Is "Too Laid Back" Curable? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is "Too Laid Back" Curable?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This was discussed somewhat in other threads, but of course it's worth mentioning again...

One thing most of us fans did not know is that when a kid redshirts, even tho she "practices" with the team, she gets very little time on the court with the "starters", nor does she get a lot of focus from the coaches since she is going to contribute zero during her redshirt season. This does not mean the player does not participate, but the coaches only have so much time every day to devote to the 10-12 players who will be in games all season, so they don't have as much time to devote to developing the kid who's not going to contribute...

This does not mean the player is ignored, but in Z's case, I'm not sure the coaches realized she was so tentative in the post till this season started... I think we all thought when a kid reshirts it's a free year and they get to develop at the same pace as kids who are NOT redshirting. But it appears that's not the case...

I hear it, I process it, I understand the words ... but I'll never understand the it of it.

Reaction Score
Has Z improved? I compared her sophomore year at Duke to her Year at UCONN on a per minute basis, because she sees much less game time.
The results: points per min .60 at Duke .66 at UCONN
rebs per min .31 .34
blks per min .06 .08
Her fg% was 52% at Duke and is now 60%, free throws up from 75% to 80.8%, a/to ratio from 0.61 to 1.86. I'd say she's done a marvelous job!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Has Z improved? I compared her sophomore year at Duke to her Year at UCONN on a per minute basis, because she sees much less game time.
The results: points per min .60 at Duke .66 at UCONN
rebs per min .31 .34
blks per min .06 .08
Her fg% was 52% at Duke and is now 60%, free throws up from 75% to 80.8%, a/to ratio from 0.61 to 1.86. I'd say she's done a marvelous job!
What about her personal fouls per minute? She has had a few games that ended up with her having committed 3 or 4, in limited minutes. Heck, recently she had 3 in less than her first 3 minutes on the court.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
This was discussed somewhat in other threads, but of course it's worth mentioning again...

One thing most of us fans did not know is that when a kid redshirts, even tho she "practices" with the team, she gets very little time on the court with the "starters", nor does she get a lot of focus from the coaches since she is going to contribute zero during her redshirt season. This does not mean the player does not participate, but the coaches only have so much time every day to devote to the 10-12 players who will be in games all season, so they don't have as much time to devote to developing the kid who's not going to contribute...

This does not mean the player is ignored, but in Z's case, I'm not sure the coaches realized she was so tentative in the post till this season started... I think we all thought when a kid reshirts it's a free year and they get to develop at the same pace as kids who are NOT redshirting. But it appears that's not the case...

This is a good point and I'm glad you brought it up. I've never been to a UConn practice so perhaps I'm naive, but I would have thought that the coaching staff would have the same approach (in terms of their demands for hard work and pursing excellence) to redshirt players as anyone else. If you're right and they never worked that hard with Z in as close a simulation to real games as practices can produce, then perhaps her tentativeness is something new the coaching staff is having to pay attention to

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As usual, lots of good posts that make sense. We all agree that Z is not there yet. No one on the team is "there yet." Some are closer than others and some --like Lou - have come a long way. All I know is that Geno will be banging the drum all say and every day until the season is over. Geno and CD will be reminding, teaching, cajoling, and pushing Z to do more. I did so more aggressiveness last game. I know it was Temple, but you have to start somewhere. IMHO Z will continue to improve (like the rest of the team) and will be a major factor in the big games.
As an aside, I watched UCLA and Oregon last night and they have improved immensely. Along with Miss St., Baylor, Louisville, maybe a super hot ND, those two teams are dangerous. Throw in Texas too.
IMO no one has a full, complete team like UConn. Some teams are up to 4 really good starters. No one has 5 starters and a top 6th man like UConn. But that is just my humble opinion.
Humble or not, you seem to make sense. Although, as @wallman pointed out, UCLA lacks the shooting. They've got most of the rest.

Reaction Score
It's funny but the way some have described the hope that Z settles into the paint to grab all those rebounds: doesn't that sound a bit like Pat's and now Holly's offensive prescription for Tennessee? Throw it up and expect the big comes down with the rebound and puts it in the net.

One thing concerns me a bit regarding Z's place in the UConn constellation. She's at the far end of her first year playing, and her second year being with the team. It's disappointing that she still feels that she's trying to find her place. I can more understand that from a freshman and even a sophomore, but she's been playing varsity ball for a long time.

It has been my experiences that: Basketball is taught in practices and developed in REAL games. I do believe that Uconn's best have evolved to greatness in games. All of her watching the Core 4 plus practicing apparently didn't rub off. Geno in recent weeks has said something along the lines that Azura did not practice during her year of sitting out, as I and some expected.
So it seems this only her first year of actually practicing and playing with this team--darn near a GENO Freshman.

Reaction Score
Phee is so good at posting up because she uses her lower body(and its a strong one) to establish position while using her hands to feel her defender....Z is not as strong as Phee and clearly doesn't have the best post up technique....yet. But kudos to Z for becoming increasingly aggressive on both offensive and defensive end. She has totally remade her game this year and it takes time to learn how to play a true post if you've never done it. For all of you who are disappointed in her progress go back and look at her in the beginning of the year. Were it not for Lou and Phee , she could ( and still might) be NPOY next year and clearly a top 5 wnba pick.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Phee is so good at posting up because she uses her lower body(and its a strong one) to establish position while using her hands to feel her defender....Z is not as strong as Phee and clearly doesn't have the best post up technique....yet. But kudos to Z for becoming increasingly aggressive on both offensive and defensive end. She has totally remade her game this year and it takes time to learn how to play a true post if you've never done it. For all of you who are disappointed in her progress go back and look at her in the beginning of the year. Were it not for Lou and Phee , she could ( and still might) be NPOY next year and clearly a top 5 wnba pick.
Sorry, Lou will be next year's NPOY, hopefully for her second time. :D

Reaction Score
wow...............................I read your question a few hours ago.........................................uhhhhhhhhhhh................................I don't think so but if you don't mind, I'm going to relax and think about it some more....................

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Humble or not, you seem to make sense. Although, as @wallman pointed out, UCLA lacks the shooting. They've got most of the rest.

Had my head in my beer for a few days. Such a tough loss when it should have been a win in regulation. The frustrations of our team never seem to end. What is perplexing is why were we trying to play OR at their slow zone game when we have the athletes to go by them and we waited too long to pressure them, which is when they are the most vulnerable. And yes Gus we lack the outside shooting but got as lucky as OR did and hit some and still missed a 1 foot wide open lay up to win the game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Had my head in my beer for a few days. Such a tough loss when it should have been a win in regulation. The frustrations of our team never seem to end. What is perplexing is why were we trying to play OR at their slow zone game when we have the athletes to go by them and we waited too long to pressure them, which is when they are the most vulnerable. And yes Gus we lack the outside shooting but got as lucky as OR did and hit some and still missed a 1 foot wide open lay up to win the game.
I can tell it's been frustrating. Must be hard for Coach Close.

Reaction Score
A couple of observations

1) In my view, she is more than willing to mix it up inside but sometimes is caught off balance / out of position of the defensive side
2) Motion offense / high low action and giving Pheesa room to operate means she has to spend time on the outside
3) She is very emotional on court so I think laid back is the wrong term

It is confidence confidence confidence. Head bangHead bangHead bang

I do agree that you can't completely "teach" it. She reminds me of Kiah Stokes as a mirror image. (Just flip offense with defense)
If Z could rebound and play defense like Kiah, she’d move Diana out of #1.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
There is knowledge and experiential knowledge. i.e., I can explain to you all about a roller coaster, angels of ascent acceleration factors moments of inertia etc., but until you climb on that sucker and ride you really don't KNOW about a roller coaster.

Z knows what to do, but has not yet experienced the knowledge. Sometimes just one game or practice and it clicks. All the coaching becomes real and training becomes application and an AA comes alive.

She'll get there. I hope sooner than later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom