Is the SMU Game a must win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is the SMU Game a must win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Absolute must win. If we lose to SMU and don't win the AAC tourney, we're back to the NIT. No chance in hell we're in the tournament with 11 losses.

Reaction Score
Absolute must win. If we lose to SMU and don't win the AAC tourney, we're back to the NIT. No chance in hell we're in the tournament with 11 losses.
The chance of not winning both of our remaining games or winning the conference tournament is 45.4%. That's being on the bubble.

Reaction Score
Even with an smu win, no guarantee they get a bid. Win the aac tournament

Reaction Score
Even with an smu win, no guarantee they get a bid. Win the aac tournament
Well beat SMU, UCF and win at least the first 1 in the tourney will get us squarely on the bubble. Win 2 in the tourney and we will be in.

Reaction Score
"Is SMU a must win?" No. But.... any game short of a championship round game in the AAC tourney should be considered a must win. Get to the tourney final and UConn gets into the big dance regardless how they finish out the regular season.

Reaction Score
"Is SMU a must win?" No. But.... any game short of a championship round game in the AAC tourney should be considered a must win. Get to the tourney final and UConn gets into the big dance regardless how they finish out the regular season.
I don't agree with this. If we don't beat SMU and UCF we have to win the tourney. If we don't beat SMU we need to win the tournament.

Reaction Score

I do not agree. This conference should be treated as a mid major, one not likely to get more than 2 bids the way things are playing out.

Reaction Score
That's what bothers me the most. When the hell did we turn into a program that has no chance of beating a barely ranked team on the road? The AAC is killing us, back in the Big East days we'd go out and beat teams that would wipe the floor with this SMU team. That's the scariest thing of all for me.
Because (WAKE THE duck UP) this team is not one of those teams you're selectively remembering.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn needs 2 wins of any kind before Selection Sunday to be certain.

Reaction Score
UConn men always seem to play best when their backs are against the wall and this team is more talented than they've shown thus far. Maybe it's gonna take the reality of lose and it's over for them to play to their potential. They haven't played their best basketball yet and maybe the immediacy of survive and advance will coax that out of them.

Reaction Score
Even if they beat SMU, I think we're going to need to get to the AAC final. And if we lose Thursday, we're out unless we win the tournament.
Look at the other teams on the bubble. If they best SMU on the road they will be 3-1 vs. RPI Top 25, with wins @SMU, @Texas, N-Michigan...

The Houston loss today was terrible. But you're in a UConn centric bubble here. This loss put us on the bubble. A win @SMU pulls us off provided we don't the bed against UCF or against whatever team we get in the AAC first round. Those last two things aren't definites with this team, though.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. If we don't beat SMU and UCF we have to win the tourney. If we don't beat SMU we need to win the tournament.

We're not even in the last 4 in right now. Beat UCF and the first round opponent in the AACT and we're fine.

zls44

Reaction Score
We're not even in the last 4 in right now. Beat UCF and the first round opponent in the AACT and we're fine.

The first round opponent will likely be Houston.

You were saying?

Reaction Score
The first round opponent will likely be Houston.

You were saying?

Uh, that it validates what I was saying? Win against UCF and the first game of the AAC tourney and we're in, first round opponent doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
SMU is a must win if we want to lock up a home NIT game. Still think we would need to beat SMU and then win at least a couple in AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
SMU is a must win if we want to lock up a home NIT game. Still think we would need to beat SMU and then win at least a couple in AAC tourney.
Find me 36 at-large teams with better resumes.

I mean, seriously. Do it, and then maybe I'd agree with you.

But you can't. Because the bubble is particularly garbage this year.

zls44

Reaction Score
Uh, that it validates what I was saying? Win against UCF and the first game of the AAC tourney and we're in, first round opponent doesn't matter.

The first team they will play in the AAC tournament would be Houston.

zls44

Reaction Score
Find me 36 at-large teams with better resumes.

I mean, seriously. Do it, and then maybe I'd agree with you.

But you can't. Because the bubble is particularly garbage this year.

I like how Amore and Borges both just said UConn has to win at SMU or win the AACT to get in.

Its like there isnt other college basketball to these guys.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I like how Amore and Borges both just said UConn has to win at SMU or win the AACT to get in.

Its like there isnt other college basketball to these guys.
I'd expect Borges would know better but we'll see in 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
Lets keep things in perspective, a team with like 6-7 losses may be a 1 seed in the tourney. There will be teams with losing records in the conference getting at large bids. If we play well against smu and beat c florida and a couple of games in the AAC tourney we will be fine.

Reaction Score
Need 3 wins to feel safe:

A) SMU + UCF + AACT quarters
B) UCF + AACT quarters + AACT semis
C) Win AACT (obvious)

Just 2 wins will leave us sweating on Selection Sunday, especially with the Committee's previously-evident disdain for the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom