Ishmael El-Amin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Double sorry.. keep forgetting rival links do not work on the BY

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He looks improved. How has he done against strong competition?

Reaction Score
He's got some speed and explosiveness. It also looks like some of those threes were from very deep.

Release looks a little low and while his handle looks good, it doesn't look as tight as some other top guards. That can be deceiving though, so performance against great competition will be the best barometer. I certainly hope KO believes in him and brings him in. I love the El Amin attitude.

Reaction Score
He's facing slightly better than folding chair defense in the open gym video, but I'm rooting for him.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was watching a game from 99 on uconnhuskygames.com and they mentioned that KEA had his baby son Ishmael's name written on his sneakers. Talk about full circle

I'm watching the same season and saw that too. They showed the shoes and the read "Tezzy," a nickname.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure about him.. He fills it up like his daddy did for us... He's a scorer plain and simple.. but he's a shooter first.. the kind of perimeter threat we need.

Reaction Score
One thing's for sure about him.. He fills it up like his daddy did for us... He's a scorer plain and simple.. but he's a shooter first.. the kind of perimeter threat we need.

Question is...is he good enough to play at a school like UConn and challenge Gilbert/Adams for minutes?

Reaction Score
Question is...is he good enough to play at a school like UConn and challenge Gilbert/Adams for minutes?

If Adams is even on the team by then. We're going to need some more guards, and they're not all going to be top-50 guys.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Would he fill Sam Jr.'s role with us with a possible plus?

Reaction Score
If Adams is even on the team by then. We're going to need some more guards, and they're not all going to be top-50 guys.
That is a good point. It's always a catch-22. If you're a program that has recruited to 20, 50 or whatever level recruits at a given position, it's a challenge to add another recruit at that same position of that similar level since they know they will be battling them for PT. This applies to recruits within the same class and ones that worry about upperclassmen that might still be around while they burn through some of their eligibility. This becomes quite problematic with the 1-and-done and even 2-and-done type recruits. Yeah, I know many come in thinking they're one of those, but end up staying longer, but the fact is many have that mindset while being recruited.

Now apply similar thought to a lesser recruit who sees potentially better players at his position in his same class or one ahead of him. If the recruit feels he's better than his ranking, he might be more than willing to join a program and earn his PT. If he realizes he's not quite as talented but believes he's good enough for the program's level and doesn't mind not being a starter and getting small amounts of PT early, with the hope he'd carve out more as an upperclassman, he too might be willing to accept a ship to that type of program. Maybe IEA fits one of those to categories and would love to attend the same program as his dad.

What usually happens is if the recruit is a legit talent for the level of the program but sees too much PT traffic ahead of him, he's more than likely going to pick a program that's a notch below (for example, D1 but not elite) or a program at or close to the same level that simply doesn't have players at his position that are much better than him. Some simply would rather start or get solid minutes somewhere else than to be a role player or a seldom used player at a program that is stacked at his position.

Sometimes UConn gets players who are at a similar level within the same class such as Shad and Denham. JC was able to convince them that there would be times when they both would be on the floor at the same time, and that there was not much of a log jam ahead of them, at least their Soph year on. In another case KO was able to convince Gilbert to come even though Adams, another elite PG-Combo is just one class ahead of him. Where the challenge is when it comes to that 3rd player at that position. Now granted Adams and Gilbert can and will likely be on the floor together at the same time, ala Kemba/Bazz and Bazz/Boatright. But if a program has a combination of PG-Combos, a true 2-Guard, and/or a 2/3 Combo, etc., it becomes a tough sell to a recruit who is a PG, or some sort of Combo-Guard. Sometimes the best type of player to add is one who looks like a small reach for that level, but is hopefully better than advertised. IMO, try to add a player who has the athleticism for that level but might be a tad undersized or one that might be a tad challenged athletically but has some high skills such as a very good passer, handler, shooter, high BBIQ, etc. Beverly, once healthy fit one of those. He was not quite the athlete, but has solid BBIQ as long as he wasn't trying to do too much. E. J. Harrison, although a transfer is another good example.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ishmael's recruiting if UConn is on some more talented PGs or PG-Combos.

Reaction Score

Sure I just haven't heard too much about El-Amin that's why I'm not sure if he can play at this level or not. He could be a great 3rd guard in a few years behind Ashton-Langford and Gilbert once Adams in gone.

Reaction Score
He looks like a young Khalid, shoots like one, walks and run like his father. But does he have the same swagger? Can he jump on a scorer's table and shout "We shocked the world?"

Reaction Score
my favorite saying and hash tag...should be our damn school motto ... should be a banner at Gampel and XL.... #weshockedtheworld

Reaction Score
The kid has game and he's KEA's kid. Hard to look at it without thinking about dad and what he brought to Storrs but is he UConn ready? Tough to say but there's time, hope he is.

Reaction Score
This doesnt seem like that much of a gamble. Hope they make this happen.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
If this kid has a good junior season and can get himself in the top 100...we'll be all over him I'd assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom