It is obvious that Stewart is the leader of this team... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It is obvious that Stewart is the leader of this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck. She's been a team captain on almost every USA team she's played on. She not only has a leader's mentality, but she WANTS to be a leader. I can see Moriah directing traffic as the PG naturally does that, but Morgan (as Meghan Culmo put it) is the heart and soul of the team.
It haS TO BE A STARTER.

Reaction Score
I suspect there will not be A leader. More like leaders in different situations.
I could see Stewie being the "talk to the team, call a meeting" kind of leader. She automatically has some authority based on her past accomplishments, performance, and outside perceptions. And she seems to have stepped up to it a bit following the loss. But I can also see her relying on Tuck and KML as wingmen. KML really doesn't suit the leadership role and Tuck hasn't been a starter but they can form a great leadership team.
Then I think they need a floor general. Moriah should fill this role. I am concerned about her staying in control. Unfortunately the current emphasis on playing faster might feed into that issue.

Even more than leadership, it seems the team needs cohesion and chemistry. Hopefully they will continue working hard and the team will gel as most UConn teams do!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Everybody is calling for leadership, including the pundits. And there are those who are defining who should be the leader.

So my question for is - What are the qualities of a leader? What do you expect to see?

I'll start with a few qualities I believe a leader must have:
1. Set the example
2. Listen to learn from you teammates and peers
3. Be able to manage conflict
4. Be able to effectively communicate with peers and coaches

What say all?

I agree. And I think it will be Morgan Tuck, who was the captain for every USA basketball team she was on. Morgan will walk the walk and talk the talk. WE may not see it. But Geno and the team will. He talks about Morgan, in many ways, the same way he talked about Kelly. We just haven't seen enough of her yet, due to injuries. But I bet she makes the most of the next three years.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To be a Leader you must be respected by your team mates. A coach on the court. You must have the qualities to lead. You are not born a leader you are judged by your actions. A leader will emerge on this team. Someone who will step up, someone with a winning attitude, someone who has compassion for their team mates and gives recognition to them for making a great play. The ole clique the person who demonstrates the unique attribute of when the going gets tuff give me the ball and I will make something happen. This person exemplifies confidence, will Persevere and have the courage to stand up and Refuse to Lose when the goin gets tuff .. Who is this person? We don't know yet. No one in the starting lineup up to this point has stepped up and taken control.

Perhaps this is why Geno has been changing the starting lineup. Over this weekend we will see who team mates look up to and who steps up in big situations. Geno changed the lineup again inserting Morgan Tuck. Perhaps our leader is Morgan Tuck who appears to be a starter now.

Reaction Score
OldAlum makes a good point with the suggestion of having more than one leader. Last season, we had Bria and Stefanie lead the team and they both had very different personalities and leadership styles. It seems to me that this junior class is going to step up and take the reigns.
I agree with the posters that say Morgan will become a leader of this team. With her experience of being captain on all the US teams she's been on as well as her working to become more vocal and leading presence on the team, she seems like a natural choice.
I also agree with OldAlum that Moriah has to step up as well. She is the point guard and she is the floor general. Kia will eventually step into this role as she becomes more experienced.
With Stewie, during the Stanford game, she was the one gathering the team together for huddles and leading the huddles. If she can become more vocal, as Rebecca stated in I think the next Geno Project (or an online installment, I can't remember), then she can become a leader on this team as well. Maybe not the leader, but a leader. She clearly wants to be and seems to be working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom