It’s not over until the fat lady sings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It’s not over until the fat lady sings

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Had B12 took UL and WVU, UCONN would be in the ACC today. We can all thank Texas for this. UL is much better fit for the B12 while UCONN is a much better fit for the ACC. Instead, we are in the mess we are in today thanks to Texas and its stranglehold over the B12 at that time.

Being in the ACC does not guarantee any wins, but at least we will be playing our old BE rivals every week. I am pretty confident even if UCONN was in the ACC, we would still suck in football with PP, Diaco, and Edsall 2.0.
It was supposed to be UConn and Cuse to the ACC but BC vetoed that. That is the only reason we are not in the ACC. We were their top choice before Pitt.

Reaction Score
Nebraska got the boot after they were invited.
They should not be in the BIG 10
They are, and just goes to show you that Jim Delany or Kevin Warren really don’t care. I can see any school not an AAU member getting an invite on the condition that they apply for a membership eventually.

Reaction Score
I have learned to accept things I cannot change.

I look forward to watching the rejuvenated UConn mens basketball competing in the Big East Conference.

Live is not all that bad.

Reaction Score
It was supposed to be UConn and Cuse to the ACC but BC vetoed that. That is the only reason we are not in the ACC. We were their top choice before Pitt.

I also wonder if, in an alternate past, the initial ACC expansion comes in 2007 or 2008 if UConn (and not BC) is the choice for the northeastern markets. By that point UConn has multiple national titles in basketball, 2-3 bowl trips and a recent share of the Big East football title.

Could UConn have been the school condemning BC to purgatory in that timeline? We'll never know.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score

I look forward to watching the rejuvenated UConn mens basketball competing in the Big East Conference.

Yup. Life and let life.

Reaction Score
We can say UConn fans don’t care about major college football and it’s seemingly accurate. I guess my question is the real issue that Uconn fans don’t care because we have sucked for a decade? If we were winning consistently there would be no issue….at least in my opinion. FANS IN THIS REGION CARE ABOUT WINNING. You see it in every sport in the northeast.
I agree and have been saying this about UConn Alum is that they are bandwagon alum. I won't call them fans because fans cheer on their school through good and bad. We have a frontrunner fanbase. Only care if our teams are good.

Reaction Score

What most Uconn fans seem to forget or ignore is that state of the football program can and will have serious consequences for UConn basketball programs.

If the P4 or whatever decides to break away, does anyone honestly think they will take the Big East with them? Also, schools in those P4 conferences have more money to spend on coaches, facilities, etc. Uconn basketball will lose much of its luster if it's not in a major conference. We need football to be part of that conversation. This is why those that keep calling for football to drop to FCS or whatever are seriously shortsighted.

Make no mistake, Uconn should be in the P4 confrence over many current P4 schools. We have to improve the football program to be considered, and be ready when conference realignment comes again.

Reaction Score

Yes I remember the ACC/ESPiN raid on the Big East very well.

BCU plotted with Miami to get into the ACC behind the Big East's back. ACC referred to BC as BCU when they introduced BC. They could not even get the school's name right.

It was very shortsighted of BCU not to invite Uconn at that time since both could increase interest in college football in New England together much more vs just BCU on its own. To this date, no one cares about BCU in New England.

Second time around, the Carolina schools and Virginia wanted Uconn. Eventually, the football schools (Clemson and FSU) won out and ACC took UL. Again, it was another bad decision since UConn fits the ACC profile much more than UL. UL hasn't done squat since joined the ACC. UL should be in the B12 while Uconn should be in the ACC vs the crappy set up we all are in now.

Reaction Score

BCU plotted with Miami to get into the ACC behind the Big East's back. ACC referred to BC as BCU when they introduced BC. They could not even get the school's name right.

It was very shortsighted of BCU not to invite Uconn at that time since both could increase interest in college football in New England together much more vs just BCU on its own. To this date, no one cares about BCU in New England.

Second time around, the Carolina schools and Virginia wanted Uconn. Eventually, the football schools (Clemson and FSU) won out and ACC took UL. Again, it was another bad decision since UConn fits the ACC profile much more than UL. UL hasn't done squat since joined the ACC. UL should be in the B12 while Uconn should be in the ACC vs the crappy set up we all are in now.
Bottom line, UConn’s athletic dept at the time just wasn’t hungry enough. Both Hathaway and Ward sat on their fat behinds. Louisville was very hungry and proactive at the time.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It was very shortsighted of BCU not to invite Uconn at that time
I'm a huge UConn homer, but c'mon man... UConn was barely moved out of the trailers, while Miami was a perennial championship contender located in a recruiting hotbed. Miami was really good back then.

Reaction Score
I agree and have been saying this about UConn Alum is that they are bandwagon alum. I won't call them fans because fans cheer on their school through good and bad. We have a frontrunner fanbase. Only care if our teams are good.
Can you blame alums and fans though? UConn has been historically bad. Not bad, but bad bad for some time now. It’s not like we’re losing games competitively and winning games we should convincingly. People are going to spend money in hopes of getting their money’s worth and given how bad we’ve been it’s basically throwing your hard earned money in the trash. I’d rather watch the games on TV for free.
Once the team starts to give us some excitement I’ll start to spend some money. Win or lose. We didn’t win much games with Don Brown as DC but man that defense was fun to watch, that’s a defense I would pay to watch. Lashlees offense was also fun to watch, that’s an offense I would also pay to watch. If the product is good the consumers will pay.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Agree with everything except the shortsightedness of BC. This was intentional so they could (paraphrasing) "remain the face of college athletics in New England". In some fantasy world they thought, in 2011, they were the face of New England college sports. We shall see as the dominos fall over the next decade where BC ends up if the ACC falls apart. They bring absolutely no value to that conference now. They are equivalent to Wake Forrest (or Vandy in the SEC).

Not saying this will happen, but if the ACC gets poached by a SEC / Big10 mega conference and the leftover northeast schools (Cuse, Pitt, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.) need a new home in the NEW New Big East, I hope UConn gets the last laugh and boxes out BC. F them.

Reaction Score
Can you blame alums and fans though? UConn has been historically bad. Not bad, but bad bad for some time now. It’s not like we’re losing games competitively and winning games we should convincingly. People are going to spend money in hopes of getting their money’s worth and given how bad we’ve been it’s basically throwing your hard earned money in the trash. I’d rather watch the games on TV for free.
Once the team starts to give us some excitement I’ll start to spend some money. Win or lose. We didn’t win much games with Don Brown as DC but man that defense was fun to watch, that’s a defense I would pay to watch. Lashlees offense was also fun to watch, that’s an offense I would also pay to watch. If the product is good the consumers will pay.
Oh come on, cut the team some slack. UConn football went from a lowly FCS but rising school in the late 1990’s to an FBS bowl contender virtually overnight, they beat Notre Dame in Notre Dames house, had several Big East Championships, sent many players on to the NFL, and they stayed that way until around 2011. The program Edsall created he destroyed when he flew straight to Maryland (didn’t come back with the team) after losing to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. The school is at fault for horrendous coaching hires after he left. They correct all that now with one good hire, and a couple years of a new staff that knows how to recruit.

Reaction Score
Oh come on, cut the team some slack. UConn football went from a lowly FCS but rising school in the late 1990’s to an FBS bowl contender virtually overnight, they beat Notre Dame in Notre Dames house, had several Big East Championships, sent many players on to the NFL, and they stayed that way until around 2011. The program Edsall created he destroyed when he flew straight to Maryland (didn’t come back with the team) after losing to Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. The school is at fault for horrendous coaching hires after he left. They correct all that now with one good hire, and a couple years of a new staff that knows how to recruit.
I think we are all aware of UConn’s history. Not sure what your argument is. My reply was towards the alum bandwagon comment. Had nothing to do with what happened prior to 2011.

Reaction Score
I think we are all aware of UConn’s history. Not sure what your argument is. My reply was towards the alum bandwagon comment. Had nothing to do with what happened prior to 2011.
My argument is they were not historically bad for ELEVEN years. They were the fastest rising FBS football program in many many years. Troll

Reaction Score
My argument is they were not historically bad for ELEVEN years. They were the fastest rising FBS football program in many many years. Troll
Dude go take your meds, you have no clue what you’re talking about. We have been historically bad since 2011, consistently in the bottom of every statistic. I’ve been a die hard UConn football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball fan since I was a kid. Sorry the facts hurts your soul. Go pick an argument with someone else

Reaction Score
To all of the football naysayers, here are the average football attendance numbers for the 10 years from 2004 to 2013 of UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Can you pick which school matches which number?

Reaction Score
Dude go take your meds, you have no clue what you’re talking about. We have been historically bad since 2011, consistently in the bottom of every statistic. I’ve been a die hard UConn football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball fan since I was a kid. Sorry the facts hurts your soul. Go pick an argument with someone else
I know what I’m talking about, and it sounds to me like you want UConn to be called HISTORICALLY BAD for having a bad team for only 8 or 9 years. If you want “historically bad” football teams over 20 or 30 years look at Kansas, Wake Forest, Indiana, Louisiana, UTEP, Kent State, Rice, New Mexico State. Leave UConn out of this. Yes, UConn has been bad for 8 or 9 years. I don’t see that as being historic. Now with Edsall gone I think things will start looking up and the players actually liking the coach they’re playing for so maybe we will see a difference soon. Stop trying to manufacture “facts” as you call them.

Reaction Score
To all of the football naysayers, here are the average football attendance numbers for the 10 years from 2004 to 2013 of UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Can you pick which school matches which number?

Here is the answer:

37,452: UConn
34,894: UCF
28,849: Cincinnati
23,982: Houston

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a tool....but how are Big East era attendance numbers relevant today?
The time period corresponds to when UConn had a good football team. PP came in 2011 and attendance hung in there until the program tanked which also tanked attendance. People will come to the Rent if UConn is winning and competitive. This true for almost all college football programs.

And, people seem to think that Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston have fanbases better than UConn. They don’t. Put any of those schools through the UConn football slump and they wouldn’t average 20k.

Reaction Score
If and when the Big Ten expands, they are not taking the next one or two schools based on just football, if that were the case then why did they invite Rutgers? They’re taking the next two teams that can ADD to the Big Tens footprint and can ADD the most crazy fans with TV sets. Minor reasons will be how well the schools Athletic Dept is run in general, the academic standing of the schools, and can grab the most viewers in the Northeast, particularly the New York metro area, including Fairfield County in Connecticut. That being said, with Edsall gone, I take that as a huge positive for UConn going forward and a gigantic positive if UConn hires a decent football coach. Both UConn’s basketball programs might be an enticement as well.
Uh, UConn is not getting into the AAU with the overhead structure they have to apply to research proposals. They just cannot win enough contracts to qualify. That means no B1G membership.

Reaction Score
I know what I’m talking about, and it sounds to me like you want UConn to be called HISTORICALLY BAD for having a bad team for only 8 or 9 years. If you want “historically bad” football teams over 20 or 30 years look at Kansas, Wake Forest, Indiana, Louisiana, UTEP, Kent State, Rice, New Mexico State. Leave UConn out of this. Yes, UConn has been bad for 8 or 9 years. I don’t see that as being historic. Now with Edsall gone I think things will start looking up and the players actually liking the coach they’re playing for so maybe we will see a difference soon. Stop trying to manufacture “facts” as you call them.
HISTORICALLY BAD STATISTICALLY! For the past 11yrs we’ve been CONSISTENTLY in the bottom of the NCAA STATISTICALLY and that’s not manufactured that’s a fact

Reaction Score
HISTORICALLY BAD STATISTICALLY! For the past 11yrs we’ve been CONSISTENTLY in the bottom of the NCAA STATISTICALLY and that’s not manufactured that’s a fact
Eleven years you say??? You’re saying in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, UConn was consistently at the bottom of the NCAA statistically??? That’s amazing considering in 2010 UConn was 8-5, and 5-2 in the Big East Conference. In 2011 UConn beat Rutgers 40-22 and Syracuse 17-3, hardly a team at the bottom of the NCAA statistically speaking, wouldn’t you say? In 2012 they beat UMass 37-0, beat Maryland 24-21, beat Pittsburgh 24-17, and beat #18 Louisville 23-20 in 3 OT’s IIRC. My god, how could they beat these teams with such terrible NCAA statistics???? Ok, in 2013 they lost one to, #15 Michigan 23-21, but beat Rutgers again, and beat Memphis 45-10. I think you owe real UConn fans and those UConn teams an apology. If you’re a UConn football fan then I’m Tom Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom