Is UConn at full strength Finally | The Boneyard

Is UConn at full strength Finally

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Listening to Geno Paige is ready and that imo makes UConn really really tuff to beat. I remember being told that a certain coach who was luring a big to her school said that UConn would be the Paige and Azzi show. Well here we are healthy and ready to go. I feel right now UConn is more then the Paige and Azzi show. Right now UConn is 9 deep.

What makes UConn so different then most teams in the tourney is that UConn has great guards and has depth. UConn has height and depth. UConn now has shown they have rebounding and great defense. One of the biggest differences is UConn does not have to be concerned as much as other teams do, about foul trouble. A player gets 2 fouls and you replace that player with another excellent player. UConns depth should take care of foul trouble. Geno has been playing 9 players and I dont think that will change much during the tournament. He can rest players. UConn has shown they are not dependent on one player to carry them although if they need to they should have at least 2 players. When and if a game gets tight UConn has the players to make plays .

We have players that thrive for the big moment. We have clutch players who can make plays and we have a really good unselfish passing team. We ended the season with confidence and we looked powerful. If you have any doubt listen to the winers saying UConn has an advantage playing the Regionals in CT. Remember a couple of weeks ago when people said UConn would be shipped out to another region like Spokane or Greensboro and no body complained. Well imo there were two reasons for that. 1 UConn was not heathy and 2 people werent afraid of UConn. Now both those things have changed.

The team we have been watching was Paigeless. Over the past few games Paige has seen some action. Geno says now she is ready to go. If thats the case Lookout here comes tomorrow. Correction we are not at full strength with Griff out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Full strength means everyone on the roster is available. That will not be the case for the rest of this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tony we aren’t at full strength because Paige, Azzi and Nika, at least aren’t 100% and Aubrey isn’t back, but we are probably the best version of ourselves that we have been all year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tony we aren’t at full strength because Paige, Azzi and Nika, at least aren’t 100% and Aubrey isn’t back, but we are probably the best version of ourselves that we have been all year.
Well if you are waiting for everyone to be at 100%, that's probably never going to happen. This year, or next, or any subsequent year.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well if you are waiting for everyone to be at 100%, that's probably never going to happen. This year, or next, or any subsequent year.
True, but the question Tony asked is “are we at full strength?” We aren’t.

CL82

Reaction Score
True, but we're about as full strength as we're gonna be. Or ever have been.
Sort of. I definitely think a healthier Paige helps us considerably and I think a few others are more dinged up then is typical. But I agree 100% that this time of year there are always little ailments.

Reaction Score
Full strength means everyone on the roster is available. That will not be the case for the rest of this season.
I appreciate this point. I appreciate this team and it's versatility. I was thinking what doesn't this team have? The one thing that is missing, is a tall defensive wing. I know CW is a very good defender, and CD has improved over the year. But looking at some of the impressive wings we may face up against, Grace Berger, Rhyne Howard, Haley Jones, Jakia Brown Turner, it really would be great to have Aubrey healthy.

Reaction Score
Shrugs. Fortunately participation in any given thread on The Boneyard is not compulsory.
I thought you would chime in here, but honestly, I figured it would be about the pizza...

:)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Great Job Tony as we all love the enthusiasm! And yes, just perusing the other WCBB forums, many teams are openly complaining about their team or another team having to face UConn in Bridgeport. When pressed by other forum posters, they note that UConn is now at full strength and looking good. One poster on VolNation even relunctantly felt we are destined for #12!

While in theory, the field is wide open as any of the top teams can get knocked off by a lesser team, to me, the list of candidates who can sustain a full 6 game slog which is the NCAAT are:
1. UConn
2. SC
3. Stanford

Next are:
4. Louisville (Post play is a worry)
5. Baylor (depth is an issue and crunch time coaching)
6. NC State (depth and the ability to make deep run)

Longer odd bets are:
7. Texas (sure the defense is there but where's the offense?)
8. Michigan (streaky team that has lots of good players at all the positions but post depth is a concern)

That is it. Honestly think only #1-3 and #6 could win it all.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Great Job Tony as we all love the enthusiasm! And yes, just perusing the other WCBB forums, many teams are openly complaining about their team or another team having to face UConn in Bridgeport. When pressed by other forum posters, they note that UConn is now at full strength and looking good. One poster on VolNation even relunctantly felt we are destined for #12!

While in theory, the field is wide open as any of the top teams can get knocked off by a lesser team, to me, the list of candidates who can sustain a full 6 game slog which is the NCAAT are:
1. UConn
2. SC
3. Stanford

Next are:
4. Louisville (Post play is a worry)
5. Baylor (depth is an issue and crunch time coaching)
6. NC State (depth and the ability to make deep run)

Longer odd bets are:
7. Texas (sure the defense is there but where's the offense?)
8. Michigan (streaky team that has lots of good players at all the positions but post depth is a concern)

That is it. Honestly think only #1-3 and #6 could win it all.
Last year, did anyone foresee Arizona coming within one basket of being National Champions? That's why they play the games.

Reaction Score
I think the question is addressing Paige's health especially. How recovered is she, I suppose time will tell. But that is what I really want to know. I'm satisfied with everyone else not named Aubrey being back to health enough, but it is Paige who if close to normal will really make us hard to beat.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have not seen any mention of Azzi or Nika not being healthy (outside of normal aches / pains from a long season?) Azzi continues to lead the team in minutes and Nika is as intense as ever. And if a player was feeling some form of injury, we would have had the depth to limit minutes but no evidence of that. I think the only one really limited is Paige and in her case much more the mental / emotional side and this clearly should be smaller as we go deeper.

If we lose, it's because we were outplayed.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If Aubrey was back would Geno go 10 deep?

CL82

Reaction Score
I have not seen any mention of Azzi or Nika not being healthy (outside of normal aches / pains from a long season?) Azzi continues to lead the team in minutes and Nika is as intense as ever. And if a player was feeling some form of injury, we would have had the depth to limit minutes but no evidence of that. I think the only one really limited is Paige and in her case much more the mental / emotional side and this clearly should be smaller as we go deeper.

If we lose, it's because we were outplayed.
I’ve read commentary about Azzi continuing to wear a boot and commentary that Nika isn’t yet back to 100%. But here’s the thing in the end this is the team we are and every other team has their limitations too. That’s just how things are this time of year. So, don’t look at this as a potential excuse if we for any reason underperform. But we’re clearly not back to “full strength” arms doesn’t even have all out our personnel back yet.

CL82

Reaction Score
If Aubrey was back would Geno go 10 deep?
That’s a great question. May be a better one is having the ability to go 10 deep does that allow us to be more aggressive on defense?

Reaction Score
The most remarkable thing about this season is how adversity led to an amazing change. Thinking was that Paige would once again carry the team on her narrow shoulders, but her protracted absence produced strange results. Initially there was an embarrassing dip followed by a remarkable re-defining of the team. Players who were thought to be adjunct were forced to start. In doing so, they each found a role. Once the roles were found and repeated consistently, something new was born. They discovered cohesion and became a unique entity of destruction. Disparate players found and assumed their "natural" places, and a team once depending so much on one player to distinguish them gained an independent identity. Now, we know we can play with or without Paige and be successful. With her we should be invincible.
Turn the dogs loose.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this. There are some fans posting what team has what good players and teams to watch out for. My question is name me one team that has what UConn has and UConn has it in abundance. Its silly how many really good players we have compared to every other team. Right now we are that good. I know I got under a couple of peoples skin when I mentioned (a few weeks ago) that UConn could beat any team by 15+ and I apologize to those I may have angered. Look at UConn now. We are silly good

Reaction Score
1647377927428.png
This same coach once achieved 100+ not too long ago. Love to have him win just 6 in a row starting on Saturday.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that no other coach in WBB does a better job of preparing their team for the Big Dance during the 10 day hiatus between the conference tournament and the 1st round of the NCAA’s than Geno. It’s almost as if UConn WBB has another gear they hadn’t used all season until the Big Dance.

Don’t be surprised if the Huskies roll through the first 4 rounds of the tournament. If Stanford & SC are waiting in Minneapolis, who knows? But I wouldn’t bet against Geno with this roster.

Reaction Score
Tonyc I agree with most of your sentiment. One thing that worries me about this UConn team is that it is very susceptible to being bullied or out matched physically. Being at full strength doesn't do much to alleviate my concern.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While this is "old hat" to Geno and CD, this is all new to this group of players and I really hope that if they do win the regional, he encourages them to cut down the nets as they will have earned it and deserve that memory as 1 step along the way to #12! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom