It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game. | Page 16 | The Boneyard

It’s hard to be that unprepared for a game.

Reaction Score
Damn you guys are relentless. We had a fighters chance of putting the game away, and came up short.

Don't blame the players or coach.
I didn't give you a Dislike or a Like either.

Your comment in the second sentence about a fighter's chance makes some sense, but bad in game decisions and execution, reduced the "fighter's chance."

And, some of the players missed too many bunnies, while others fouled Allen late in the shot clock on two 3's that likely would have been missed. The result: extra points for NMSU and a loss.

And, the coach, well why didn't he make some adjustments for Allen?

We'll know better how good a team NMSU is, after they play Arkansas.

Reaction Score
Hey, you found the 1 really open perimeter shot he had all game. Great job!
37 points and he had one open look. Come on. Gee I found another when Polley was guarding him.

Reaction Score
Damn you guys are relentless. We had a fighters chance of putting the game away, and came up short.

Don't blame the players or coach.
Against a 12 seed that isn't very good. Arkansas is going to kill them.

Having a "fighting chance" against a team we should have beaten by double figures is exactly why we should blame the coaches, the players, or both.

Reaction Score
37 points and he had one open look. Come on. Gee I found another when Polley was guarding him.
Aside from free throws, the huge majority of his points were on step back fade away 3s with a hand in his face and turn around fade away 2s with a hand in his face. Keep cherry picking though.

Reaction Score
You can argue about Hurley all you want, but the one resounding issue was our slow starts. If Hurley fixes that next season our improvement (i.e. wins) should be positively impacted.

If he doesn't fix that, then we have a problem.

With that said the only offensive firepower we have returning is Sanogo and Hawkins (small sample). Anyway he needs to figure out an effective offensive 5 even if defensively we sacrifice points.

This fan found this team very boring, slow and unexciting. There was no one close to having 30 point game, hot hand or dominating performance. Hell I can only recall 1 maybe two daggers, meaning there was no one to be counted on to take the final shot.

I guess my biggest request is for Hurley next season to put some excitement on the floor for those of us who are not so defense focused. I guess you get a certain age where offensive production is more exciting than defensive production.

Reaction Score
Aside from free throws, the huge majority of his points were on step back fade away 3s with a hand in his face and turn around fade away 2s with a hand in his face. Keep cherry picking though.
Cherry picking! he had 37 points! Seems to me a better defensive gameplan would be to do more than run up and try to put a hand in his face. Especially during winning time. We give defenses credit all the time for locking down one of our players. The defense just didn't get it done, whatever the plan was. cherry picking.

Reaction Score
Cherry picking! he had 37 points! Seems to me a better defensive gameplan would be to do more than run up and try to put a hand in his face. Especially during winning time. We give defenses credit all the time for locking down one of our players. The defense just didn't get it done, whatever the plan was. cherry picking.
I didn't realize you were actually Kolombo. Maybe leave the analysis to people with 2 eyes.

Reaction Score
You can argue about Hurley all you want, but the one resounding issue was our slow starts. If Hurley fixes that next season our improvement (i.e. wins) should be positively impacted.

If he doesn't fix that, then we have a problem.

With that said the only offensive firepower we have returning is Sanogo and Hawkins (small sample). Anyway he needs to figure out an effective offensive 5 even if defensively we sacrifice points.

This fan found this team very boring, slow and unexciting. There was no one close to having 30 point game, hot hand or dominating performance. Hell I can only recall 1 maybe two daggers, meaning there was no one to be counted on to take the final shot.

I guess my biggest request is for Hurley next season to put some excitement on the floor for those of us who are not so defense focused. I guess you get a certain age where offensive production is more exciting than defensive production.
One example of that, was the Florida Gulf Coast Team, when coached by Andy Enfield (now at USC).

Pure excitement, but not a lot on the defensive end. Hard to get it even on both ends.

The only semblance of that was when UConn destroyed Georgetown this season in the first meeting.

Takes a really poor defensive team to bring out showtime for the other team.

Reaction Score
Hurley to the team prior to each practice leading up to the NMS game: “Ok guys, I want to work on our culture, our identity. Play hard, rebound hard, defend hard. Let’s go!”
Post-practice huddle-
Hurley: “Great job working on our culture, our identity everyone!”
Player 1: “ Hey coach- I’ve heard that Teddy Allen is a real load. What’s our strategy to stop him?”
Hurley: “Our culture, our identity!”
Player 2: “ Coach- is that a strategy?”
Player 1: “Uh-oh, I think he might be on tilt again.”
Hurley: “Actually, forget all that. I need to be able to say that we got away from our culture and our identity during the postgame press conference. Remember, that’s what I always say.”

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
I do believe that with 5:08 left in the game the score was 58-58 . Basically an OT period. Irregardless of what happened previously, all UConn had to do was be the better team for.5:08, and did not.

Reaction Score
Teddy made 4 mop-up FTs and 6 FTs on dumb fouled 3-pointers. That's 10 of his points right there.

He took 27 shots. We fouled him on 3 of the misses. He had 3 "easier" looks (1 by the rim, 2 late contested 3's... ironically he missed the rim one). The other 24 shots were guarded and most of them very closely guarded.

At times, we helped with all 5 guys. I call this screenshot: "The Boneyard says we didn't try to guard Allen with more than 1 person."
teddy-allen.png

Reaction Score
Hurley to the team prior to each practice leading up to the NMS game: “Ok guys, I want to work on our culture, our identity. Play hard, rebound hard, defend hard. Let’s go!”
Post-practice huddle-
Hurley: “Great job working on our culture, our identity everyone!”
Player 1: “ Hey coach- I’ve heard that Teddy Allen is a real load. What’s our strategy to stop him?”
Player 2: “ Coach- is that a strategy?”
Player 1: “Uh-oh, I think he might be on tilt again.”
Hurley: “Actually, forget all that. I need to be able to say that we got away from our culture and our identity during the postgame press conference. Remember, that’s what I always say.”

I'm sure that took you a while to type and it's not nearly as clever as you probably thought it was.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that took you a while to type and it's not nearly as clever as you probably thought it was.
That was generous. It;s one of the dumbest fricken posts from anyone in the last 24 hrs, which is really saying something

Reaction Score
Teddy made 4 mop-up FTs and 6 FTs on dumb fouled 3-pointers. That's 10 of his points right there.

He took 27 shots. We fouled him on 3 of the misses. He had 3 "easier" looks (1 by the rim, 2 late contested 3's... ironically he missed the rim one). The other 24 shots were guarded and most of them very closely guarded.

At times, we helped with all 5 guys. I call this screenshot: "The Boneyard says we didn't try to guard Allen with more than 1 person."
This can be fun. Granted we don't have a Ricky Moore on this team but there are ways to minimize the dammage.

"The Boneyard says we were prepared to lock down allen."

1647641609952.png

Reaction Score
That picture represents one thirtieth of a second in a 40 minute game. Literally, 1/ 72,000th of the game.

Yet you are drawing conclusions on the entire game base on that 1 in 72,000 instant in the contest. Seems like a bit of a reach. And yes, it is fun to point out how absurd your purported evidence is under examination. I'm sure Detective Columbo would be aghast.

Reaction Score
This can be fun. Granted we don't have a Ricky Moore on this team but there are ways to minimize the dammage.

"The Boneyard says we were prepared to lock down allen."

View attachment 74596
This is one of the 3 of 27 we didn't closely guard and had a late contest.

Look where Cole is on that play and where all the NM St players are. It was off an offensive rebound and Cole hard contested and the guy got him to fly by, so then we had to play 4v5. You have to guard Rice there, he had made a few 3s already also.

Reaction Score
How come you’re not posting all the good defensive possesions that ended in a made shot so we can see how many fall into each category?
Just playing along with the screenshot game. You can easily watch the replay of the game. Whether it was coaching, planning, execution, what have you, our "good defense" simply wasn't good enough. Sometimes you have to play great defense to win big games.

Reaction Score
This is one of the 3 of 27 we didn't closely guard and had a late contest.

Look where Cole is on that play and where all the NM St players are. It was off an offensive rebound and Cole hard contested and the guy got him to fly by, so then we had to play 4v5. You have to guard Rice there, he had made a few 3s already also.
Yeah, Cole messed up there. So there were at least two possessions where we left allen wide open. All I'm saying is there had to be a better plan to try to lock him down, or we just don't have a player capable.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Cole messed up there. So there were at least two possessions where we left allen wide open. All I'm saying is there had to be a better plan to try to lock him down, or we just don't have a player capable.
“There has to be a better plan than playing very good defense 90% of the time”. Bahaha.

Reaction Score
First half Hurley matched height vs height and Jackson could not stop Allen from blowing by him. In the second half Jackson did a good job forcing him left and the ref made a bad call giving Allen 2 free throws. Sanogo's foul was a killer.

Reaction Score
When does "just happened" become a reality check for the head coach? We have a pattern of losing close games because of our offense. At some point the coach needs to look in the mirror

They aren't the better team. We had more talent at 4 of the 5 positions on the floor. They executed better, had more focus, adjusted better, ran better sets, mixed up their defense, etc. We were unprepared AGAIN for a big game.
Nope, NMSU was 100% the better team on Thursday March 17th, 2022 in the Buffalo Region. I never said that they were better then us over all. The best team(s) do not always win during March Madness. #MovingOnSeasonOver

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom