Is UConn at full strength Finally | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is UConn at full strength Finally

Reaction Score
Well if you are waiting for everyone to be at 100%, that's probably never going to happen. This year, or next, or any subsequent year.
And what tournament team anywhere in the country will admit, after a grueling season, that their entire roster is now at 100%?

Reaction Score
I would suggest that even with Paige at "100 per cent", Geno will continue to manage his team and the game plan as we saw during the last couple of games through the end of the season and the BE tournament. It works and with the depth of talent that is on board, it is a proven concept that works and provides victory with formidable results.

I personally like the idea of "platooning" the players giving everyone a rest and a chance to observe and function especially with the depth of talent. I would like to see this continue into the future next year and I would suggest that it would alleviate the frustration of young players who want to play.

Reaction Score
Listening to Geno Paige is ready and that imo makes UConn really really tuff to beat. I remember being told that a certain coach who was luring a big to her school said that UConn would be the Paige and Azzi show. Well here we are healthy and ready to go. I feel right now UConn is more then the Paige and Azzi show. Right now UConn is 9 deep.

What makes UConn so different then most teams in the tourney is that UConn has great guards and has depth. UConn has height and depth. UConn now has shown they have rebounding and great defense. One of the biggest differences is UConn does not have to be concerned as much as other teams do, about foul trouble. A player gets 2 fouls and you replace that player with another excellent player. UConns depth should take care of foul trouble. Geno has been playing 9 players and I dont think that will change much during the tournament. He can rest players. UConn has shown they are not dependent on one player to carry them although if they need to they should have at least 2 players. When and if a game gets tight UConn has the players to make plays .

We have players that thrive for the big moment. We have clutch players who can make plays and we have a really good unselfish passing team. We ended the season with confidence and we looked powerful. If you have any doubt listen to the winers saying UConn has an advantage playing the Regionals in CT. Remember a couple of weeks ago when people said UConn would be shipped out to another region like Spokane or Greensboro and no body complained. Well imo there were two reasons for that. 1 UConn was not heathy and 2 people werent afraid of UConn. Now both those things have changed.

The team we have been watching was Paigeless. Over the past few games Paige has seen some action. Geno says now she is ready to go. If thats the case Lookout here comes tomorrow. Correction we are not at full strength with Griff out.
Tony C you are a GEM. You got the NCAA to put UConn in the Bridgeport region, Thanks.
I'm concerned with Paige. . In the games I have seen recently she is holding back. When she doesn't hold back I worry about her landing on that reworked leg.
We cannot expect her to return and be the Paige of old because she isn't. She could be better, but not right away. Then there is the "Let US Watch Paige" Phenom. Her teammates, as in the finals last year her teammates weren't teammates, they were FAN's.
Without Paige, this was and is a very good team, Dorka, Evina, OnO, Caroline, Fudd, Nika, Edwards, and pretty decent (inexperienced) Freshmen on the bench. I won't ask the obvious question.
Thanks Tony C, again positive, positive. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I would suggest that even with Paige at "100 per cent", Geno will continue to manage his team and the game plan as we saw during the last couple of games through the end of the season and the BE tournament. It works and with the depth of talent that is on board, it is a proven concept that works and provides victory with formidable results.

I personally like the idea of "platooning" the players giving everyone a rest and a chance to observe and function especially with the depth of talent. I would like to see this continue into the future next year and I would suggest that it would alleviate the frustration of young players who want to play.
What Marine wouldn't like "Platooning", that's your best fighting combo. I like what Geno has done for the past 2 or 3 months, mixing and matching, resting and pushing, it has worked wonderfully.nI would suggest, and I'm a proponent of PT develops players, that if the Bench was ready for Prime Time--Geno would be using them morel That is Uconn's weak spot. Prone to more fouls, more pushing shoving, rebounding, energy expended with only 2 big bigs and one forward (Edwards) (actually 3 forward 2 used as post). VERYOLDDOG, we agree only differently.

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that no other coach in WBB does a better job of preparing their team for the Big Dance during the 10 day hiatus between the conference tournament and the 1st round of the NCAA’s than Geno. It’s almost as if UConn WBB has another gear they hadn’t used all season until the Big Dance.

Don’t be surprised if the Huskies roll through the first 4 rounds of the tournament. If Stanford & SC are waiting in Minneapolis, who knows? But I wouldn’t bet against Geno with this roster.
I think you have noticed: NO ONE wants Uconn in their region. On their recent worst years, they are a FF team. That's a standard no one-else will hold, at least soon.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tonyc I agree with most of your sentiment. One thing that worries me about this UConn team is that it is very susceptible to being bullied or out matched physically. Being at full strength doesn't do much to alleviate my concern.
Actually I disagree with this (respectfully of course!! ;) ). UCONN does not have an "enforcer" like Stacy Hansmeyer, Kia Nurse, etc. or physical specimens like Charles, Stokes, etc. But they do have
  • Nika Muhl - There is no more intense player on the team, and no one I'd rather have at my back in a dark alley (never mind on the basketball court). She has an edge that the team feeds off.
  • Christyn Williams - Don't let the squeaky voice and sweet demeanor fool you. She's a strong physical guard who was our best defender at the end of last season.
  • Aaliyah Edwards - she gets called for phantom fouls just because she's so strong.
  • Dorka Juhaz - battles physically as hard in the post as anyone
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa - yes I listed her. I've seen her attack the basket while triple teamed. And while not built like Edwards, will battle in the post as hard as her body will let her.
Lastly, don't forget about Paige. No she's not an enforcer, but while Nika may have the edge in intensity and physicality, Paige has a will that is unmatched. IF she's 100% healthy and back to pre-injury Paige (and I suspect she's pretty close), she will set the tone with the force of her will.

Yes I worry about teams like UCF, who IMHO play with greater-than-necessary physicality when they are outmatched talent-wise, but do not discount the effort, intensity, and yes - physicality, of this team. Just my $.02...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tony C you are a GEM. You got the NCAA to put UConn in the Bridgeport region, Thanks.
Nothing against you - I disliked your post because neither Tony, nor any other fan, had ANYTHING to do with where UCONN was placed. Any more than the coaches or players manipulated the committee. We earned it, just like every other team out there, and the committee made their decision. Just like there is no fan who ever has anything to do with recruiting, getting recruits, informing the staff about them, etc.

There may be "fans" like M Cornelius (Tennessee) who fancy themselves as more than just fans - helping shape the team they root for, but unless they are doing something illegal and under handed, we are all just fans. Maybe there are boosters out there who are puffed up with their own sense of self-importance. That is all.

Now, if you were being silly, I apologize if I misunderstood! :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Don’t be surprised if the Huskies roll through the first 4 rounds of the tournament. If Stanford & SC are waiting in Minneapolis, who knows? But I wouldn’t bet against Geno with this roster.

I really believe that in my heart as well, Dude...so many good players.

But I don't think they've yet perfected the roll over these guys, smack-down routine...at least not yet.
Perhaps the first two games will be a dress-rehearsal for general smack-downs
It's altogether possible that they blast right through, just like in the Stewie years.

But I have to see it, to believe it.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As has been pointed out, not quite at full strength without Aubrey but the "Devine Nine" has evolved as a potent unit, overcoming illness and injury and inspiring confidence at just the right time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nothing against you - I disliked your post because neither Tony, nor any other fan, had ANYTHING to do with where UCONN was placed.

Now, if you were being silly, I apologize if I misunderstood! :D
How dare, how dare you. Saying Tony C didn't have anything to do with this. Tony C has connections that he has "made" over the years. He knows people (i.e. he knows a guy). It's "his thing". Why do you think Tony C posts with such "bravado" and "swagger"?

I do hope you were being silly.

And don't forget to take the cannoli.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As has been pointed out, not quite at full strength without Aubrey but the "Devine Nine" has evolved as a potent unit, overcoming illness and injury and inspiring confidence at just the right time.
Are the "devine nine" Andy's kids? :oops:

Reaction Score
Tonyc I agree with most of your sentiment. One thing that worries me about this UConn team is that it is very susceptible to being bullied or out matched physically. Being at full strength doesn't do much to alleviate my concern.
In my opinion if we go against a physical post presence we need Dorka in the game. Against Depaul and their freshman Morrow Liv got pushed around a little bit and Aaliyah got pushed around even more. Dorka appears to be stronger down low with a stronger base and would be less likely to be bullied. I do think that this Connecticut team is better prepared to play against a physical chippy team. It appears that the adversity they faced this year has made them mentally tougher and more aggressive than teams in the recent past. I just hope that the freshman we have been depending on so much don’t get lost in the moment.

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that no other coach in WBB does a better job of preparing their team for the Big Dance during the 10 day hiatus between the conference tournament and the 1st round of the NCAA’s than Geno. It’s almost as if UConn WBB has another gear they hadn’t used all season until the Big Dance.

Overconfidence got them beat last year by Arizona I would slow our role and take each team seriously so last year it doesn’t happen again. And Geno can only prepare them so much the girls even admitted last year that they were overconfident and didn’t take Arizona as seriously as they should have. Women’s college basketball has become so much more competitive with a greater talent pool spread out across the country I mean who heard of Ari McDonald before last year I bet not a lot of of us.

Reaction Score
In my opinion if we go against a physical post presence we need Dorka in the game. Against Depaul and their freshman Morrow Liv got pushed around a little bit and Aaliyah got pushed around even more. Dorka appears to be stronger down low with a stronger base and would be less likely to be bullied. I do think that this Connecticut team is better prepared to play against a physical chippy team. It appears that the adversity they faced this year has made them mentally tougher and more aggressive than teams in the recent past. I just hope that the freshman we have been depending on so much don’t get lost in the moment.
If you will closely observe, Morrow continually “hip checks” under the boards.
Pretty sure this is a foul, but she will continue to do it until the Refs call it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom