Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament? | The Boneyard

Is Tennessee Out of the Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tennessee lost again last night, this time to Texas A&M, and lost convincingly. That makes 9 losses so far on the season, and places them 9th in the SEC standings. And they still have to play South Carolina among their last three opponents. They have a losing record in the SEC at 6-7.

Is Tennessee a zombie team? One which, no matter how poorly they perform, the NCAA tournament committee simply can't conceive of acknowledging that they're dead, and keeps putting them in? Or should they be considered an also-ran on the merits, and left out this time?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee lost again last night, this time to Texas A&M, and lost convincingly. That makes 9 losses so far on the season, and places them 9th in the SEC standings. And they still have to play South Carolina among their last three opponents. They have a losing record in the SEC at 6-7. Is Tennessee a zombie team? One which, no matter how poorly they perform, the NCAA tournament committee simply can't conceive of acknowledging that they're dead, and keeps putting them in? Or should they be considered an also-ran on the merits, and left out this time?
Beyond the reveal of the top 16 teams a few weeks ago the selection committee has not spoken on this.
Charlie Crème "bracketology" which currently excludes TN could change because TN has three games remaining SC, Vandy and Ol' Miss. A win at home against SC + a decent run in the SEC tournament could get them into the tournament. A decent run= beating a top 25 team in the SEC tournament of which there are expected to be 5 top 25 teams ( SC, Kentucky, Mississippi State, TA&M, Missouri).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The LVs have a chance with a good win or two. But losing to Bama or Ole Miss will get them a ticket to the WNIT.

Reaction Score
They talked about it last night during the game. If Tennessee wins that last 2 games of the season and 1 win during the tournament, they're in.

Reaction Score
Last year's Oklahoma team got in with a 16-14 record. Tennessee probably just needs another win to make it. Despite how lackluster their season has been, there probably aren't 40 teams better than them to keep them out.
"There probably aren't 40 teams better than them to keep them out." - Unfortunately, that's not the case. But, as I've said, its tough to kill a "legacy" system, and unfortunately, many on the tournament committee can't get the LV out of their system, no matter how undeserving they are.

Reaction Score
Letting the 9th place SEC team in is too much respect for the SEC. 9 teams is ridiculous.

Now, they, of course, could earn themselves a better number, with what they have in reg season and conf tournament play—-anything can happen — but right now they’re OUT and IN a big hole to climb out of.

They show no indication they are anything what they’ve shown themselves to be, and are accurately characterized by their current record. IMO

If it comes down to throwing someone a bone, and if you want to grow the game — you throw the bone to an extra bid to a lesser conference.

Just my view. They’re out.

They shoot horses —- don’t they ?

Reaction Score
Letting the 9th place SEC team in is too much respect for the SEC. 9 teams is ridiculous.

Now, they, of course, could earn themselves a better number, with what they have in reg season and conf tournament play—-anything can happen — but right now they’re OUT and IN a big hole to climb out of.

They show no indication they are anything what they’ve shown themselves to be, and are accurately characterized by their current record. IMO

If it comes down to throwing someone a bone, and if you want to grow the game — you throw the bone to an extra bid to a lesser conference.

Agree, from what I have seen Tennessee should not be a Tournament team. They have talent but it is obvious at least to me that talent is not being developed.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Tennessee is not a good team this season despite the oodles of talent on the roster, but they aren't so bad that they should be relegated to the WNIT, They are ranked 36th by Massey, 35th by LRMC, 27th by Sonny Moore (not yet updated to include last night's loss to A&M), and 41st in RPI. It's not their legacy that will get them into the tournament, but the raw numbers. Sure, they should be mocked for their performance given their talent, but if the season ended today, they're in the NCAA tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee is not a good team this season despite the oodles of talent on the roster, but they aren't so bad that they should be relegated to the WNIT, They are ranked 36th by Massey, 35th by LRMC, 27th by Sonny Moore (not yet updated to include last night's loss to A&M), and 41st in RPI. It's not their legacy that will get them into the tournament, but the raw numbers. Sure, they should be mocked for their performance given their talent, but if the season ended today, they're in the NCAA tournament.
Despite all that talent TN is in 9th place in the SEC. If they are selected, does the Committee also select ALL 8 teams above them?

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I know this has been many times by @vowelguy, but they don't award conferences bids, but rather teams. Just because the 9th place team in a conference makes the tournament doesn't secure spots for the 8 teams that finished above them. Based on merit, the SEC does not deserve the 8 tournament teams that Creme presently has proposed, but that's not the way it works. Those 8 teams probably will receive much crappier seeds than the PAC12 and ACC teams receive.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Despite all that talent TN is in 9th place in the SEC. If they are selected, does the Committee also select ALL 8 teams above them?
No, not necessarily. There have been plenty of times that the committee has selected teams "out of order" if you're just looking at conference standings.

For one thing, the unbalanced conference schedules mean that conference standings are not a reliable measuring stick. Some teams have to play a much more difficult conference schedule than others. The other variable, of course, is nonconference play.

Tennessee picked up a quality nonconference road win at Texas. This is just one reason why Tennessee is in contention for a bid, while (for example) Georgia—which is one game ahead of TN in the SEC right now but did nothing good in its OOC—isn't.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

You have to factor in non-conference play where Tennessee outshines most SEC squads. They have the win over Texas and only losses were to Stanford and Notre Dame. Honestly, anyone who doesn't like Tennessee should be hoping they do sneak into the tournament because it'll ensure Holly sticks around another year or 2.

Reaction Score
Creme has 8 SEC teams in, so no. Georgia is out. He also has LSU in but below TN. I assume it’s strength of schedule.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If they pull of beating The Gamecocks they will skate by I think. The shouldn't, but the "club" will make it happen. Lose to SC ;) and it's game over, game over, what the **** are we going to do now! Private Hudson a/k/a Bill Paxton, Aliens. I'd put it up but its PG Rated.

Reaction Score
I know this has been many times by @vowelguy, but they don't award conferences bids, but rather teams. Just because the 9th place team in a conference makes the tournament doesn't secure spots for the 8 teams that finished above them. Based on merit, the SEC does not deserve the 8 tournament teams that Creme presently has proposed, but that's not the way it works. Those 8 teams probably will receive much crappier seeds than the PAC12 and ACC teams receive.
Yes, I understand — but I also understand that the big conferences also throw their weight on the selection committee - and the team that squeaks in has a case that’s readily supportable —- so there’s always a fallback to cover the pick, and their asses.

As an aside, the bigger story on seedlings is what happens if ND runs their tournament IMO, not Tennessee. Assuming it’s LV and ND - I think the winner goes to Chicago as 1 and the loser goes to Albany as 2 —- that’s material to us and matchups.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's really easy to see Tennessee's lackluster play last night, or see their lackluster record in the SEC, and say "How can they be in the tournament??" But everything in tournament selection is a comparison game. If you say Tennessee doesn't deserve a bid, you're saying that there are 32 at-large teams with better resumes than Tennessee's. And right now I don't think that's the case.

Reaction Score
It is important to remember that the committee doesn't look at conference record or standings at all. They look at a team's record as a whole, with no distinctions between conference and non-conference games.

I also think a lot of us who generally follow teams that are perpetually in the top 5 forget how life is at the bubble. All of those teams are flawed, and all have losses that top teams would consider bad. Tennessee does still have a couple decent wins, which will likely push them over the top. They have certainly underachieved, but performance relative to potential is not a selection criteria.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand — but I also understand that the big conferences also throw their weight on the selection committee - and the team that squeaks in has a case that’s readily supportable —- so there’s always a fallback to cover the pick, and their asses.

As an aside, the bigger story on seedlings is what happens if ND runs their tournament IMO, not Tennessee. Assuming it’s LV and ND - I think the winner goes to Chicago as 1 and the loser goes to Albany as 2 —- that’s material to us and matchups.
I don't believe there's any evidence that "the big conferences throw their weight on the selection committee."

Some mid-major bubble teams have been selected. A few years ago St. Bonaventure was a bit of a surprise pick as the last team selected in the field.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did Holly happen to says whose job it is to inspire them?

Yes Wow.... I never have seen such a disinterested and uninspired team..... Rennia Davis looked like she wants the season to end yesterday.... UT lost to a Texas A & M team that didn't play well but of course it was still enough to beat the LVs by 17

To answer this thread.... TN has win over Texas who is at bottom of top 25.... vs several losses to bad teams.... (Alabama etc)

I do not care whether they get into tournament.... except for the good TN posters on this board.... they are not playing a brand of basketball that makes you want to watch them..... no offense hustle only in spurts.... and no heart..... Pat would have not tolerated this.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is important to remember that the committee doesn't look at conference record or standings at all. They look at a team's record as a whole, with no distinctions between conference and non-conference games.

I also think a lot of us who generally follow teams that are perpetually in the top 5 forget how life is at the bubble. All of those teams are flawed, and all have losses that top teams would consider bad. Tennessee does still have a couple decent wins, which will likely push them over the top. They have certainly underachieved, but performance relative to potential is not a selection criteria.
This does not compute. Your conference record is part of your overall record. If the committee is looking at your overall record (which is partially your conference record) they are in fact looking at your conference record. Secondly, TN only achieve a winning record by beating these teams: Murray State, Belmont, Florida A&M, Stetson, & UAB-aka cupcakes. A 6 and 7 record in the SEC is surely more impressive than beating up on those cupcakes, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom