Is There Any Question | The Boneyard

Is There Any Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About who should get the lion's share of minutes at the 5?

Wolf: 6 points, 7 boards (3 off.) in 17 minutes
Olander: 3 points, 3 boards (1 off.) in 26 minutes

Not to mention that Wolf offers a physical presence in the paint and the ability to defend legitimate Big East post players. Olander gets pushed around way too easily.

I don't care if you give Olander the ceremonial starts he got in 2011 and 2012, but Wolf needs to be out there at least 25 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the shi**y calls Wolf received form the stripes.....way too ticky tacky with those hacks Gardener and Otule throwing him around all night!! Wolf is playing good basketball and if he stays out of foul trouble somehow he needs to drift into the 22-25 minute range!

Reaction Score
Wolf would've played more if not for the foul trouble. He was there in the crunch time.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Reaction Score
I used to be an Olander defender, but he has clearly regressed. Also, he can't even force a guard into a tough layup off screen and roll as he was touched up at least three different times for layups tonight.

Reaction Score
Wolf is foul prone. But I completely agree that he's the better player. There is probably some reasoning behind bringing him off the bench instead of starting him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was really impressed with Wolf. He neutralized the interior scoring and rebounding. He and NG were quite effective playing together on the defensive end. If only he could have made that dunk and easy lay up........

Reaction Score
Yea it's not even a question, Wolf just has to stay out of foul trouble and I think you will see him get the minutes. Not even just the numbers but it seemed like TO was late on help D every single time Cadougan drove down the lane, that wasn't happening when Wolf was in there.

Reaction Score
The surprise of the season so far is that Wolf has got game. I was afraid he was another Justin Brown / Charles Okwandu type of player but he is looking more and more like a Jake Voskhul / Rod Sellers, he's not at their level yet but it looks like he can get there.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have been screaming about this for to long now. wolf is quietly developing into a more than serviceable center. now its time to get olander back to his old role. when wolf is in foul trouble play nolan at the 5 with olander at the 4 or just olander at the 4. wolf is clealry making steps each game. time to play wolf and to together at the 4/5 and boat/bazz/dd at the 123 for the start of a game and see whats up. thats a good zone d that could change our season if it meshes well. flip in omar for a guard or evans based on needs and gif and dd can swap. go for it ko!

Reaction Score
i have been screaming about this for to long now. wolf is quietly developing into a more than serviceable center. now its time to get olander back to his old role. when wolf is in foul trouble play nolan at the 5 with olander at the 4 or just olander at the 4. wolf is clealry making steps each game. time to play wolf and to together at the 4/5 and boat/bazz/dd at the 123 for the start of a game and see whats up. thats a good zone d that could change our season if it meshes well. flip in omar for a guard or evans based on needs and gif and dd can swap. go for it ko!

Take a look at what Marquette was playing at the 4 spot and think if Tyler can defend those quick perimeter guys, and that is what we're going to be seeing the majority of the season. DD or Niels at the 4>>>>Tyler at the 4.

Reaction Score

Hate to say it as I stuck up for Tyler but he kills them when he's in the game.....can't guard anyone, doesn't move his feet and doesn't rebound. His help defense has been....uh, helpless.......his minutes were of little impact tonight and if we had EW for 25 we win!!! As far as PF, please? He can't guard these kids.........more Nolan for now please and a lot more Wolf!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Take a look at what Marquette was playing at the 4 spot and think if Tyler can defend those quick perimeter guys, and that is what we're going to be seeing the majority of the season. DD or Niels at the 4>>>>Tyler at the 4.

marq has always played nova style somewhat. lets see what u think when we play cincy, lville, cuse, pitt and crew. if we were willing to show some zone vs marq, then we should be willing to play zone with the lineup i said. just my 2 cents. hell put nolan at the 4 instead of olander.

it seems like this board has the jc itch still. what i mean by that is this-jc every year had 1 whipping boy. always had to keep up his image as brutal ruthless etc to keep the kids 100% focused. gavin 1 year come to mind of recent memory. ko has a different style and with no dpeth this year its hard to have that kind of player. its usually a fringe player that we expect more from that always gets that role. this year if jc was coach and we had our 2 transfers back lets say(dont go there with ao and scoe this isnt the point) then i can see making olander the whipping boy. but right now we can't afford that. i think most on this baord are looking for hat role still. its simpl not there. were playing a kid who was over matched but good isn spots at the 4 his firrst 2 years at uconn all of a sudden at the 5 for big minutes becuase of our depth issue. ppl need to drop the tough guy act with him. thats not his positin nor where he can ever suceed. hes a face 4 with pick and pop game. hes not ok4.the sooner ppl here drop it and realize that olander doing whats best for the team the better we will be as fans. the kid can not handle the big east center spot buts hes putting the effort in, all u can ask. i am in love with wolfs development and i think ppl here need to get on the wagon. he may never turn into a great player but hes more that service already. play olander at the 4 and let the kid find his game again. his pick and pop game would open up lanes for boat and bazz and also open up dd and omar in corners.

also, do u guys remember how olander got here? the fact thats hes even on our roster should make u all shut up. he helped us at a desperate time and any minutes just as a body in year 1 was huge and will be again this year. stop hating the kid and root for him to improve. jesus. it amazes me u guys want to rip him apart meanwhile we had ass kids turn backs on the program and leave. u guys if u think otherwise, im 10 toes in and i'll take olander every minute over kids who dont want to be here. we have what we have, now lets go play some basketball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
marq has always played nova style somewhat. lets see what u think when we play cincy, lville, cuse, pitt and crew. if we were willing to show some zone vs marq, then we should be willing to play zone with the lineup i said. just my 2 cents. hell put nolan at the 4 instead of olander.

it seems like this board has the jc itch still. what i mean by that is this-jc every year had 1 whipping boy. always had to keep up his image as brutal ruthless etc to keep the kids 100% focused. gavin 1 year come to mind of recent memory. ko has a different style and with no dpeth this year its hard to have that kind of player. its usually a fringe player that we expect more from that always gets that role. this year if jc was coach and we had our 2 transfers back lets say(dont go there with ao and scoe this isnt the point) then i can see making olander the whipping boy. but right now we can't afford that. i think most on this baord are looking for hat role still. its simpl not there. were playing a kid who was over matched but good isn spots at the 4 his firrst 2 years at uconn all of a sudden at the 5 for big minutes becuase of our depth issue. ppl need to drop the tough guy act with him. thats not his positin nor where he can ever suceed. hes a face 4 with pick and pop game. hes not ok4.the sooner ppl here drop it and realize that olander doing whats best for the team the better we will be as fans. the kid can not handle the big east center spot buts hes putting the effort in, all u can ask. i am in love with wolfs development and i think ppl here need to get on the wagon. he may never turn into a great player but hes more that service already. play olander at the 4 and let the kid find his game again. his pick and pop game would open up lanes for boat and bazz and also open up dd and omar in corners.

also, do u guys remember how olander got here? the fact thats hes even on our roster should make u all shut up. he helped us at a desperate time and any minutes just as a body in year 1 was huge and will be again this year. stop hating the kid and root for him to improve. jesus. it amazes me u guys want to rip him apart meanwhile we had ass kids turn backs on the program and leave. **** u guys if u think otherwise, im 10 toes in and i'll take olander every ****ing minute over kids who dont want to be here. we have what we have, now lets go play some ****ing basketball.
I don't think people are dumping on TO by criticizing play. In the past he was a reserve four whose weaknesses were offset because he played alongside a decent five. Now he's asked to be THE FIVE and he lacks the skills to do this. Does my assessment imply I hate the kid. Absolutely not. He's running his butt off on the court. He doesn't complain. It's not his fault he's being asked to do something he probably shouldn't be doing. It's no ones fault. UConn needs him. None the less, there might be more potential with EW. The problem for Wolfe is that this is his first season playing college bb. So in essence he's a freshman and probably will have an up and down season. But that's fine by me, because if he develops he can be decent next year for UConn when more is on the line.

Reaction Score
TO is being asked to do more than he really can. I said in the game thread that he's like Austrie/Garrison in '06. Overmatched and trying, but given a tough role.

I will say this for him - I watched more closely in the second half and he really was battling on the defensive glass. We got a few rebounds from Giffey/Bazz that were partly due to him occupying their bigs. He was playing sort of like the nose tackle that let's the linebackers fly in for tackles.

However, he is no longer an offensive threat due to his confidence problems, and he wasn't very good on defensive rotations either. So we are probably better off with Wolf and trying to have TO try to find a role as a spark off the bench who can contribute a couple hustle plays or unexpected buckets.

Reaction Score

also, do u guys remember how olander got here? the fact thats hes even on our roster should make u all shut up. he helped us at a desperate time and any minutes just as a body in year 1 was huge and will be again this year. stop hating the kid and root for him to improve. jesus. it amazes me u guys want to rip him apart meanwhile we had ass kids turn backs on the program and leave. **** u guys if u think otherwise, im 10 toes in and i'll take olander every ****ing minute over kids who dont want to be here. we have what we have, now lets go play some ****ing basketball.

I can shut up or tell it like I see it........I have given Tyler plenty of kudo's and praise even but for the last 6-7 games his impact is gone, nowhere to be found and that's obvious. If you can't help out the team you lose your minutes, no different than Ao last year. I love where the kid came from, worked hard to get here. But the improvement is now negated by a huge loss of confidence and not playing to his strengths. He continues to try to block shots, which he sucks at, instead of moving his feet and putting his hands straight up and then boxing out. He is not good on offense as the shot he made at a 40-50% clip from the 12-15 foot range hasn't gone in in weeks........EW is a lot better right now and TO cannot be put in at the 4 because he can't guard anyone.......this is simple and all we can hope for is his game to turn around so he can impact the team in some way.......

As far as his "position" if he can't be decent at the 5 vs guys who can't move how can he guard guys that are athletic and fast at the 4? His best spot should be the 5..........

Reaction Score
I can shut up or tell it like I see it........I have given Tyler plenty of kudo's and praise even but for the last 6-7 games his impact is gone, nowhere to be found and that's obvious. If you can't help out the team you lose your minutes, no different than Ao last year. I love where the kid came from, worked hard to get here. But the improvement is now negated by a huge loss of confidence and not playing to his strengths. He continues to try to block shots, which he sucks at, instead of moving his feet and putting his hands straight up and then boxing out. He is not good on offense as the shot he made at a 40-50% clip from the 12-15 foot range hasn't gone in in weeks........EW is a lot better right now and TO cannot be put in at the 4 because he can't guard anyone.......this is simple and all we can hope for is his game to turn around so he can impact the team in some way.......

As far as his "position" if he can't be decent at the 5 vs guys who can't move how can he guard guys that are athletic and fast at the 4? His best spot should be the 5..........

Bingo

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if u guys think he is a 5 then i dont know what to say. he started at the 4 not to long ago. enough said for my opinion. its all good argument. on d hes getting beat becuase of his body getting over powered. at the 4 his feet may be a bit slow but his body then stacks up better and allows him to muscle his way to staying in front of guys.

Reaction Score
if u guys think he is a 5 then i dont know what to say. he started at the 4 not to long ago. enough said for my opinion. its all good argument. on d hes getting beat becuase of his body getting over powered. at the 4 his feet may be a bit slow but his body then stacks up better and allows him to muscle his way to staying in front of guys.

Gardner slithered by him when he had him dead to rights today and Otule did too......guards go by him when he should be helping but instead looks like h's in quicksand.......and he didn't even bother helping once and that one really PO'd KO.........we all want him to play better and he can but it wouldn't matter where you put him right now he's just not playing well.......

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Gardner slithered by him when he had him dead to rights today and Otule did too......guards go by him when he should be helping but instead looks like h's in quicksand.......and he didn't even bother helping once and that one really PO'd KO.........we all want him to play better and he can but it wouldn't matter where you put him right now he's just not playing well.......

ok u guys win as i dont want to argue it any more. i'm thankful for anything he gives us and i want to see him get a chance at the 4 with wolf in at the 5. until that happens and it fails i still think he can have a rebirth of sorts.

Reaction Score
ok u guys win as i dont want to argue it any more. i'm thankful for anything he gives us and i want to see him get a chance at the 4 with wolf in at the 5. until that happens and it fails i still think he can have a rebirth of sorts.

Except by doing that, you'll make it so you can only have DD or OC in at one time, gives us far less scoring options, even if it works on defense. Bad idea.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Except by doing that, you'll make it so you can only have DD or OC in at one time, gives us far less scoring options, even if it works on defense. Bad idea.

i mean for 10 minutes a game or w/e is inst going to kill us scoring wise. and who knows if it does work then the olander pick and pop with the guards could actually open up a dd or omar for 3 a lot off a kick and drive.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TO is being asked to do more than he really can. I said in the game thread that he's like Austrie/Garrison in '06. Overmatched and trying, but given a tough role.

I will say this for him - I watched more closely in the second half and he really was battling on the defensive glass. We got a few rebounds from Giffey/Bazz that were partly due to him occupying their bigs. He was playing sort of like the nose tackle that let's the linebackers fly in for tackles.

However, he is no longer an offensive threat due to his confidence problems, and he wasn't very good on defensive rotations either. So we are probably better off with Wolf and trying to have TO try to find a role as a spark off the bench who can contribute a couple hustle plays or unexpected buckets.
Very fair analysis. TO hias had his struggles but several folks are just ripping him apart without recognizing the many good things he is doing out there. He is a local kid, who was never considered to be a five star recuit who has busted his tail for UConn.

I love the energy that Wolf brings to the table and Phil Nolan makes some good plays but is also out of position on defense leading to easy baskets (not a surprise for a frosh)...but these guys need to ease up on the TO bashing!

Reaction Score
Very fair analysis. TO hias had his struggles but several folks are just ripping him apart without recognizing the many good things he is doing out there. He is a local kid, who was never considered to be a five star recuit who has busted his tail for UConn.

I love the energy that Wolf brings to the table and Phil Nolan makes some good plays but is also out of position on defense leading to easy baskets (not a surprise for a frosh)...but these guys need to ease up on the TO bashing!

Who 's "bashing"????? Just telling it like it is for now and hoping it changes.............I like the kid

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I think the problem Dan is that he's a tweener, and not the good kind. He's not strong enough to bang with college centers, and he's not quick enough laterally to defend college 4s. This isn't a knock, we're gonna need him to give us minutes because we don't have a choice, but I don't really want to pull Giffey or DD off the floor for him, they're both better fits at the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom