Isaac Hamilton asked out of LOI with UTEP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isaac Hamilton asked out of LOI with UTEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

arch

Reaction Score
If a player wants out of their LOI before they ever attend a particular Univeristy or College said:
In other words, eliminate the LOI?

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
you'd think playing with his bro could be a great selling point. hopefully he isn't set on usc

You can't really say "I want to stay close to home for my sick grandmother in CA" and then go play in CT.

Reaction Score
It would also be used as precedent in Contract law. The LOI is the de facto acceptance of a bilateral offer, after which the offer cannot be rescinded (basically because the offer no longer exists. Offer + Acceptance = contract). This would open the door to the potential voidability of future contracts, outside the scope of the NCAA.

Says the 1L.

Reaction Score
this is a mess. From Katz:

His younger brother, Daniel, committed to play at UConn in the Class of 2014 but hasn't made any inquiries into getting out of his commitment. His older brother, Gary, played at Miami. The elder Hamilton said Isaac would be the only one of the four sons who would be playing in Los Angeles.

Isaac said he had never been able to give his grandmother anything and wants her to see him play. Yes, USC is 1.8 miles from our house. It would be the ideal school.
"But we haven't talked to USC and don't have a formal offer from any other university. We haven't discussed this with anybody. Yes, he could go to Long Beach State, Loyola, Northridge, Fullerton, any school around here, but preferably USC or UCLA."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...coach-tim-floyd-denies-release-isaac-hamilton

Reaction Score
Dinos Trigonis@trigonis30
3m
Father of Daniel Hamilton tonite clarified that his son Daniel is and will continue to be committed to UConn despite rumors to the contrary
Interesting comment from a recruiting analyst on the internet. It's a paid site so I don't want to say where it came from.

Heard from two good sources that Enfield has also been actively recruiting Daniel Hamilton even after his verbal committment to UConn. Enfield wants to get both Hamilton brothers to commit to USC. Daniel doesn't seem to be wavering in his committment to UConn.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment from a recruiting analyst on the internet. It's a paid site so I don't want to say where it came from.

Heard from two good sources that Enfield has also been actively recruiting Daniel Hamilton even after his verbal committment to UConn. Enfield wants to get both Hamilton brothers to commit to USC. Daniel doesn't seem to be wavering in his committment to UConn.

I saw that too. Enfield is trying to come off innocent in this one, but looks like Tim Floyd has a point.

Reaction Score

After reading this the whole Grandma thing is coming off bogus as hell now.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't blame Enfield for still recruiting Daniel, that's the game. Until the LOI is signed any recruit is fair game. It would suck from a fans perspective if Daniel didnt come to UCONN, but that's recruiting (see Harkless, Maurice). Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Ollie has been at so many of Daniels games even after the verbal.

However, if Enfield was still recruiting Isaac, after Isaac signed, than Enfield should be punished.

I have heard the grandmother being quite sick is real, and they are close, but I don't know the family myself, just from a (friend and) high school coach out there who knows them.

Complete speculation: I could see Daniel doing the same thing next year if she is still sick, I would understand it too.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think the grandmother is so selfish that instead of wishing what is best for her grandkids she wants them to sacrifice what is best for them so she can see them play a basketball game live instead of on TV? 100% of grandmothers I have spoken with ALWAYS want their grandkids to do what is best for the grandson or granddaughter.

caw

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think the grandmother is so selfish that instead of wishing what is best for her grandkids she wants them to sacrifice what is best for them so she can see them play a basketball game live instead of on TV? 100% of grandmothers I have spoken with ALWAYS want their grandkids to do what is best for the grandson or granddaughter.

Ummm maybe he wants to be near her. If she just got sick and it's serious, I can see not wanting to move away. Besides its UTEP, not sure USC is any sort of step down (not the best). UCONN to USC is though.

Reaction Score

I don't think any UTEP games will be available on TV to anyone in LA.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Enfield for still recruiting Daniel, that's the game. Until the LOI is signed any recruit is fair game.

Yes, a verbal commitment is non-binding. But supposedly it's an unwritten rule that coaches stop recruiting verbally committed players. A player that's reopened his recruitment is fair game, but other coaches are not supposed to actively influence that decision.

Reaction Score
I don't think any UTEP games will be available on TV to anyone in LA.

record the games and send them to her so she can watch them later that day or the next day. Done.

Reaction Score
record the games and send them to her so she can watch them later that day or the next day. Done.

Haha, or you can do the same, and just play it off as live games.

Reaction Score
Its a no-win situation for TF and UTEP. He spent a lot of time recruiting him, recruited other players around after and cannot pull in another player of that caliber easily or at all. Denying the LOI belittles him and UTEP in the national spotlight, will not prevent Isaac from leaving and may steamroll into bigger, legal issues for UTEP all while possibly scaring other recruits away. Let him go without incidence and make sure everyone knows you plan to replace him with a better recruit that wants to play there. Then punch him in the &^$##&$! mouth when you play him.

Reaction Score
I don't blame Enfield for still recruiting Daniel, that's the game. Until the LOI is signed any recruit is fair game. It would suck from a fans perspective if Daniel didnt come to UCONN, but that's recruiting (see Harkless, Maurice). Wouldn't be shocked if that is why Ollie has been at so many of Daniels games even after the verbal.

However, if Enfield was still recruiting Isaac, after Isaac signed, than Enfield should be punished.

I have heard the grandmother being quite sick is real, and they are close, but I don't know the family myself, just from a (friend and) high school coach out there who knows them.

Complete speculation: I could see Daniel doing the same thing next year if she is still sick, I would understand it too.

You don't have a problem with that? I'd say it's borderline harrasment to continue to contact a kid after he has committed elsewhere. I don't deny the fact coaches do it, but that doesn't make it right and I can't imagine guys like K, Izzo, Ollie, or hell, even Calipari, doing it.

Reaction Score
You don't have a problem with that? I'd say it's borderline harrasment to continue to contact a kid after he has committed elsewhere. I don't deny the fact coaches do it, but that doesn't make it right and I can't imagine guys like K, Izzo, Ollie, or hell, even Calipari, doing it.

Calamari stole previously committed Terrence Jones and Enes Kanter away from Washington.

Reaction Score
Calamari stole previously committed Terrence Jones and Enes Kanter away from Washington.

The Terrence Jones situation was a bit of a different animal. The kid told Calipari he would be signing with Kentucky and then cracked under the hometown pressure and committed to Washington.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

In total agreement with all of this.

Family has history with Floyd therefore doubt this was an about face to screw him. And I doubt sequence of events was Enfield instigating things and then family used the grandma excuse. This family is close knit, at least from the tape people presented interviewing the family. It is no surprise that Isaac would base his decision on her as opposed to Enfield. IMO Floyd went off the handle and that shocked the family. They thought they knew him better. They probably didn't think any negative things that were thrown at Floyd were true. But most likely Floyd was ticked at Enfield because Floyd did the tactics he's accusing Enfield of doing and is making the leap that all coaches do them.

DH has another year before he decides what to do. I'm hoping grandma makes a speedy recovery so he never has to do what Isaac is doing. I certainly don't want to see her go quickly in order that UConn increases its chances of getting a recruit.

Will fans be ticked if she deteriorates but still is alive next season and DH reneges on his LOI if it comes to that? You can be certain of it. It will have all the negative ramifications that are taking place at TEP. But people placing winning at the cost of family bonds are too jaded imo.

caw

Reaction Score

A lot depends how aggressively Enfield is going after him and how. If he's calling and saying how great USC is, etc. that's fine if Daniel is taking the calls. If its Enfield calling relatives to put pressure on him, that's something else. Again it happens a lot with the first scenario and I'm sure everyone you listed has called a recruit that has verballed to another school after they have verballed. Maybe not Ollie bc he is really new. UConn has lost at least two recruits to this in Harkless and the kid at DePaul.

Heck with transfers these days coaches are going after kids that not only have signed LOI, but are already on another campus. That's dirty.

LOI are where the gray area disappears and it's clear cut (or should be).

Reaction Score
Not to suggest that the Hamilton's are lying about grandma, but it's amazing how often players who transfer or ask out of LOIs do so because of a sick relative.
He needs to get a note from Epstein's mother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom