It’s not over until the fat lady sings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

It’s not over until the fat lady sings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uh, UConn is not getting into the AAU with the overhead structure they have to apply to research proposals. They just cannot win enough contracts to qualify. That means no B1G membership.
Could you explain that? I mean what do research proposals have to do with the amateur athletic union? Also, what overhead structure were you referring to? How does Nebraska get away with it?

Reaction Score
www.aau.edu. The Association of American Universities (AAU) is an organization of American research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education. Founded in 1900,

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The time period corresponds to when UConn had a good football team. PP came in 2011 and attendance hung in there until the program tanked which also tanked attendance. People will come to the Rent if UConn is winning and competitive. This true for almost all college football programs.

And, people seem to think that Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston have fanbases better than UConn. They don’t. Put any of those schools through the UConn football slump and they wouldn’t average 20k.
I think a couple things contributed to that...newness of program and local rivals. It will be hard to get that back. Winning games would be a good start.

Reaction Score
www.aau.edu. The Association of American Universities (AAU) is an organization of American research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education. Founded in 1900,
And UConn does not come close to the required research dollars per year required for consideration in the AAU.

I do not know the particulars of the UConn overhead structure, only that it is considered excessive by funding agencies and is a major impediment to winning research contracts.

Reaction Score
Eleven years you say??? You’re saying in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, UConn was consistently at the bottom of the NCAA statistically??? That’s amazing considering in 2010 UConn was 8-5, and 5-2 in the Big East Conference. In 2011 UConn beat Rutgers 40-22 and Syracuse 17-3, hardly a team at the bottom of the NCAA statistically speaking, wouldn’t you say? In 2012 they beat UMass 37-0, beat Maryland 24-21, beat Pittsburgh 24-17, and beat #18 Louisville 23-20 in 3 OT’s IIRC. My god, how could they beat these teams with such terrible NCAA statistics???? Ok, in 2013 they lost one to, #15 Michigan 23-21, but beat Rutgers again, and beat Memphis 45-10. I think you owe real UConn fans and those UConn teams an apology. If you’re a UConn football fan then I’m Tom Brady.

Again, I said statistically

NCAAF total offense ranking out of 128 schools:

(2011) 116th
(2012) 118th
(2013) 117th
(2014) 126th
(2015) 124th
(2016) 122th
(2017) 50th - Rhett Lashlee OC ( impressive )
(2018) 89th
(2019) 106th

Defensively no one will argue that was are strength for a long time, but in (2017) we were at the bottom statistically at (125th) total defense (2018 - 128th)

STATISTICALLY WE’VE been historically bad which doesn’t translate to wins. I’m done entertaining you.

Reaction Score
And UConn does not come close to the required research dollars per year required for consideration in the AAU.

I do not know the particulars of the UConn overhead structure, only that it is considered excessive by funding agencies and is a major impediment to winning research contracts.
We’re better suited for the ACC anyway, I hope they expand and we’re considered.

Reaction Score

(2011) 116th
(2012) 118th
(2013) 117th
(2014) 126th
(2015) 124th
(2016) 122th
(2018) 89th
(2019) 106th

Defensively no one will argue that was are strength for a long time, but in (2017) we were at the bottom statistically at (125th) total defense (2018 - 128th)

STATISTICALLY WE’VE been historically bad which doesn’t translate to wins. I’m done entertaining you.
From 2014 on I agree with you, thanks to Diaco’s expert coaching, and Edsall’s big coaching mistakes. Before 2014 however you are WAY off base and what’s sad is you know it. Keep up the entertaining, I love it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It is a football world and UConn was seen as a basketball school in that football world.

Swofford has said that in the 80's-early 90's that the ACC media money was split 50-50 basketball and football. He stated that they were caught flat footed when they were told that the ACC contract would value football as much as 80%. He was criticisized for building a basketball league in a world turning to football.

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

“As athletic directors and commissioners, you focus on things within your control, and you try not to worry too much about things beyond your control,” Corrigan said. “What happened with football, back in the 1980s, is a great example of how our jobs in college sports were changing, without us totally seeing or comprehending it at the time".

Re 2011 ACC expansion thoughts...

At the time, then-Boston College AD Gene DeFilippo caught a lot of flak, and later apologized, for stating publicly that long-time ACC partner ESPN had played a major role in the league’s expansion decisions.

“You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money,” DeFilippo said. “TV — ESPN — is the one who told us what to do. This was football. It had nothing to do with basketball.”

A poor choice of wording...but he was correct...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is football valued by the media ? Viewership

During the 2019-20 season, not one regular season basketball game topped 3 million viewers (UNC-Duke rated highest at 2.67 mill)....in the 2019 football regular season, over 300 games topped 3 million viewers

Reaction Score
edit above...over 30 (not 300) games topped 3 million...33 games topped 5 million in regular season.

Reaction Score

(2011) 116th
(2012) 118th
(2013) 117th
(2014) 126th
(2015) 124th
(2016) 122th
(2018) 89th
(2019) 106th

Also you left out 2010 for some reason (Lol), gee I wonder why? You did say 11 seasons didn’t you? :rolleyes:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cincy is a scary program moving forward. When they were in the BE with us they had some tremendous years and I believe were ranked #2 for a while in 2009. Back in a power conference they can easily continue to ride the momentum they’ve built under Fickle.

Reaction Score
Why is football valued by the media ? Viewership

During the 2019-20 season, not one regular season basketball game topped 3 million viewers (UNC-Duke rated highest at 2.67 mill)....in the 2019 football regular season, over 300 games topped 3 million viewers
Let's look at it in a simple way.

In 2015, NCAA football games average 1.9 million viewers across the networks while college basketball games average 440k viewers. Lets say football schedules are 12 games and basketball schedules are 35 games, lets calculate viewer-hours for an average P5 school:

College football: 1.9 million viewers x 12 games = 22.8 million viewers x 3 hours = 68.4 million viewer-hours

College basketball: 440k viewers x 35 games = 15.4 million viewers x 2 hours = 30.8 million viewer-hours

So, based on viewership, college football should be 70% of revenues and college basketball 30% for an average P5 school. Conferences skew to the two different sports in material ways. For example, I would assume the SEC numbers probably work out to 85% football and 15% basketball and the ACC numbers work out to 60% football and 40% basketball. Maybe the addition of the Notre Dame games increase the football % higher in the ACC.

Remember, the above number are based on one team in a P5 conference. There are many more college basketball games aired from non-P5/G5 conferences, so overall college basketball viewership is higher % than in the above example.

But, there is another factor that skews the perception that football is more lucrative than college basketball and that is the conferences control the revenues of bowl and CFP revenues vs the NCAA's control of revenues from the NCAA basketball tournament. The major bowls plus the CFP media revenues are ~$600 million and the NCAA tournament TV revenues are ~$900 million. Most of the money from the bowls and CFP go to the conferences while the NCAA uses the revenues to fund their expenses for administration and other sports and they provide payouts to all conferences and divisions (D2 and D3).

I think the NCAA tournament media contract is undervalued. The first 4 days of the NCAA tournament averaged 8.5 million TV viewers and that doesn't include streamers. How many people are streaming in offices across the country? Unfortunately, the NCAA locked in the contract until 2032, I think.

Reaction Score
Also you left out 2010 for some reason (Lol), gee I wonder why? You did say 11 seasons didn’t you? :rolleyes:

I’m off a year or two, I said 10-11yrs I’m off by one or two, you must be a lonely man/woman, and if you’re married I feel bad for your wife or husband, point is we’ve been bad bad for a LONG time now and it hasn’t translated into wins.

Reaction Score
I’m off a year or two, I said 10-11yrs I’m off by one or two, you must be a lonely man/woman, and if you’re married I feel bad for your wife or husband, point is we’ve been bad bad for a LONG time now and it hasn’t translated into wins.
Ok, let the insults fly while you’re backtracking, that’s all you have. Troll

Reaction Score
UConnJim...

You are definiteky on to something...football and especially the bowl games and playoff have been somewhat monetized outsude of the NCAA.

The NCAA hasdips into the basketball tournament and takes a big wad...

Reaction Score
We had two things almost twenty years ago when we started that we don't have now. We had fans who thought this would be fun, who didn't have to sit through 12 years without a winning season, and we had a conference tie in that meant if we won our conference, which didn't have any traditional superpowers, we would play in a Top 4 bowl. Neither of those are there now.

NO ONE IS SAYING WE WOULDN'T BENEFIT FROM A BETTER COACH. CERTAINLY I'M NOT SAYING THAT. But the question remains as to what we will accomplish with a better coach, and we're nowhere near where we were in terms of either attracting that guy or keeping him after some initial success. (And yes, I'd take initial success.)
I think we fundamentally agree. UConn has challenges and we certainly don’t have the BCS or P5 moniker like RE had during his 1.0 term.

but you control the things you can and try to mitigate those you can’t. You get the best coach you can and get this program some forward momentum. Best coach isn’t some objective term but very fluid and has to account for UConn’s current status.
One only has to look at Army for a very similar situation (except football tradition/history).

they struggled. People wanted program dropped. Even brought in NFL coach. Finally, brought in coach that fit. Was he beat coach? Probably not. But he stopped bleeding, got their pride back, and turned the program around. HCRE was not the right coach for last 2-3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything except the shortsightedness of BC. This was intentional so they could (paraphrasing) "remain the face of college athletics in New England". In some fantasy world they thought, in 2011, they were the face of New England college sports. We shall see as the dominos fall over the next decade where BC ends up if the ACC falls apart. They bring absolutely no value to that conference now. They are equivalent to Wake Forrest (or Vandy in the SEC).

Not saying this will happen, but if the ACC gets poached by a SEC / Big10 mega conference and the leftover northeast schools (Cuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.) need a new home in the NEW New Big East, I hope UConn gets the last laugh and boxes out BC. F them.

The only problem is, if that were to happen to the schools you list there would also be others in the same position (NCST, GT, Louisville, etc.) They would then just form an all sport conference which while not on the same level as the 'super conferences' would still be superior to joining the NBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom