Is the tournament rigged in Dukes favor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is the tournament rigged in Dukes favor?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
K gets way too much credit . . . guy is a great recruiter and gets his guys to play hard, but he is in competition with Self and Boeheim for doing the least with the most talent.

It would useful for somebody to pull the AAs to Title ratio for K, Self, Boeheim, and JC.
It's like the Patriots - what they have done is not appreciated by most - figure out the average draft position of the starting 22 for all the Patriots teams over the last 18 years and you'd likely find that they're in the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the NFL. Persistent excellence without having the best resources year in and year out.

JC/Bellichek - true greatness.

Sure JC is better than K. But he doesn't do the least with the most talent not even close, he can't win it all every year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ha! Refs never make calls against duke.
I remember a Trajan Langdon travel and a Rashad Anderson strip that could have gone either way in the moment. Though in each case the ref got it right.

Reaction Score
K has been to the Sweet 16, or better, 22 times...
When you perennially get the best players in the country, making the final 16 is not evidence of excellent coaching.
The guy has 3 of the top 10 NBA draft pics, and 2 of the top 3, and he got lucky to beat UCF, and UCF didn't have a great game - if they had, they would have won by 10.
He's a great recruiter and he gets his kids to work hard. I will never confuse him with a great tactician or in-game coach. He's choked and lost too many games he should have won, including several very early NCAA exits against patsies.

Reaction Score
But 22 times?

Sure he gets talent...but to go to the Sixteen or better 22 times has to mean something.

Hall of Fame coach Thompson, in his 27 years at Georgetown, went to the 16 or better 8 times....with some pretty good talent.

Reaction Score
But Barrett didnt
Barrett did... he literally played 45 minutes, and Zion played 44. It's not that hard to look this stuff up:
1553786032935.png

Reaction Score
When you perennially get the best players in the country, making the final 16 is not evidence of excellent coaching.
The guy has 3 of the top 10 NBA draft pics, and 2 of the top 3, and he got lucky to beat UCF, and UCF didn't have a great game - if they had, they would have won by 10.
He's a great recruiter and he gets his kids to work hard. I will never confuse him with a great tactician or in-game coach. He's choked and lost too many games he should have won, including several very early NCAA exits against patsies.
Thank you. K has created a recruiting gold mine at Duke, or I should say K and ESPN.

Reaction Score
Barrett did... he literally played 45 minutes, and Zion played 44. It's not that hard to look this stuff up:
View attachment 41499
Think he confused him for Reddish who didn't play.

Why don't you go back to your board and debate how you are a Top 4-5 job with UK, Duke, North Carolina.

Reaction Score

UCF didn't have a great game??? Lol.

Aubrey Dawkins had the 2nd most points in his career.

All 3 of UCF's best players had ORTGs above 110. They shot 50% from 3 as a team Their PG had 7 assists to 2 turnovers.

The previous 3 teams against Duke scored less than 1 point per possession but UCF scored 1.10.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
UCF didn't have a great game??? Lol.

Aubrey Dawkins had the 2nd most points in his career.

All 3 of UCF's best players had ORTGs above 110. They shot 50% from 3 as a team Their PG had 7 assists to 2 turnovers.

The previous 3 teams against Duke scored less than 1 point per possession but UCF scored 1.10.

Facts don’t matter only narrative.

Reaction Score
UCF didn't have a great game??? Lol.Aubrey Dawkins had the 2nd most points in his career.
Lol. Dawkins had a career game, and was great, no doubt (but 4 turnovers).
Taco had a good, for him game, but fouled out.
3 other starters went 5 for 21 from the field.
In the last minutes of the game they blew a wide open dunk, a box out on a free throw, and two makeable shots for the win.
They had critical turnovers and mental errors in the last quarter of the game.
Duke did not look great. If UCF had a great game, they win by 10.

Reaction Score
Lol. Dawkins had a career game, and was great, no doubt (but 4 turnovers).
Taco had a good, for him game, but fouled out.
3 other starters went 5 for 21 from the field.
In the last minutes of the game they blew a wide open dunk, a box out on a free throw, and two makeable shots for the win.
They had critical turnovers and mental errors in the last quarter of the game.
Duke did not look great. If UCF had a great game, they win by 10.

There's a difference between a great game and a perfect game. This was a great game for them (at the absolute least).

James Harden averages 5 turnovers per game and might be NBA MVP. Dawkins' 4 don't matter if you are scoring THAT efficiently and using that many possessions (he still had a 136 ORTG).

When they beat us by 12 on the road earlier this year, they only scored 1 point per possession. They only scored over 1.12 ppp against 1 top 75 KenPom defense all year (South Florida,). And this was top 10 D Duke on a neutral court.

Critical turnovers and mental errors in the last quarter? They also had a 4 minute stretch starting with 6 minutes left in the game where they scored on 6 straight possessions for 15 points (2.5 points per possession. Yes, a 4 minute stretch where they scored MORE than 2 points per possession.) Overall in the last quarter they scored 1.26 points per possession against a great defense.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between a great game and a perfect game. This was a great game for them (at the absolute least).

James Harden averages 5 turnovers per game and might be NBA MVP. Dawkins' 4 don't matter if you are scoring THAT efficiently and using that many possessions (he still had a 136 ORTG).

When they beat us by 12 on the road earlier this year, they only scored 1 point per possession. They only scored over 1.12 ppp against 1 top 75 KenPom defense all year (South Florida,). And this was top 10 D Duke on a neutral court.

Critical turnovers and mental errors in the last quarter? They also had a 4 minute stretch starting with 6 minutes left in the game where they scored on 6 straight possessions for 15 points (2.5 points per possession. Yes, a 4 minute stretch where they scored MORE than 2 points per possession.) Overall in the last quarter they scored 1.26 points per possession against a great defense.
Good points. We can quibble over the difference between very good, great, and perfect, I suppose.

Reaction Score
I remember a Trajan Langdon travel and a Rashad Anderson strip that could have gone either way in the moment. Though in each case the ref got it right.
They make calls FOR duke, but not against duke. ;^)

Reaction Score
Sorry it was Reddish...wrong lottery pick. Going off my recollection...really not worth the time to look it up
All good. They're all part of the "Brotherhood" down at Duke anyway... for 5 months at least.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom