Is This A Geno Message | The Boneyard

Is This A Geno Message

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And if so who is it for?

How exactly Fudd fits into the rotation is yet to be determined, but Auriemma says she’s not one to impose herself out on the court, at least yet.

“We haven’t seen a lot of what Azzi can do, we’ve only seen a little bit, and I think it’ll be a little bit at a time,” he said. “There won’t be this Maya [Moore] or Stewie [Breanna Stewart] November where she’s getting 30 on some nights.”

I have a theory or two, but I forgot to put on my aluminum foil hat today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige was destined to start as a freshman at UConn before she even graduated from HS, because Geno absolutely needed her to start last year. With Azzi, Geno has the luxury to bring her along at her own pace. I believe Azzi will very likely start this year. But it probably won’t happen until she has a few games under her belt and maybe a few freshman ups and downs.

Reaction Score
It's a message alright. A message to us that we shouldn't expect her to start so stop talking about it and a message to her that if she wants to start then she needs to start showing what she's got.....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe at some point last season, Geno, while in front of a camera, said (paraphrasing) that he didn't think that Paige would automatically be a starter when she arrived on campus. He was basically shocked when she learned the UConn way so quickly. He had no choice but to start her from game 1 after seeing her compete.
Now, back to Azzi.

Reaction Score
You can take it two ways. Either that Geno doesn’t think she’s doing enough to be that “it factor of a scorer” due to what he’s seen, or that she’s just not playing in a way that racks up points. He’s underwhelmed or just doesn’t want people to think she’s just gonna go out there and shoot every time she touches the ball. I think it’s the latter

Reaction Score
It's a message alright. A message to us that we shouldn't expect her to start so stop talking about it and a message to her that if she wants to start then she needs to start showing what she's got.....
I think both of these points could be true. More than a few of us thought Azzi was pretty passive in the U19 tournament. We liked her passing, defense, and all around play, but expected her to be more aggressive looking for her own offense. She was nursing an injury at that time but now is supposedly healthy. Geno makes it sound like she is just trying to be an efficient role player, hardly what people were expecting from a player described as a "generational" talent. It is early but I suspect it probably was a message.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's what Geno said at all. There was no discussion about starting other than a little about experience being a fine thing and that those with experience have a slight edge. He did point out that there will most likely be 8 or 9 players in the front core group, but that's normal.

He made a point that Azzi is exactly like Paige in her freshman year in that she hasn't come out and imposed herself on the team. Paige just came into UConn and played like Paige without trying to make a statement or showboat. She didn't need to, her talent spoke for itself. Geno made it clear that an attitude like that is very attractive, and that being laid back and reserved is a good thing. It worked for Paige, and it will work for Azzi as well.

Azzi is actually showing what she's got, and Geno has noticed. As far as a message to those of us on the BoneYard, well, that's for each of us to take in our own way.

Reaction Score
I believe at some point last season, Geno, while in front of a camera, said (paraphrasing) that he didn't think that Paige would automatically be a starter when she arrived on campus. He was basically shocked when she learned the UConn way so quickly. He had no choice but to start her from game 1 after seeing her compete.
Now, back to Azzi.
Here's the interview with Geno talking about Paige and what he was thinking when she first came to school. Cued up to start at the relevant part.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
;Every piece of evidence from all sources has been consistent on this issue

1) Geno has had experience with generational talents and even among that group, they may enter as freshman differently and feel pressure differently
2) By all accounts, Paige has the same mentality as Maya. Absolute unwavering confidence from day 1. Even Azzi says she does not understand Paige. She does not feel nerves.
3) Azzi appears to come in like a normal human, Very talented but with normal feelings of nerves, self doubts and a mindset of wanting to just fit in, get a feeling of her new surroundings and improve at her own natural pace.
4) Geno has not crafted a special message to Azzi. He has the same uniform message to all. Best players play but the important part in regarding freshman is that he is fine dealing with players at their own level. He is not unreasonably pushing anyone not yet there and is ready to feed Azzi at her own speed.

Reaction Score
for whatever reason ppl get offended or it's the end of the world if one of their fave players is not on the starting lineup on opening night. Idc if the lineup on opening night is Gabriel, Mir, Muhl, Saylor, Deberry, what matters is the lineup that is starting in the final 4.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
With so much talent at his disposal, I really don't care who starts as long as Geno gets the rotation and chemistry correct. Anyone who proves that they can contribute this year will get minutes, and we all know just because a player will start doesn't necessarily mean a couple of players on the bench will not get equal minutes. The best players will play no matter if they start or not. Geno will decide as the game progresses who gets the PT, and as we know he has a knack for mixing it up and getting the right people to the floor. I would like to see the same starting line up that ended last season, and then enjoying how the players on the bench are moved in and out to create situations that will entertain us while preparing for the third part of the season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno knows what he is doing. Whether Azzi starts or not is not the question or the end game.

These practices will determine the players who start and the sub order. As usual, the players will earn their minutes. In addition, as practices evolve, and game situations start in November, the chemistry needed and desired will show itself. This is the nature of team sports.

October is here! Bring on November.

Reaction Score
What adds to my anticipation this year is the fact that more than (generally) six or seven players will be seeing significant playing time.
I’m thinking we may see a different style of play than we are accustomed to.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The way I read it is that it is back to 2002 when the team was deep with returning players and there was no need for the freshman phenom to be a big scorer. Geno has all his team from the final four a year better and seasoned in what it takes to dominate. IMO, the newcomer to have the biggest impact early will be Dorka and also having more of an impact will be Aaliyah and Aubrey.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t overthink Geno’s comments. It was the first day of practice. He responded to a question about Azzi with a general answer. Geno is not the Dalai Lama, and every word he utters does not have some deep significance.

Reaction Score
Don’t overthink Geno’s comments. It was the first day of practice. He responded to a question about Azzi with a general answer. Geno is not the Dalai Lama, and every word he utters does not have some deep significance.
Yes, it was just an observation, but would be something to keep in mind as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Geno's response to questions reflect only his thoughts at that particular moment. Not necessarily some great, comprehensive philosophical theory.
Sticking a microphone in his face after one practice session, and asking him to prognosticate about some pretty involved decisions that will have to be made over the next several months might tempt him to "have us all on" a bit.

Reaction Score
In my view, it's pretty simple. Last year he NEEDED Paige to start. This year he does not need Azzi to start.

Reaction Score
1633967136038.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom