Is The B.E. The Likely Final Landing Spot? | The Boneyard

Is The B.E. The Likely Final Landing Spot?

Reaction Score
Hate to speculate but since that’s all we do anyway it seems to be the popular opinion here that we are realistically locked out of a P5 slot because our football is doomed to mediocrity for all purposes and is not worthy or competitive for a spot. That is the sense I am getting. Don’t get me wrong, I think our schedule and recruiting benefits so much it’s worth the move for basketball both men and women, and for all sports for that matter except one, football. Edsall got a real kick in the nuts here but I don’t feel bad about a guy making a million bucks a year who at one time bolted from the program. Since some ACC football is less than great should a slot and offer open up UCONN would run out of the B.E. to take it say 5 years from now or are we B.E. from now until the end of time?

Reaction Score
Hate to speculate but since that’s all we do anyway it seems to be the popular opinion here that we are realistically locked out of a P5 slot because our football is doomed to mediocrity for all purposes and is not worthy or competitive for a spot. That is the sense I am getting. Don’t get me wrong, I think our schedule and recruiting benefits so much it’s worth the move for basketball both men and women, and for all sports for that matter except one, football. Edsall got a real kick in the nuts here but I don’t feel bad about a guy making a million bucks a year who at one time bolted from the program. Since some ACC football is less than great should a slot and offer open up UCONN would run out of the B.E. to take it say 5 years from now or are we B.E. from now until the end of time?
The end of time may be 5 years from now.

Reaction Score
I think we've given up on getting an invite to the current P5. In my opinion, UConn is saying:
  • the AAC will never be treated as a "P6" so we may as well associate with a better basketball conference where we have some traditional and closer opponents;
  • the AAC is a tenuous home, because while it has been getting better (football and basketball), we think the next round of realignment will poach the top AAC teams, and we're not one of them; and/or
  • we will never be able to hang with the AAC in football and the BE is a better fit overall.
It's hard to imagine that we think the move to the BE will get us to the ACC, B1G or Big12. There is a chance that the P5 further marginalizes everyone not in the P5 (including the BE), but decides to give the AAC a seat. This may be the best move possible for UConn, but it's capitulation, not victory.

Reaction Score
It was nice to be at our last win over a ranked team FOUR years ago. Might be a while before we do that again. If ever.

We could easily have been a middling team in the AAC at worst, with top 3 showings here and there. Not going to be easy to conpete with southern schools with lower academic standards.

Reaction Score
Anyone who claims to know the answer to that is lying.

We beat #15 Syracuse last year.
I think he was talking about Football. Did you mean last win vs a ranked team or just win.

Reaction Score
Hope this can be somehow parlayed to a P5 spot. Without it and we are permanently stuck as UConn1980

Reaction Score
well the dream for beating a ranked football team is dead if not already
It wasn't. But this move might kill it.

We were able to win in the AAC with the right recruits. Diaco recruited very badly. How hard is this to comprehend?

Reaction Score
UConn literally could not afford to let the football team drag the basketball program down with it. They made the right call.
If we were winning as Cronin did, we'd have probably stayed in the AAC.

This all comes down to people valuing the school for immediate entertainment than long term strategic social and economic value. Many bball fans made clear they are not UConn grads. If someone who is a lawyer in the corporate world says this is a bad move, many of you guys don't care. All some of you care for is UConn basketball. Not UConn.

Reaction Score
All some of you care for is UConn basketball. Not UConn.
UConn basketball IS UConn. God help us all if that "football" team was ever considered to be our identity

Reaction Score
UConn literally could not afford to let the football team drag the basketball program down with it. They made the right call.
Conveniently and completely ignoring how horrific the basketball team performed during the entire AAC tenure...I'm sure that had nothing to do with dragging the basketball program down.....

Reaction Score

This all comes down to people valuing the school for immediate entertainment than long term strategic social and economic value. Many bball fans made clear they are not UConn grads. If someone who is a lawyer in the corporate world says this is a bad move, many of you guys don't care. All some of you care for is UConn basketball. Not UConn.
Oh get lost. Who made you the gatekeeper of who is or isn’t a UConn fan, clown?

Reaction Score
The white flag was raised for football when we retreaded Edsall. They gave up. Football sucks anyway.

Reaction Score
Oh get lost. Who made you the gatekeeper of who is or isn’t a UConn fan, clown?
Slow your roll. There's clearly a schism between fans of the athletic department as a whole and fans of just basketball. There was talk of dancing on footballs grave over on the basketball board. NOT a good look from so-called UConn fans. Hope you're not one of those.

Reaction Score

It's crap football we dislike.

Reaction Score
I think the entire landscape is going to change in the next 10-25 years in ways we can't imagine. Scandals bigger than previous ones. Injustices etc. We just need to hang on until everything implodes and remember that UConn is really about creating the best young adults to go out into the world

Reaction Score
The answer to the original question I believe is yes.

Perhaps if UConn can get into the Sunbelt (perhaps by playing basketball games with the Sunbelt OOC) the Huskies can take advantage of their bowl agreements and get the program above .500 by the time the NBE contract runs out (which is around the time other conference deals are up)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom