Isaiah Whaley Merrimack Postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whaley Merrimack Postgame

Reaction Score
If Terry was a better rebounder they could throw in a Polley or Whaley, may eventually anyway. But Larrier needs to rebound the ball for us to be good anyway, not sure how much he will.

C

Chief00

If you watched the 2 games Polley and Larrier were out there together quite a lot. Larrier with his skill set is better at PF. He actually is the only player with post mobes even though he slim. I rather see Cobb replace Whaley when we need beef. Cobb is a very limited player from what I have seen. I don't understand the infatuation with some fans to want a traditional old school line up. That isn't the best for Jo's offense. His offense relies on guys who can dribble pemetrate and shoot and that isn't the strength of our traditional bigs. Most college 4's now have that skillset and thus why I see Larrier at that position a lot.
I think Cobb is one of our better passers and rebounders. Against a D1 opponent he is the only guy I have seen with legit post moves. I like Whaley but a D1 power guy would literarily kill him inside at this point.

Reaction Score
How is it possible to look at a kid who is over 2 meters and more than 85kg and say he needs to bulk up...lol...when most of us as grown men are likely not even 1.8 meters and/or 75 kg???

The kid is a beast.
Hyperbole much.

Reaction Score
I think Cobb is one of our better passers and rebounders. Against a D1 opponent he is the only guy I have seen with legit post moves. I like Whaley but a D1 power guy would literarily kill him inside at this point.
I haven't seen any real post move from him except one he over powered a much smallee guy, but it is still early so we start to see how capable they are as we get into our bigger games.

I still think a smaller lineup even with Cobb as our only true big man is our best lineup.

Reaction Score

Disagree on Whaley though, maybe for now but he will figure it out, he will be quicker than most of those guys who would so-called kill him. Cobb can pass though and like to. And he uses his left nice to score hopefully his defense improves so he stays on the floor.

C

Chief00

I haven't seen any real post move from him except one he over powered a much smallee guy, but it is still early so we start to see how capable they are as we get into our bigger games.

I still think a smaller lineup even with Cobb as our only true big man is our best lineup.
Small lineups with guys that go 1 for 14 from 3, tend not to work real well. If Chief plays small ball - I want three knock down shooters and 2 other pretty good shooters. We have zero knock down shooters. I am not trying to put anyone down - it’s just what my eyes are telling me.

pj

Reaction Score
Small lineups with guys that go 1 for 14 from 3, tend not to work real well. If Chief plays small ball - I want three knock down shooters and 2 other pretty good shooters. We have zero knock down shooters. I am not trying to put anyone down - it’s just what my eyes are telling me.

This is true enough. Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" teams did well when they shot 40% from 3, which they did for 5 consecutive years 1990-1995, including winning the 93-94 national championship. That national championship team went 6'1", 6'1", 6'6", 6'7", 6'9". Not much taller than we'll be. But they had four starters who shot better than 35% from 3, three better than 40%. His style didn't work so well when he didn't have the shooters.

We have what we have. We'll need defensive pressure, rebounds and turnovers, and fast-break points to help our scoring. I think JC's comment of winning 20 games is a reasonable target. At least it will be a fun style to watch; and "the nice thing about freshmen is they become sophomores."

C

Chief00

This is true enough. Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell" teams did well when they shot 40% from 3, which they did for 5 consecutive years 1990-1995, including winning the 93-94 national championship. That national championship team went 6'1", 6'1", 6'6", 6'7", 6'9". Not much taller than we'll be. But they had four starters who shot better than 35% from 3, three better than 40%. His style didn't work so well when he didn't have the shooters.

We have what we have. We'll need defensive pressure, rebounds and turnovers, and fast-break points to help our scoring. I think JC's comment of winning 20 games is a reasonable target. At least it will be a fun style to watch; and "the nice thing about freshmen is they become sophomores."

On to my next analytical deal- Quite frankly where is the assumption coming from that we will run? I have not seen a KO coached team do that.

pj

Reaction Score
On to my next analytical deal- Quite frankly where is the assumption coming from that we will run? I have not seen a KO coached team do that.

Because it makes sense. For the first time in KO's tenure, we have the depth of athletes to do it. Also, we lack the shooters and size to score in the half court. Points have to come from somewhere, we'd better get as many open court situations as we can.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Because it makes sense. For the first time in KO's tenure, we have the depth of athletes to do it. Also, we lack the shooters and size to score in the half court. Points have to come from somewhere, we'd better get as many open court situations as we can.
We also seem to have better rebounding (or at least an inclination to box out and sweep the glass), Gilbert and Adams to push the ball up the floor, and Polley, Larrier, Whaley, Vital and Diarra capable of finishing on the other end.

Well, we can hope.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I personally would start him and Diarra next game.

Yes! I need to see more of them. Hoping in a year or two maybe they can get on the boards like Sticks and Adrien used to

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom