OT: - (Ish) Rebounding Technique | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: (Ish) Rebounding Technique

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Some guys teach to step across the other players foot. Never heard of the knee thing, but i Agree

Step on their foot.

Then you know they're going nowhere.

the Q

Reaction Score
For the coaches out there:

How are you teaching rebounding?

Old school:
- step across
- elbows up
- push back
- get the ball

This kind of rebounding is very horizontal. The whole team is supposed to create a shell with their man so everyone on offense is inside the defender before grabbing the board.

Some coaches even teach to hold the box out after the ball has hit the rim, even hit the ground. Some also teach a complete box out OUTSIDE the 3 pt line.

Think Kevin Love.

New school (how I teach):

Ball goes up, you hit a body with a forearm and pursue the ball immediately.

This style is less about technique. More about athleticism and mentality.

Think Rodman.

What are you all doing?

I've been waiting for this thread. Rebounding is one of my all-time favorite things to talk about. it was MO when I played. :)

The problem is you have no leverage in that situation, unless the description is just too lax. Also, how are you positioned when you do that? The full complete box out (not driving them out 5 feet but getting position) does a few things:

- gives you the leverage between 2 players
- gives you better rebound positioning
- squares you up with the basket to give you a bigger rebounding radius than other techniques

I like doing this and then playing it off the rim with your athleticism and mentality. You want to give yourself as much time as possible with the enhanced position so you can see where the ball is going to go. If your players leave too early they become susceptible to misreads and long rebounds or even just guys following them and getting up over them because they didn't do a full box out.

However, this whole convo would be a lot easier to review with video.

the Q

Reaction Score
The big thing that I think kids forget about is that rebounding isn’t just about getting the ball. It is also about keeping your man from getting the ball. These “old-school” positioning tips will help them do just that.

Exactly.

Also, trying to teach average kids to be like Rodman is hard.

the Q

Reaction Score
Im a step on his foot,Thumb hook to the waistband and a hip check kinda guy. Montoe Park taught.

Amateur.

step on his foot. Raise one arm up in the air like you're posting up, and then hook with the other.

with the 2 man crews it's easy to get away with.

probably less so with a 3 man crew.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agreed on the interior. But what about these coaches teaching a traditional box out at the 3 point line?

Long shots lead to long rebounds.

pretty simple concept. Everyone has to box out.

the Q

Reaction Score
Rebounding is about breaking the opponents will. If you keep putting your backside into your opponents thigh, most opponents back off as the game progresses

2d3894d93b2f5423fcc37f83c8a6a41853e7cc8cc1fc8075002cdd40a4a87471.jpg

the Q

Reaction Score
This was my least favorite drill from my playing days.

One man up, everyone else in line at the top of the key. Coach takes a shot, the one man up has to box out the first guy in line but can't touch/rebound the ball, his only responsibility is boxing out - typically until the ball went out of bounds, past halfcourt or the coach felt it was time to stop. Had to stop three consecutive guys to get out. That drill was murder on the guards; coaches never called fouls of course so it led to some nasty shoving-in-the-back stuff but certainly built toughness.

We didn't have to wait quite that long, it was just go get it. But he'd throw some crazy shots up there to make it interesting.

So it was really just up and go get it. With the guy at the FT line getting a full head of steam down hill

Not on my watch.

My all-time favorite drill.

the Q

Reaction Score
The old school method of boxing out even if the ball hit the floor belongs in the history books with the two handed shot. The 3 point shot pulls defenses so far away from the basket that creating a "shell" is impossible. Having guards run out to the 3 point line to try to box someone out is silly. Also, long shots lead to long rebounds, making the shell more useless. I have my forwards box out, and then everyone else bumps a guy and goes after the ball.

I want the box out to set up around 5 feet. If the opposing player wants to stand under the basket, let him. Aren't a lot of rebounds right under the rim.

On the offensive boards, I like crashing rather than position rebounding. Do not engage with the defender if you can avoid it. The defender is already between his man and the basket, so he starts with the advantage. Don't try to out muscle the defender because then he knows where you are. Avoid contact with the defensive rebounder if possible.

2-3 zone defensive rebounding is tougher. The baseline players have to find a body, because all it takes is one guy not doing his/her job and there will be a lot of second chance shots.

defensive rebounding is a challenge in 3-2 and 1-3-1 defenses. Communication is really important in those defenses because a lot of times players don't even know the shot is up.

I disagree with a lot of this.

The shell is the shell.

It can get wider, but the principles don't change.

Everyone needs to be boxing out to prevent against long rebounds.

Everyone needs to box, even in a 2-3. What do you think the guards should be doing in a 2-3.

The only part that is true is your last sentence. That's why the guy guarding the shooter needs to communicate the shot it up clearly so his teammates are aware.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to be boxing out to prevent against long rebounds.

Everyone needs to box, even in a 2-3. What do you think the guards should be doing in a 2-3.

The only part that is true is your last sentence. That's why the guy guarding the shooter needs to communicate the shot it up clearly so his teammates are aware.

On an outside shot, the shooter is the most likely guy to follow the shot in, so I want the defender in contact with that guy and boxing him out . Anyone else on the perimeter I want to bump their guy and then crash to the paint, as there's a pretty good chance that their man is rotating back to prevent a run out anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom