Isaac Hamilton asked out of LOI with UTEP | The Boneyard

Isaac Hamilton asked out of LOI with UTEP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Texas El Paso Coach Tim Floyd confirmed that Isaac Hamilton, a highly regarded shooting guard from Bellflower St. John Bosco High, had asked out of the letter of intent he signed with UTEP last fall and wants to enroll at USC.
Floyd said UTEP denied the request and Hamilton has appealed to the National Letter of Intent Steering Committee. According to Floyd, Hamilton told him he wanted to stay closer to home because of an ill grandmother. Hamilton could not be reached for comment.
"Isaac made his decision for all the right reasons," Floyd said of the player's decision to attend UTEP. "If this appeal is allowed, we might as well not have letters of intent." Enfield declined to comment.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-0721-ucla-usc-basketball-20130721,0,3401999.story

Reaction Score
I think Enfield will turn around USC, Kahlil Dukes and Isaac Hamilton would be a pretty exciting young backcourt.

Reaction Score
Love floyd.. kick a kid when his grandma is sick...

Reaction Score
I would be pissed too if I were Floyd. The kid signed a lettter of intent to attend UTEP. Decommitting right before school starts isn't right. The grandmother excuse gets abused far too often
Give me a freaking break, coaches quit on their players all the time and Tim Floyd has proven to be a snake over the years.

Reaction Score
No sympathy for Floyd. Hope their Grandma isn't sick.

I think Enfield is going to be great at USC. Tim Floyd and Kevin O'Neal probably have the worse style of basketball.

Reaction Score
I'd love to know how the NCAA determines who to grant a waiver to in these situations. If every kid who had a sick grandma was able to transfer/back out of an LOI, I get the feeling a lot more grandma's would be getting sick. It might be legitimate, it may not be. The NCAA pretending it has any idea of the extent of the illness/how large a role she's played in the kids life is a completely ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm off base, but if feels like somehow when a coach says "he signed for all the right reasons", it sends up a red flag that the coach is a sleaze. As in "right reasons" = "reasons that benefit me"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
you'd think playing with his bro could be a great selling point. hopefully he isn't set on usc

Reaction Score
If Isaac could play pg that would be cool. I don't think there's room for another 6'3 sg. he could be the either the starting pg or 1st player off the bench. makes sense to go to USC though

Reaction Score
you'd think playing with his bro could be a great selling point. hopefully he isn't set on usc
Any chance his sick grandma relocates to CT? I hear cold weather is great for old people!

Reaction Score
Not to suggest that the Hamilton's are lying about grandma, but it's amazing how often players who transfer or ask out of LOIs do so because of a sick relative.

Reaction Score
Not to suggest that the Hamilton's are lying about grandma, but it's amazing how often players who transfer or ask out of LOIs do so because of a sick relative.

True. From what I've read the NCAA is thinking of changing the rules about transferring & becoming eligible immediately because too many players are abusing this, when in fact, they really aren't doing transfer to help out the family, but seek out a new school in general . ESPN ran several stories on this recently. The NCAA is also thinking about changing the rule for Seniors who've already graduated & want to pursue a Masters at another school too.... making both scenarios instances where the players will need to sit out regardless. Coaches are pushing for these rule changes because too many players are abusing the situation.

I say:
If a player graduates, they should be able to transfer wherever they want & be eligible immediately. Why punish a kid for graduating?
If a player wants out of their LOI before they ever attend a particular Univeristy or College, they should be eligible immediately. It's not like they attended that school to begin with, so nothing lost. It's just sour grapes by a coach.
If a player wants to transfer to be near a sick relative, then they should sit out since the whole point is to be closer to help support the family.

Reaction Score
If a player wants out of their LOI before they ever attend a particular Univeristy or College, they should be eligible immediately. It's not like they attended that school to begin with, so nothing lost. It's just sour grapes by a coach.

That opens up a huge can of worms and would cause chaos in the college basketball world. I don't see how you could do that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That opens up a huge can of worms and would cause chaos in the college basketball world. I don't see how you could do that.

It would also be used as precedent in Contract law. The LOI is the de facto acceptance of a bilateral offer, after which the offer cannot be rescinded (basically because the offer no longer exists. Offer + Acceptance = contract). This would open the door to the potential voidability of future contracts, outside the scope of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
If I was a highly ranked recruit I would just sign a financial aid agreement, that gives you an out and a school won't give your scholarship away to somebody else, especially in the case of someone like Hamilton going to UTEP of all places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom