Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TN is getting like $40M /year from the SEC Network and conference.

I would love to be so financially strapped.

that had been running deficits in recent years, which is pretty impressive considering how much SEC money there is.

But they've righted the ship and are making money again from what I understand they've published lately.

One way you don't stay so far in the black is pay big payouts to WBB coaches and spend money on successors. That's probably not in the cards for them, but you do never know.

Reaction Score
This is highly inaccurate. TN is currently strapped financially paying a bunch of coaches that are no longer even coaching at TN. Every time you fire a coach mid-contract, be ready to keep paying. Holly doesn't get paid nearly what the top coaches in the SEC are paid. To lure a proven coach would mean TN needs to be ready to pay a handsome salary. Fulmer definitely cares alot about women's athletics. Spewing any thing other than that is irresponsible and not taking the time to know the details.
So let’s see- TN wasted their money on bad decisions in the men’s programs so they can’t afford to fund the women? If that’s your argument-they care but they are broke- well that is the kind of crap women have heard for the last 100 years. Actions and evidence speak a lot louder than words and the current state of the Vols program says Fulmer doesn’t care. Don’t misunderstand, I loathe the Vols. However, I also care about the health of women’s basketball at all schools and what is happening in Knoxville is bad for the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jeez Louis, glad I took a snow day! I wonder how Shauna Green as HC of Tenn will approach the game? By then she just may have whipped the team (those that remained after the first 2 weeks of practice) into some sense of order and discipline. Oh, the snow , 12 inches added overnight and it snowed all day. Cabin fever obviously setting in.

Blizzard of 2019.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well first, let's hope that day never comes. Warlick for Life!

However, IF that horrible day does come, my vote is for either Coach Jumper or Tyler Summit.
I've never seen someone less capable lobby harder for a job that's a no win situation than Coach Jumper. The man takes the word obnoxious to ever ascending and tasteless heights. Since he isn't being careful hopefully he'll get exactly what he wishes for.

Reaction Score
Edit - I wrote this before reading Nan's reply to this post so I am being a bit repetitive here.

Flip side of the coin - when you consider our current roster and all future Huskies, just like the Lady Vol palyers, none of them were present at the time of the ugliness that Tennessee started. I have no idea to what extent memories of this are passed down as part of locker room lore but my guess is very little since Geno & company are masters at keeping their players focused on what is in front of them, not where they've been. And perhaps I'm wrong here, but I have a hard time imagining that when the teams next meet, be it in the tournament this year or upon the resumption of the series next season, Geno will be asking his players to lay it on hard on the Lady Vols to punish them for what Rocky Top did. (Except if it is a beat down, maybe he'd keep the starters in a bit longer than usual.)

While emotionally I think your assessment of how Geno will treat the first game, in some time, with UT Vols will be a beat down is probably correct.
Logically, I think (only Geno knows and he probably won't know until game time,) Geno will want his kids to concentrate on playing the game and winning. Winning is much more important to Geno and us than trampling kids that never played for Pat. However, I like your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Here is an article I found earlier today that I thought was fair and balanced from Nashville about the current situation and what will get Tenn to the tournament.

Lady Vols lose by double digits again, this time to South Carolina
The Second paragraph sentence ---had a tone/ring of stuff read here about other than the Vol Nation.
The vols need to make a bumper sticker out of Hollys ---motivational assertion: We dug ourselves a hole! Ya think?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes bang on meyers7
The creme de la creme players who choose Tennessee are smart women and I assume so are their parents ... They know Holly's record and coaching acumen full well.....
I have always thought that reason they choose Tennessee is the history (can look at 8 banners) the fan base (loyal and passionate) and yes the coach..... I think they see an opportunity to work less than 100% on the court, do what they want, get free education, and get on TV occasionally. and I would say to many of those who disagree..... when in Holly's tenure has there been evidence of player respect for the coach....
I remember Massengale a few years back say at start of season.... that she realizes the team needs to listen to what the coach is saying.... as opposed to the year before.... well it lasted a game or so then it reverted to previous form.... I remember Holly saying in presser "I tell them to get in defensive stance, but they don't want to" couldn't believe i heard that.... I look at old games of Pat's teams and the ferocity and passion her teams showed, and then hear Holly say after dispassionate performance "I can't ask anything more from my players".... Players see this.... not saying that it is the ONLY reason they go to Knoxville.... but they know full well it is an easy skate
Bashaara Graves, Isabel Harrison & Draya Carter, Jaime Nared, Kourtney Dunbar, & Jordan Reynolds (just to name a few) definitely respected Holly and the truth is they were going to respect whomever was coaching them including Geno. Let's not let a few bad apples cloud our judgement. If anything these players respected and trusted Holly too much.
I tend to agree with you that some of the players that choose TN, did so knowing that they will not be pushed beyond their limits. There are only a handful of programs where players are GUARANTEED to be pushed beyond their limits though. IMO good players (HS AA caliber) continue to go to Knoxville because the sales pitch is a very strong one. That sales pitch includes a strong dose of: RETURN to glory for the Lady Vols program and an individual element: You are THAT missing ingredient.
There aren't many programs that can make this strong a pitch and I not sure I would pitch it any differently if I were in TN' shoes. That pitch can be equally intoxicating to a 18 year old kid as it can be to a parent because what TN is saying is your kid comes here they can become legendary.

Reaction Score
Bashaara Graves, Isabel Harrison & Draya Carter, Jaime Nared, Kourtney Dunbar, & Jordan Reynolds (just to name a few) definitely respected Holly and the truth is they were going to respect whomever was coaching them including Geno. Let's not let a few bad apples cloud our judgement. If anything these players respected and trusted Holly too much.
I tend to agree with you that some of the players that choose TN, did so knowing that they will not be pushed beyond their limits. There are only a handful of programs where players are GUARANTEED to be pushed beyond their limits though. IMO good players (HS AA caliber) continue to go to Knoxville because the sales pitch is a very strong one. That sales pitch includes a strong dose of: RETURN to glory for the Lady Vols program and an individual element: You are THAT missing ingredient.
There aren't many programs that can make this strong a pitch and I not sure I would pitch it any differently if I were in TN' shoes. That pitch can be equally intoxicating to a 18 year old kid as it can be to a parent because what TN is saying is your kid comes here they can become legendary.

Integrity, honesty, fairness, truth! The pitch you refer to is one that is used, not only by Tn, but other programs: Join us and you will be the key to the NC these next 4 years. Top level kids , with a good supporting cast, we have seen, can do that to a program. I doubt under Holly that will happen.
You are SOOOO right--kids and parents do their homework some want to be pushed some don't think they need to be pushed. Some actually are very close to the next level already and know it.
Pat and a number of current coaches fit your final paragraph--we Uconn fans have seen more than we are entitled to see to become legendary--it happens.

Reaction Score
Remember the "grind for 9" slogan in Holly's first year... they have not focused on that goal since

it has been a pedestrian environment all of Holly's reign.... and if there is an absence of agreement on opinion here, I would put forth as evidence any full game tape in the last 8 years..... the effort, the heart, the fundamentals, the concern over turnovers, the shot selection, playing as a team etc.... or absence of all of those

Reaction Score
Bad News for Tennessee fans:
Lady Vols fans has been in uproar/rage over their players and coaches all year long. Evina Westbrook's mother saw a post from the LV fans dragging her daughter and this is what she had to say.

" Sonya Howell you won't have to worry about my daughters poor performance and all the negative things you have to say about a 20 year old student athlete for long. Honestly what type of person, an adult, talks about a young lady that gives 200% to her team every day? You know nothing about my daughter and you have no idea what you're talking about. Any D1 school would be happy to have her. Learn some facts before your twitter fingers get the best of you. Oh and thanks again."

Sounds like another transfer to me!

Reaction Score
Evina and her family knew what they were getting into when they signed.... now they live with it... and so does UT

Reaction Score
Well if Westbrook does transfer there are a lot of teams that would have her. Including those in Oregon and probably one close to the hear of posters on this site.

Parents do read posts. I wonder if the Duke fans even realized that all the negatives they have been posting has impacted recruiting to that school. Not the smartest tactic in the world.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well if Westbrook does transfer there are a lot of teams that would have her. Including those in Oregon and probably one close to the hear of posters on this site.

Parents do read posts. I wonder if the Duke fans even realized that all the negatives they have been posting has impacted recruiting to that school. Not the smartest tactic in the world.
Duke? I thought Westbrook played for Tennessee.

I wonder if it's more insulting to Duke or Tennessee that people are getting them confused now. (Care to weigh in, @triaddukefan ?)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bad News for Tennessee fans:
Lady Vols fans has been in uproar/rage over their players and coaches all year long. Evina Westbrook's mother saw a post from the LV fans dragging her daughter and this is what she had to say.

" Sonya Howell you won't have to worry about my daughters poor performance and all the negative things you have to say about a 20 year old student athlete for long. Honestly what type of person, an adult, talks about a young lady that gives 200% to her team every day? You know nothing about my daughter and you have no idea what you're talking about. Any D1 school would be happy to have her. Learn some facts before your twitter fingers get the best of you. Oh and thanks again."

Sounds like another transfer to me!
Where did you find this statement? On social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom