Is Spanos on the hot seat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Spanos on the hot seat?

Reaction Score
Maybe he sees something we all don’t. Time will tell, but time has been unkind to us.
Mora and Spanos together at UCLA defenses ranked 40th and 35th in 2012 and 2013 respectively! Maybe what Mora sees!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mora and Spanos together at UCLA defenses ranked 40th and 35th in 2012 and 2013 respectively! Maybe what Mora sees!
How did those seasons not make it into the aforementioned sample size? I would consider them relevant.

Reaction Score
It's a moot point. He's not going anywhere for now. Good arguments on both sides. But if the D gives up an average in the mid 400s again, I am pretty sure a change will be made in December even though the schedule looks like it was built assuming UConn would be more competitive by now.

Reaction Score
I know he goes back a ways with Mora and the kids seem to like him. His resume is very nice. But he has yet to field a competitive defense. His defenses are best described as vanilla. Player development has not been a strength.

So, IMHO, he deserves to be on the hot seat -or at the very least- on very short lease. He has shown zero creativity with the Huskies. His blitzes almost never get home. The defense rarely moves pre-snap. The corners often give large cushions even on third down. I once saw him line up two defensive players against three eligible wide outs.

Yes, I know I am being harsh. But the guy has done nothing to show he deserves the job. He inherited a terrible defense, true. But he has done nothing to improve it. It remains one of the worst in college football. He needs to show early.
You’re being awfully harsh for someone that hasn’t coached a single game for this new staff. Maybe you can find something he did wrong in middle school, then you’ll really have nailed.

Reaction Score
He was kept around because mora’s plan a, b and c fell through not because of continuity.
That’s exactly what it looked like. Offensive Coordinator hired pretty quickly then silence on defense and the Spanos came back. I think it is very doubtful he is back after next season.

Reaction Score
That’s exactly what it looked like. Offensive Coordinator hired pretty quickly then silence on defense and the Spanos came back. I think it is very doubtful he is back after next season.
I also think this is the way it went down. However, I hope that the D shows such notable improvement and he is asked back. That would mean it was a Randy problem instead of a Lou problem.

Reaction Score
His defense gave up 460 yards a game in 2019.

It improved to 450 yards per game in 2021.

How big of a sample size do you need?
In 2019, he was under Edsall who had a habit of altering any strategy our coodinators came up with....so not a good sample to use. Last year he was acting head coach for most of the season, not defensive coordinator, (where he was still under Edsall).
So lets see how he does under a very competent and secure head coach before we pass judgement on a guy that many think made the initial contact with Jim Mora, that eventually brought our new HC to UConn!

Reaction Score
Slow day at the office?

The staff has just made it out of their first spring and we’re going to debate which of them is on the hot seat?

If we don’t put up 50 vs Utah state, let’s fire charlton Head bangHead bang
In preparation for standard 3rd Grade BY operating procedure, please reserve the bastardized name of “Charlatan” for Charlton. I’ll predict it’s used by game 5.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The answer is NO. New coaches at every position changes the story. How do we know Spanos isn't great and it was all the positional coaches that couldn't get it done? I'm not saying I believe that, judy making an arguement. Maybe Randy put the reins on him. We don't know, and I think he deserves a clean slate.
Id love to hear more of what Judy has to say about the subject

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Id love to hear more of what Judy has to say about the subject
Judy is always making an argument. It's what she was put on this Earth for. Judy Judy Judy!
By the time I noticed my pitiful typing the Edit button was gone. Oh well, won't be the last time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Judy is always making an argument. It's what she was put on this Earth for. Judy Judy Judy!
By the time I noticed my pitiful typing the Edit button was gone. Oh well, won't be the last time.
Judy is the new Karen.

Reaction Score
In amongst our shortcomings on D last season there were periods of success on D. The Wyoming game stood out. We ranked low on the scale but there were plenty of FBS teams that gave up big point totals. You have to keep scoring to have a winning record. This is our biggest issue. I think our D-line is Spanos's biggest issue. If he can get them to be solid we have plenty of experienced returning players plus new additions in the next 2 levels to be a decent defense.

Reaction Score
In amongst our shortcomings on D last season there were periods of success on D. The Wyoming game stood out. We ranked low on the scale but there were plenty of FBS teams that gave up big point totals. You have to keep scoring to have a winning record. This is our biggest issue. I think our D-line is Spanos's biggest issue. If he can get them to be solid we have plenty of experienced returning players plus new additions in the next 2 levels to be a decent defense.
Here is the thing. The D line was anchored with the No. 3 DT drafted in NFL. That should be a clue where the problem might sit. I’ll give you Spanos took over as interim, so it can’t be all in him.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say hot seat right away but if the points given up per game don’t improve or something like a vandy situation happens where even with special team penalties the D gives up big plays to lose the game he’ll have a serious meeting and going in to the 23 season he’ll be on the the hot seat

Reaction Score
Here is the thing. The D line was anchored with the No. 3 DT drafted in NFL. That should be a clue where the problem might sit. I’ll give you Spanos took over as interim, so it can’t be all in him.
I meant for this year as Travis is gone. And Ugak. The D line is a major question mark at this point.

Reaction Score
I meant for this year as Travis is gone. And Ugak. The D line is a major question mark at this point.
Both lines are. And we won't have a clue until halftime of the Utah State game. If things are really bad, maybe a bit before.

If the UTS QB has all the time in the world to throw we will know pretty quick. And goodness, if they try running on UConn and are able to, it might get ugly.

Reaction Score
Both lines are. And we won't have a clue until halftime of the Utah State game. If things are really bad, maybe a bit before.

If the UTS QB has all the time in the world to throw we will know pretty quick. And goodness, if they try running on UConn and are able to, it might get ugly.
Kevon Jones showed he can make plays last here and I think he steps up big time this year to fill in for Travis. Throw in Mitchell and the transfers at LB and I think we have a pretty good front 7 for the defense to stop the run. The secondary wasn't that bad last year. I think this year we have solid depth at DB to actually make plays all game back there. I don't expect us to go from being one of the worst defenses to a top 10, but I do expect us to look a lot better.

Reaction Score
Kevon Jones showed he can make plays last here and I think he steps up big time this year to fill in for Travis. Throw in Mitchell and the transfers at LB and I think we have a pretty good front 7 for the defense to stop the run. The secondary wasn't that bad last year. I think this year we have solid depth at DB to actually make plays all game back there. I don't expect us to go from being one of the worst defenses to a top 10, but I do expect us to look a lot better.
Agree. If they stop letting up the big plays and can get ppg down and there are realistic improvements he’ll be ok.

Reaction Score
Agree. If they stop letting up the big plays and can get ppg down and there are realistic improvements he’ll be ok.
I think a huge part of the problem on the defense was the offense. When the defense was fresh they were making plays but being on the field twice as long as offense, they got gassed quickly which led to poor tackling and big plays. Our best defense this year will be not going 3 and out 9 out of 10 drives.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know he goes back a ways with Mora and the kids seem to like him. His resume is very nice. But he has yet to field a competitive defense. His defenses are best described as vanilla. Player development has not been a strength.

So, IMHO, he deserves to be on the hot seat -or at the very least- on very short lease. He has shown zero creativity with the Huskies. His blitzes almost never get home. The defense rarely moves pre-snap. The corners often give large cushions even on third down. I once saw him line up two defensive players against three eligible wide outs.

Yes, I know I am being harsh. But the guy has done nothing to show he deserves the job. He inherited a terrible defense, true. But he has done nothing to improve it. It remains one of the worst in college football. He needs to show early.

Honestly, I think he’s gone if he doesn’t produce in June.

If he doesn’t, I can see us making a change before the July 4th long weekend.

Reaction Score
I do think they were on the field for too many possessions. Don’t know if they were gased or just got figured out. Anyway saw things last year that have me encouraged. Like against CLemson, I think they held them to 4 4th downs in a row. Each was converted, but they gave up small chunks. I was conditioned to think something bad was going to happen When the 3rd down music was played at the rent. Hated to hear it, but last year, more stops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom