Is UCONN going to the B10? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UCONN going to the B10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're kidding, yes? Aside from in the OP's mind, where is this being thought about? There are features that might align with the B10, but there probably also are things that might align with, say, the Patriot League, too. So, and I mean this literally, you're making this up, right?

C

crownfox2

Expansion isn't about geography, academics or competition....it's all about TV Benjamins. If the Big10 initial strategy was to admit Rutgers to take the NY Metro market why not complete the circle and take Uconn?

Reaction Score
Because they don't need to, really. What circle, exactly, are they completing? They've got New York now. Why do they need to get it twice?

I'm one of those who believe that at the end of the day, Louisville to the ACC was about football, not academics. But in the case of UConn to the Big 10, the perception (not necessarily the reality) of lesser academics and certainly lesser football would play a role. If the Big 10 issued an invite, I'd say UConn should grab it. But I think the prospects are pretty unlikely.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Speaking of Rutgers and the B1G, a week after being voted in to the B1G, some Rutgers fans are calling for the football coach to be fired after tonight's loss to Louisville. Crazy week.

Reaction Score
John Calipari, who has nothing to gain by saying this, said four superconferences are the future. There'll be the SEC, the Pac-12, the B1G...and who else? Either the Big 12 or the ACC. The ACC is much easier to destroy than the Big 12, simply because they have more schools that are desirable to the SEC, the B1G and the Big 12. If the Big 12 expands by taking ACC schools, then it is very possible our future long term home would be the B1G.

Amazing how quickly people dismiss possibilities without even giving them thought. "No, not going to happen! Ever!" And don't even give concrete reasons how that is not possible. If we keep going at the pace we've been going at, we're destined to become an AAU school. We would also give the B1G access to more of NYC (Rutgers sucks in just about all sports) and access to New England.

Reaction Score
If the ACC is so easy to destroy the B1G and SEC will do it. Still doesn't get UConn anywhere in either of those leagues. They are going to take the best 4 available, meaning football money. UConn won't be one of the top 4 choices in that scenario. Assume Pac12 covers the west then it's all about Big 12 and the rest of the ACC. If the B12 remains un-raided they need 6 more teams. UConn just has to be one of the 6. Depends on what's left in the ACC after raids. If this 4 super-conferences scenario happens look for Texas and ND to be side by side. If ND has to join a conference it will include UT. They've been walking hand and hand through this past couple of years.

Reaction Score
I'm still scratching my head about the poster lauding all the big 10 big-time football schools, mostly deservedly so...but Iowa? Iowa sucks. As does Illinois and Purdue. And Indiana. And Minnesota. Some of them you'd be surprised to learn suck a lot more than uconn. These listed programs historically suck, and modern day suck. So to claim uconn wouldn't be competitive is ill-informed.

UConn will be AAU. It might take 2 years, 4 years, a decade. The big 10 has, like the pac 12, legacy aau programs that don't belong by the aau's criteria. It'll continue to cull the herd. But with respect to Syracuse, they'll never get back in. Neither are they a footprint state program for the BTN.

Keep dominating the world! I don't follow girl's basketball, but i saw on youtube the girl that punched another player. I hope you guys crush that team.

Reaction Score
Tell u what, I follow the women much more closely than I usually do this year. Pumped about the upside of this roster

Reaction Score
Newsflash: Maryland sucks and Rutgers is not great in football. The B1G is being driven by TV sets. We have TV sets.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, Butch, and while football is driving the bus all the other sports are important to carrying the programming forward year round. Positioned as it is UConn touches the NY market as stretches the reach to the fringes of Boston, including all of CT and sections of western MA. There are 4 to 5 times the sets than in the Syracuse market.

Reaction Score
I think your distance is off a bit I think it is just 300 miles give or take 10. It is a straight shot across I-80 to I-81 to I-84. All good interstate and living in central PA I just drove to Branford including going down CT 34 to New Haven in 5 hours and 15 minutes.
No, I think forty_four's distance estimate is pretty good. We've driven the 465 miles from Farmington Valley to Pittsburgh several times this year, a minimum of 8 hours with a couple of stops (though I admit that one doesn't travel to Pitt. entirely by interstate), and Storrs would be farther and longer, so forty_four's 365 miles/6 hours seems about right, and even conservative.

Reaction Score
Penn State University is over 6 hours and 367 miles from Storrs, CT. Parts of Conn might be 90 minutes to PA., but not university to university.

Interesting...out West we deal with much larger distances routinely... Rice to Texas Tech is over 8 hours and 573 miles, and they are both in the same state. Cal to UCLA is nominally five and a half hours and 385 miles, but can take much more if you hit traffic on either end.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, I think forty_four's distance estimate is pretty good. We've driven the 465 miles from Farmington Valley to Pittsburgh several times this year, a minimum of 8 hours with a couple of stops (though I admit that one doesn't travel to Pitt. entirely by interstate), and Storrs would be farther and longer, so forty_four's 365 miles/6 hours seems about right, and even conservative.

Well, three on line distance generators all list it at exactly 299-301 miles. And I know that it is 302 miles from my house 45 minutes south of State College in Juniata County to my parents home in Branford is 302 miles taking exit 11 off of I-84 on Rt 34 to New Haven. It looks like 44s was driving distance via mapquest. I was talking linear. BTW, mapquests distance is off from my house in PA To CT by over 10 miles.

http://www.mapcrow.info/cgi-bin/cities_distance_airpt2.cgi?city3=7428804,ZZ&city4=15977,S

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting...out West we deal with much larger distances routinely...SMU to Texas Tech is over 5 hours and 345 miles, and they are both in the same state.
Yea people out here (NE) don't quite understand the distance stuff. Everything is so close together. My HS team used to travel 116 miles for a basketball game.....and that was a team in our conference. :eek:

Around here, every team in my hometown teams conference in within about a 30 mile radius. I think in my HS our closest was 40+ miles away.

And another weird thing out here, the conferences are different for every sport???? And they can change from year to year. Bizarre. :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, three on line distance generators all list it at exactly 299-301 miles. And I know that it is 302 miles from my house 45 minutes south of State College in Juniata County to my parents home in Branford is 302 miles taking exit 11 off of I-84 on Rt 34 to New Haven.
My ex in-laws graduated from Juniata College. My ex-wife went there for a year too.

I'm not particularly fond of it. ;)

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Iowa sucks. As does Illinois and Purdue. And Indiana. And Minnesota. Some of them you'd be surprised to learn suck a lot more than uconn. These listed programs historically suck, and modern day suck. So to claim uconn wouldn't be competitive is ill-informed.
Come on Rumrunner....to say Indiana sucks is a disgrace.....to the teams in the MAC that beat them every year. Oh wait, whatever is worse than sucking - that is IU football. ;)

IOWA had a good run from 2002-2009 finishing in the the top 10 4 years. They have not found the same success recently.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Exactly, Butch, and while football is driving the bus all the other sports are important to carrying the programming forward year round. Positioned as it is UConn touches the NY market as stretches the reach to the fringes of Boston, including all of CT and sections of western MA. There are 4 to 5 times the sets than in the Syracuse market.

In this madness of conferences and super conferences, I agree Uconn is well positioned for markets. We already have the Big Ten Network on cable so the access is in place in some of Fairfield county. That's a lot of tv sets! If the B1G is going for a bigger market, we make sense to take. Certainly we would be competitive in many sports and certainly we are not worse that Maryland and Rutgers! And our academics are right up there.

I just don't see us getting an invite to the B1G. But I have a strange feeling that the old standards for conference membership are disappearing so who knows.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Nebraska was in the AAU when it was invited
to join the Big 10, but was subsequently voted out of the AAU (with
two of the NO votes coming from Big 10 presidents!)

So far as I know, Nebraska has always been contiguous with Iowa.

Please let me know if my recollection is faulty.
Unless there is a teeny tiny barely visible state in the Missouri River, the Morman Bridge connects Nebraska and Iowa just north of Omaha, NE and Council Bluffs, IA along with many other bridges across the river border.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
There are many signs that tell us that UCONN is the perfect school to join the B10. Is Sryacuse having 2nd thoughts about the ACC and looking at the B10 with UCONN.........

Reason, Football, Mens and Womens BB, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse M and W........ and more sports that are the heart of B 10 sports. Plus, UCONN will be a huge draw with the B10 TV Network in New England and NY markets.....

>>> Wow, you sure stirred things up! As far as I know there are no signs that the UConn Huskies are going to the S.E.C. but . . .

>>> Give me a minute . . .I'm working at it!

th

Reaction Score
I think your distance is off a bit I think it is just 300 miles give or take 10. It is a straight shot across I-80 to I-81 to I-84. All good interstate and living in central PA I just drove to Branford including going down CT 34 to New Haven in 5 hours and 15 minutes.

that's branford, which is along the shoreline, it is another hour to Storrs and add another 60 miles to your 300 or so and the distance mentioned is fairly accurate. If you think it is not, take it up with mapquest which is how I got the distance and time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
that's branford, which is along the shoreline, it is another hour to Storrs and add another 60 miles to your 300 or so and the distance mentioned is fairly accurate. If you think it is not, take it up with mapquest which is how I got the distance and time.
As I said your mileage was from mapquest whereas the mileage I cited was linear at 300 to Storrs from the site I linked to along with 2 other sites.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Current rumors out of State College are that Kansas and Georgia Tech will be headed to the B1G by January 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom