It looks like Bill O'Brien is very close to leaving Penn State for the NFL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It looks like Bill O'Brien is very close to leaving Penn State for the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is why they tell recruits to make their decision based on the school, not the coach. The school will still be there, the coach may not.

Irishfan ...would appreciate your insight here. The thinking earlier was that ND's DL Coach Elston would be Kelly's choice as the new DC. That obviously didn't happen, so are there any thoughts, or even rumors, of him possibly moving on ...say to a place like UConn? lol

Reaction Score
Irishfan ...would appreciate your insight here. The thinking earlier was that ND's DL Coach Elston would be Kelly's choice as the new DC. That obviously didn't happen, so are there any thoughts, or even rumors, of him possibly moving on ...say to a place like UConn? lol

I think he thought he might get the promotion to DC. Now that they have named Van Gorder as the DC, I'm not sure what Elston's future is. Van Gorder might have candidates for his staff in mind, although everyone I know was very happy with the play of the D line over the past few years. I hope he stays.

Reaction Score
I think he thought he might get the promotion to DC. Now that they have named Van Gorder as the DC, I'm not sure what Elston's future is. Van Gorder might have candidates for his staff in mind, although everyone I know was very happy with the play of the D line over the past few years. I hope he stays.

Thanks for sharing that. It sounds pretty much like what one would think based on how the events have unfolded. It sure sounded to me like Kelly was going to promote him. Now that he hasn't, I think it comes down to how much Elston wants to be a DC right now. Of course, it's also assuming that Diaco has, or will, offer him the DC position with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mark Richt too.

I should think it's Munchak, Golden and maybe Richt.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mark Richt too.

I should think it's Munchak, Golden and maybe Richt.
I have heard from my friends in PA that James Franklin is in that group...Richt is a new name there

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Richt doesn't make much sense. No northern ties that I know of and he hasn't really gotten more out of his team than was expected. I don't think georgia fans would be that disappointed if he left.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The absolute dream scenario is Schiano to Penn State.

The damage he would do to Rutgers in terms of recruiting New Jersey would be prodigious.

The damage he would do to the psyche of Rutgers' fans would be worse.

This is the Enola Gay flying over New Brunswick - I can't believe more people aren't excited by the possibilities.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The absolute dream scenario is Schiano to Penn State.

The damage he would do to Rutgers in terms of recruiting New Jersey would be prodigious.

The damage he would do to the psyche of Rutgers' fans would be worse.

This is the Enola Gay flying over New Brunswick - I can't believe more people aren't excited by the possibilities.
I can't see Schiano passing the fanbase smell test. And RU has a built-in ceiling of ineptitude, it doesn't matter what happens at Penn State.

Reaction Score
I can't see Schiano passing the fanbase smell test. And RU has a built-in ceiling of ineptitude, it doesn't matter what happens at Penn State.
Sure, but Schiano's dubious game day coaching may also impede Penn State's escape from Sandusky's and Paterno's stain on top of undermining Rutgers' recruiting. Win win!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They'll put the Joepa statue back up before they hire Schiano as HC. Unlikely to the point of hilarity.

Reaction Score
They'll put the Joepa statue back up before they hire Schiano as HC. Unlikely to the point of hilarity.

Not saying you are wrong, but I heard on two different outlets that he was a likely candidate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not saying you are wrong, but I heard on two different outlets that he was a likely candidate.

Every article I see suggests that PSU is pushing for Schiano. Former PSU guy, better in college than the NFL. Not sure what will happen, but O'Brien makes sense for the Texans. The Texans are like the Spurs when they lost Robinson and others for the year, and won the lottery to get Tim Duncan. They have the #1 pick, but have plenty of talent on the roster. Much better situation than most first time NFL Heach Coches can expect.

Reaction Score
If I'm Terry Pegula (PSU's T Boone Pickens) and PSU is serious about Schiano..I don't write another check until he is gone...better yet..I'd tell PSU "if you hire Schiano the donation well has gone and dried up".

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
It's their rowboat and they can build a bonfire on board if they choose, but I have zero confidence that the people who found O'Brien can drink enough alcohol to be convinced to rubber stamp Schiano and be sufficiently consciousness to actually physically sign the contract.

The replacement of Paterno is one of the best examples of a coaching search in recent memory. Better than JC's Ollie maneuver. I doubt they sink to GS's level.
I suspect they will overvalue past ties to PSU this time around but not that much. Golden's not getting the job either.

Reaction Score
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Penn State: Mort says, "The staff at Penn State, they do not expect O'Brien to be back, even though there has been some recruits that have said (he will). O'Brien has been underground. He could have come out 48 hours ago and just said that nothing is going on and that he's staying."

Just some info

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
UconnFamily said:
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Penn State: Mort says, "The staff at Penn State, they do not expect O'Brien to be back, even though there has been some recruits that have said (he will). O'Brien has been underground. He could have come out 48 hours ago and just said that nothing is going on and that he's staying."

Just some info

Around here we call it, pulling an Edsall.

He's gone to the NFL, if not Houston then somewhere else. He's made that as clear as Randy did about wanting another job.

He made it through the hard part, left a top QB prospect, rebuilt the program enough so that it's a valuable job. If I'm PSU fans, I'm dissapointed he didn't see it through, but they can't really complain much.

Reaction Score
Around here we call it, pulling an Edsall.

He's gone to the NFL, if not Houston then somewhere else. He's made that as clear as Randy did about wanting another job.

He made it through the hard part, left a top QB prospect, rebuilt the program enough so that it's a valuable job. If I'm PSU fans, I'm dissapointed he didn't see it through, but they can't really complain much.

Pulling for Schiano to Penn State HARD. Bad for Penn State. bad for Rutgers!

Reaction Score
Pulling for Schiano to Penn State HARD. Bad for Penn State. bad for Rutgers!

Things coming together for Schiano/Penn State?

Per CoachingSearch.com:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Per Jay Glazer, head coach Greg Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik have been dismissed.

Reaction Score
From Football Scoop:

Houston Texans:
Mort is reporting that a deal between the Texans and Bill O'Brien is imminent and should be done within the next 24 hours. @RapSheet adds that the team will not interview Ken Whisenhunt now that the Chargers are in the playoffs.

Maybe HCBD has a chance with a recruit or two of theirs. I wonder if the new coach at PSU, whoever that may be, will honor all of the commitments made to the current recruits. If not, Chaz Wright could be looking for another new school again! :confused:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My family are huge PSU fans and while they're upset O'Brien is leaving, they are very glad he did what he did. The guy took an extreme dumpster fire and turned that program around so that it's a favorable top level job again. Even with all the sanctions lingering, O'Brien has made PSU respectable again and they should have no trouble luring a top coach.

Very glad we ended our search when we did now that Texas and PSU are opening and more will soon follow as the dominoes fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom