2023 Recruiting: - Isaiah Miranda | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Isaiah Miranda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Personally I think Watchdog was more on track, even though it was before he was born. Okafor, Boone, Armstrong, Villaneuva were all all around 6'10" or so and played together well.
I get what he's going for but those names don't resonate with someone born in 2005 and the majority of whom were out of the NBA by the time he's watching basketball. Especially when they 1) weren't coached by Dan Hurley and 2) played at a time when teams all played big compared to how when everyone is going small.

That's why I suggested Whaley and Sanogo, because while the rest of the Big East went all in on following Villanova and playing small, Hurley (outside of a few lapses in judgement) played Whaley and Sanogo and dominated the boards. That's how you sell playing time when you have an elite C on the roster already

Reaction Score
I get what he's going for but those names don't resonate with someone born in 2005 and the majority of whom were out of the NBA by the time he's watching basketball. Especially when they 1) weren't coached by Dan Hurley and 2) played at a time when teams all played big compared to how when everyone is going small.

That's why I suggested Whaley and Sanogo, because while the rest of the Big East went all in on following Villanova and playing small, Hurley (outside of a few lapses in judgement) played Whaley and Sanogo and dominated the boards. That's how you sell playing time when you have an elite C on the roster already
Ok, I can see that, but we can still sell him on getting plenty of playing time as a 4 and 5. If we were to land Filipowski forget it. Good point.

Reaction Score

Even Olympian Gavin Edwards played pretty well with some of those guys while at UConn

Reaction Score
Personally I think Watchdog was more on track, even though it was before he was born. Okafor, Boone, Armstrong, Villaneuva were all all around 6'10" or so and played together well.
You're right. My point was not simply size, but playing time, fast break offense, all but Boone could hit outside shots, they were all two way players (well, maybe not Charlie) and, maybe most importantly, all were first round picks who were drafted ahead of most of the players in the country who were higher rated going to college.

It's all part of the history of the program DH embraces so I'd expect he talks about those type players even if they aren't Kevin Durant or whoever else someone might want to hype as the players of today. But, frankly, with so few UConn players in the league I only watch about 10 minutes of NBA basketball per year so I'm not tuned in to today's greats of the NBA. But I will watch JB to see how he's coming along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom