Is the American good for uconn | The Boneyard

Is the American good for uconn

Reaction Score
I believe that the American is not a good fit for uconn. Racking up easy wins does not help develop a strong team. It leads to overconfidence and soft play. A more challenging conference would help toughen the players and get them used to playing with some pressure on them. I do think this years team thought their defense was better than it actually was. They got used to playing D for half the game then coasting.

Reaction Score
Okay, I totally agree, but there seems to be absolutely no option for UConn. It's not as though other, better leagues are breaking down their doors to get the Huskies. And UConn has out the word out that it's willing to move elsewhere. Bad decisions on the part of administrators, both in sports and higher in the institution, the egos of some politicians and a too=strong sense of hubris and entitlement caused others in sport to want to cut UConn down to size, so they did. All that was left was the American.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I believe that the American is not a good fit for uconn. Racking up easy wins does not help develop a strong team. It leads to overconfidence and soft play. A more challenging conference would help toughen the players and get them used to playing with some pressure on them. I do think this years team thought their defense was better than it actually was. They got used to playing D for half the game then coasting.
I agree with your first sentence. Then...

how-have-cat-to-be-kitten-me-right-meow.jpg

Reaction Score
The debate goes on if it's bad for UConn or not. But I definitely don't believe it's good for you guys. I feel bad. I'm ignorant to the other UConn sports, but I read that they're bad. Too bad switching conference couldn't be for just WBB or CBB altogether. If I had the choice, I would swap out Boston College and UConn in ACC WBB. Of course, that's never going to happen.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It may not be a good thing for the women's team to mow down all AAC competition, but you can't look at it in a vacuum only from the perspective of women's BB.

UCONN has an athletic dept. with many sports programs. The AAC is by far the best of the G5 football leagues, which puts it only a small notch below the P5 leagues. It's arguably just as good if not better than the old Big East, which was a major BCS football league. The AAC is also a good baseball league. Football is the only sport that matters financially, so if you want to see UCONN get into a P5 league, improving football is the only way to make it there.

Right now there are no better options other than P5 membership, but that possibility is way off in the future, if ever. UCONN needs to stay the course in the AAC to have any chance, however slim, to get into a P5 league.

Also, despite an overall upgrade in competition level for women's BB, the bottom half of most P5 leagues don't offer much more competition than the AAC does against UCONN. When's the last time we lost to or were even threatened by a lower tier P5 team?

Reaction Score
Some people here do not understand how college athletics work. We are new blood at the top tier. You do realize jealousy is part of college athletics, too? We have to really earn our way up. We're in the process of doing that. Until then, just stop freaking complaining about the AAC. The AAC is actually not a bad conference, at all. All schools are trying to improve the profiles of their athletic departments and get the heck out of the conference. Geez.

This really does get old. Is it that hard to try to understand reality?

The AAC women's bball programs are interested in building themselves up. UConn is leading the freaking way for them all. We already won 2 national titles while a member of the AAC. And a title in men's bball, too.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The debate goes on if it's bad for UConn or not. But I definitely don't believe it's good for you guys. I feel bad. I'm ignorant to the other UConn sports, but I read that they're bad. Too bad switching conference couldn't be for just WBB or CBB altogether. If I had the choice, I would swap out Boston College and UConn in ACC WBB. Of course, that's never going to happen.
We can switch conferences for basketball only.

Reaction Score
UConn has 22 NCAA Div. I championships across all sports. If UConn were in the ACC, only Virginia (25) and UNC (43) would have more. In other words UConn would have a better athletics pedigree than almost every team in today's ACC. If UConn were in the B1G, they'd be 8th, and 5th in the SEC. That's just from the list I found on Wikipedia, and the NCAA site probably has a more complete list, but that gives you an idea of where UConn stands among its peers.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
No we can't. That would only be allowed if the AAC didn't have basketball.
Sorry, we can remain in the AAC for football only and join the Big East for all other sports. Or join the Big East and go independent for football.

Reaction Score

Of course it isn't! The lack of competition, brutal travel schedule, lack of traditional rivalries, and difficulties in recruiting are all huge factors as to why the AAC is a horrible fit for UConn. The ACC was the perfect fit for UConn in terms of geographical location, rivalries(ND, Duke, Louisville, competition, etc). Unfortunately, thanks to BC, that ship has sailed, and we are now stuck in this embarrassment of a conference for the foreseeable future

Reaction Score
UConn has 22 NCAA Div. I championships across all sports. If UConn were in the ACC, only Virginia (25) and UNC (43) would have more. In other words UConn would have a better athletics pedigree than almost every team in today's ACC. If UConn were in the B1G, they'd be 8th, and 5th in the SEC. That's just from the list I found on Wikipedia, and the NCAA site probably has a more complete list, but that gives you an idea of where UConn stands among its peers.
Well I was talking about more or less recent history with the boys basketball and football. I definitely don't keep up to date with almost any other NCAA sport.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Of course it isn'tgood but what's to be done? Until a big conference accepts the entire package of our sports teams the women are stuck in the crummy American.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn women’s sports is quite strong. This year, the field hockey team won its third consecutive national championship - beating three ACC teams along the way. Soccer and ice hockey have historically been in and out of the rankings. Men’s soccer has won a couple championships and is usually ranked. It’s football and men’s hoops that are down; both have new coaches, so we’ll see.

BC is the reason UConn isn’t in the ACC now. They blackballed UConn so you got Louisville instead.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The AAC football got a big boost this year from UCF who was the only undefeated D1 team. They also beat both teams that played for the NC. Of course the head coach was poached by Nebraska (his alma mater). But it's a step in the right direction for football.

Reaction Score
Well I was talking about more or less recent history with the boys basketball and football. I definitely don't keep up to date with almost any other NCAA sport.
Boy’s basketball 4 titles of the last 22. How many other schools have that many? The men’s and women’s basketball teams have combined to win 14 basketball titles of the last 44 since 1997. Find me another school that has dominated basketball that much. We are still new to football at this level having made the jump to the FBS level 15 years ago. We have other sports that are pretty good as well as Nan mentioned above. UConn belongs in a P5 conference more than half the teams that are in those leagues today. Better academics than most of those teams, better media market, and an albeit short sports history that is also better than most of those teams. Plus our school generally is free from the kind of scandals and controversy that seem like a requirement to get into the P5 these days. It’s funny how everyone thinks their school has the athletic history of Stanford, USC, or UCLA while little old UConn just doesn’t measure up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry, we can remain in the AAC for football only and join the Big East for all other sports. Or join the Big East and go independent for football.
You make it sound like UConn just needs to ask the ACC or Big 10 to join to get in. It’s not that eas

Reaction Score
Uh, no we can't. Do you even bother to compute 1+1=2?

On top of that, the Big East is a step down. The AAC lost Vilanova in women's rowing but gained Florida and Vanderbilt in women's lacrosse. The SEC even puts their programs in the AAC. Yeah, the Big East sure sounds like the way to go.

This gets so old. :rolleyes: Who the heck does the Big East give UConn competition in women's basketball? Has anyone ever even bothered to think about even that? God Almighty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No beating a dead horse attack here paisan although it is deserved. ;) :D
This topic has been hashed, bashed and rehashed for four years now. Geno has aggressively pursued the best out of conference schedule possible to offset the conference. If you do your homework on woman's basketball the dynamics are simply not yet what some people expect.

My question to you would be, when have you ever seen a Geno coached team coast??? He sits starters if they don't play up to his expectations as well as bench players.
He has made national headlines for benching AA type players and not afraid to let some walk if they don't like to work hard. Good gracious, they have been in the last 11 Final Fours in a row, sometimes the other team actually wins. Should they get some credit for actually paying attention to what Geno has been doing and willing to share and making it work?
There are 335 D1 woman's teams, how many would one think would like to be in this company. I will let you do the math on the few that are.

Tennessee

64–48

Stanford

St. Pete Times Forum (Tampa, Florida)

LSU & Connecticut

Connecticut

76–54

Louisville

Scottrade Center (St. Louis, Missouri)

Stanford & Oklahoma

Connecticut

53–47

Stanford

Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas)

Baylor & Oklahoma

Texas A&M

76–70

Notre Dame

Conseco Fieldhouse (Indianapolis, Indiana)

Connecticut & Stanford

Baylor

80–61

Notre Dame

Pepsi Center (Denver, Colorado)

Stanford & Connecticut

Connecticut

93–60

Louisville

New Orleans Arena (New Orleans, Louisiana)

Notre Dame & California

Connecticut

79–58

Notre Dame

Bridgestone Arena (Nashville, Tennessee)

Stanford & Maryland

Connecticut

63–53

Notre Dame

Amalie Arena (Tampa, Florida)

South Carolina & Maryland

Connecticut

82–51

Syracuse

Bankers Life Fieldhouse (Indianapolis, Indiana)

Oregon State & Washington

South Carolina

67–55

Mississippi State

American Airlines Center (Dallas, Texas)

Connecticut & Stanford

Notre Dame

61–58

Mississippi State

Nationwide Arena (Columbus, Ohio)

Connecticut & Louisville

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Your ideas are ludicrous. NBE commish Val Ackerman was asked recently about UCONN joining her conference. Her response was what are they going to do with their football program? She came pretty close to saying she'd have to personally witness P&W Stadium being destroyed by a wrecking ball for that to happen.

Going independent in football is complete nonsense. There's no way you can put together an adequate schedule and you have no bowl tie ins. UCONN went 9-3 during the 2003 season as an independent I-A team and sat home during bowl season while lesser teams from every football league in the country got bowl bids.

The bottom line is UCONN isn't giving up on getting into a P5 league by bulldozing the football stadium anytime soon. The state isn't about to let Rentschler Field become a 90 million dollar white elephant. If you want to see UCONN in a better conference, football is the only way to get there.

Reaction Score
The AAC will be the home of the UConn Huskies for the foreseeable future. AAC members could say the same about UConn men's athletics that some here say about women's athletics. UConn men's athletics are dragging the conference down, in reality. The other AAC members will catch up on the women's level, it is only a matter of time. The AAC is not the reason that UConn women's basketball choked in the last two final fours.

Reaction Score
UConn women’s sports is quite strong. This year, the field hockey team won its third consecutive national championship - beating three ACC teams along the way. Soccer and ice hockey have historically been in and out of the rankings. Men’s soccer has won a couple championships and is usually ranked. It’s football and men’s hoops that are down; both have new coaches, so we’ll see.

BC is the reason UConn isn’t in the ACC now. They blackballed UConn so you got Louisville instead.
It's a bummer that so many programs are successful except the two "important" ones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a bummer that so many programs there are successful except the two "important" ones.
Why do you think our men's basketball isn't successful? Just because it has been a whole 4 years since our last national championship? What other program has won 4 national championships in the last couple of decades?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom