker here for many). Our offense is non-existent because there is none, and our players are lacking in basketball fundamentals. Harsh words, but the truth. We need to go big not small with this group, and we need to start Jalen to have a guard who can create shots for others in order for the offense to run smoother, and Gibbs/Purvis to have some open 3's. Not to mention we don't have multiple guys who go after rebounds with tenacity which good UCONN teams always had. Hamilton needs to help out more on rebounding as does Purvis.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs isn't that good, and isn't a point guard(I know this is a shocker here for many). Our offense is non-existent because there is none, and our players are lacking in basketball fundamentals. Harsh words, but the truth. We need to go big not small with this group, and we need to start Jalen to have a guard who can create shots for others in order for the offense to run smoother, and Gibbs/Purvis to have some open 3's. Not to mention we don't have multiple guys who go after rebounds with tenacity which good UCONN teams always had. Hamilton needs to help out more on rebounding as does Purvis.
But if Hamilton does the rebounding, who is going to sell the popcorn, sweep out the gym and turn out the lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom