It gets even worse for Rutgers | The Boneyard

It gets even worse for Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep. Guess there's not much to do back home in Minnesota.

Hope the victim pulls through, and that all the facts come out and the proper action is taken swiftly.

Reaction Score
This is a problem that no one should take any pleasure seeing, even if it is Rutgers. Not saying you are enjoying posting sportsart, I doubt you are, don't get me wrong, just saying. This can happen anywhere. This young man, apparently beat the other young man up pretty bad. Permanent damage bad.

"Bad things happen after midnight" ......and....."stay out of night clubs".

Probably two of the most important lessons that any football player at any level can learn, and hopefully NOT the hard way.

Teaching players control of aggression, and violence, and it's existence in the world, and how and when to use it, and when not to, is probably the very most difficult life lesson that any coach can try to teach to a player - but that's getting philosophical.

The incidence of violent crime in the form of assault among football players is well known. It's much higher than the general population. The incidence of things like sexual assault, other violent crime, not so, that's a misconception, but violence of the type that apparently happened with this situation, is well documented, and easily explained. How to keep it to minimum - not so easy.

It can happen anywhere, and does happen everywhere.

The most difficult time of year for any football coach, is the off-season. That's when you've got no control over where the players are, and what they are doing.

Reaction Score
I don't get pleasure out of this and I don't believe it reflects on what Rutgers is as a school.

Just pointing out that the hits keep coming.

Reaction Score
I saw this earlier and was tempted to post it, but I decided that there was no need to feed the Rutgers obsession. It won't help us to celebrate their every failure (institutional or individual). My hope is that they succeed in bringing all of NJ to the Big 10 Network but the NY/NE systems say that you need more of a critical mass before they can justify paying a significant monthly royalty. That's the scenario that will most likely get Delany to pick up the phone.

Reaction Score
I don't get pleasure out of this and I don't believe it reflects on what Rutgers is as a school.

Didn't think you were enjoying it, and wrote that Art. Just hoping that UCONN fans in general don't get ugly over this - lord knows I don't like Rutgers and have taken my shots with words!!!

This is the kind of PR blow that an institution really has very little, to no control over. Not much they can do, except deal with the accountability part, and maintain a program that does everything it can not to foster this kind of behavior. They've got more than enough problems with things they CAN control though over there in Piscataway, so I agree, the hits just do keep coming for them.

Reaction Score
Awful. Two Sets Of Lives Forever Altered Irregardless Of How This Ends Or Of The Precipitating That Led To It. I'm Sure The Rutgers Kid Wishes He Would Just Have Walked Away. Both Families Have To Be Going Through A Terrible Time Right now.

Reaction Score
Awful. Two Sets Of Lives Forever Altered Irregardless Of How This Ends Or Of The Precipitating That Led To It. I'm Sure The Rutgers Kid Wishes He Would Just Have Walked Away. Both Families Have To Be Going Through A Terrible Time Right now.

What with the initial caps? Very strange.

Reaction Score
Yep. Guess there's not much to do back home in Minnesota.

Hope the victim pulls through, and that all the facts come out and the proper action is taken swiftly.

Mankato is about a hour or so southwest of Minneapolis (Vikings have their training camp there..) TV reports stated that both the victim and the accused had graduated from local high schools. Never had hear anything bad about Nelson when he played at Minnesota or when he decided to transfer.. Just a sad story all around...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Agree. UConn was in one of these cycles for a while. It sucks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers just needs to cut ties and get themselves away from this - there's no chance the kid will ever play for them, so get out. The 'still gathering facts' pose is unnecessary.

In reading the latest news, it looks like the victim's prognosis is grim.

Reaction Score
Yeah I want him gone now. His court appearance is probably still ongoing right now though (4:30 EST), so maybe just waiting for that to get over? Should have it done before six to get ahead of the evening news cycle.

Reaction Score
Rutgers just needs to cut ties and get themselves away from this - there's no chance the kid will ever play for them, so get out. The 'still gathering facts' pose is unnecessary.

In reading the latest news, it looks like the victim's prognosis is grim.

I don't hold this against Rutgers in any way shape or form. But the next crisis they handle well will be the first one.

Reaction Score
Football's the least of your worries if you kick and unconscious guy in the head "like a soccer ball" according to reports. Hope he pulls through but this is just a sickening event. Don't think Rutgers has any "decision" to make here.

Reaction Score
Assuming the poor kid pulls through, even if maximal jail time isn't given, dude should be paying for the kid's medical expenses the rest of his (probably shortened) life. This kid is most likely not making a full recovery. This is going to rock his family. He has two kids, so I imagine some compensation is due, given he likely won't be capable of holding a normal job.

It's hard to hold on to faith in humanity when stuff like this happens every day; we just hear about this case because the dipsh-t played football.

Reaction Score
But the next crisis they handle well will be the first one.
Considering the incident itself occurred no more than 60 hours ago, I think we can say RU handled it well.

What's going on with the guy from BC who allegedly beat up a homeless guy?

Reaction Score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...06/rutgers-eric-legrand-big-ten-greg-schiano/

Attaching the link as a recap of recent missteps, and not a request to restart the Shady talk

It's hard to believe the following events actually happened. Rutgers finally found a crisis that they couldn't possibly screw up. Nice job.

In just the last few years, Rutgers ...

1. Kept men's basketball coach Mike Rice after video surfaced of him abusing his players and uttering slurs in practice. School president Robert Barchi did not even watch the tape.
2. Fired Rice months later, after ESPN aired the tape. Really, why would Rutgers think that an embarrassing video would get leaked to a media outlet? That never happens.
3. Forced out well-liked athletic director Tim Pernetti for botching the Rice scandal, then hired Julie Hermann, whose former volleyball players at Tennessee describe her as their sport's Mike Rice: abusive and intimidating. Hermann has since ingratiated herself to people by saying she wants the state's largest newspaper, The Star-Ledger, to go out of business, and by ripping the school's NFL players for not helping enough.
4. Hired Eddie Jordan to replace Rice, only to discover Jordan never graduated from college. This is the kind of thing that perhaps Rutgers could have discovered before hiring Jordan, since, you know, Jordan WENT TO RUTGERS.
5. Hired Kyle Flood as football coach. Flood went 6-7 last season, with six of the losses coming by double digits. He also lost recruits at an alarming rate.

Despite all this, Rutgers landed a spot in the Big Ten, proof that in modern college sports, as in real estate, what really matters is location, location, location. The Big Ten adds the New York market. The Scarlet Knights will make a lot of money and get a lot of attention for being in the Big Ten. Unfortunately, they also have to play Big Ten schools, and that's a problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I hope and expect Philip Nelson to spend the greater part of the next 25 years in a cell.

Reaction Score
A player for Rutgers arrested for assault. Victim is in critical condition.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ers-scarlet-knights-quarterback-philip-nelson

And you know how I know that life isn't fair? Despite a habitual failure to win at a high level in any sport and embarrassing themselves off the field almost constantly for the past several years, they still have a full B1G schedule next year and we are stuck previewing our games with Army and Tulane.

PS - I kid you not, in a recent thread on their board bashing a UConn-leaining article out of CT, one of their posters referred to our conference affiliations and said "scoreboard". They seem to have forgotten that there are actual sporting events played on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom