Is Spanos on the hot seat? | The Boneyard

Is Spanos on the hot seat?

Reaction Score
I know he goes back a ways with Mora and the kids seem to like him. His resume is very nice. But he has yet to field a competitive defense. His defenses are best described as vanilla. Player development has not been a strength.

So, IMHO, he deserves to be on the hot seat -or at the very least- on very short lease. He has shown zero creativity with the Huskies. His blitzes almost never get home. The defense rarely moves pre-snap. The corners often give large cushions even on third down. I once saw him line up two defensive players against three eligible wide outs.

Yes, I know I am being harsh. But the guy has done nothing to show he deserves the job. He inherited a terrible defense, true. But he has done nothing to improve it. It remains one of the worst in college football. He needs to show early.

Reaction Score
I know he goes back a ways with Mora and the kids seem to like him. His resume is very nice. But he has yet to field a competitive defense. His defenses are best described as vanilla. Player development has not been a strength.

So, IMHO, he deserves to be on the hot seat -or at the very least- on very short lease. He has shown zero creativity with the Huskies. His blitzes almost never get home. The defense rarely moves pre-snap. The corners often give large cushions even on third down. I once saw him line up two defensive players against three eligible wide outs.

Yes, I know I am being harsh. But the guy has done nothing to show he deserves the job. He inherited a terrible defense, true. But he has done nothing to improve it. It remains one of the worst in college football. He needs to show early.
I disagree on some level. The defense was exhausted due to offensive ineptitude. In the games where we played somewhat competent offense (Mazzone games), the defense wasn't terrible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disagree on some level.
I disagree on all levels. Spanos isn't coaching the D in a vacuum. If the D is disappointing, a good share of the blame would fall on the head coach. To make it all fall on the DC after one season would be a CYA hack move I can't see Mora making.

Reaction Score
I disagree on all levels. Spanos isn't coaching the D in a vacuum. If the D is disappointing, a good share of the blame would fall on the head coach. To make it all fall on the DC after one season would be a CYA hack move I can't see Mora making.
I didn’t mean he should be on the hot seat. I was disagreeing “on some level” that his D sucked. It showed flashes when the offense was giving it some time to rest.

Reaction Score

The guy held the ship together! Give him a chance to show what he can do without Edsall‘s micro management. We have some much to look forward to with this new staff.
At least give him a season before you start this stuff

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn’t mean he should be on the hot seat. I was disagreeing “on some level” that his D sucked. It showed flashes when the offense was giving it some time to rest.
FWIW, I was building off your comment not taking issue. You disagreed with Pal on some level, I disagreed on all levels.

Reaction Score
No he's not on the hot seat. He was fired at the end of last season and rehired by Mora with a completely different staff. The team played hard for him all of last year even when getting blown out and let's be honest here edsall is a micromanager and probably really forced Spanos's hand the majority of the time. His defenses can only do so much when 75% of the offensive drives end in a 3 and out and the players are gassed. Spanos is safe if you ask me.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I was building off your comment not taking issue. You disagreed with Pal on some level, I disagreed on all levels.
I see it now. I had a handful of Lagunitas bottles as part of a long, late lunch.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. Perhaps a little premature. The lack of pre snap movement kind of resonates. But he'll be at UConn for the whole season and then he can be evaluated in December. The summer hasn't even started.

Reaction Score
His defense gave up 460 yards a game in 2019.

It improved to 450 yards per game in 2021.

How big of a sample size do you need?
He’s a good motivator, but I don’t see much beyond that. Mora keeping him around for continuity and because players like him has its own logic, but the horrendous performance marked by terrible tackling, bad angles and missed assignments ought to inform.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The answer is NO. New coaches at every position changes the story. How do we know Spanos isn't great and it was all the positional coaches that couldn't get it done? I'm not saying I believe that, judy making an arguement. Maybe Randy put the reins on him. We don't know, and I think he deserves a clean slate.

Reaction Score
He’s a good motivator, but I don’t see much beyond that. Mora keeping him around for continuity and because players like him has its own logic, but the horrendous performance marked by terrible tackling, bad angles and missed assignments ought to inform.
He was kept around because mora’s plan a, b and c fell through not because of continuity.

Reaction Score
He was kept around because mora’s plan a, b and c fell through not because of continuity.
Maybe he sees something we all don’t. Time will tell, but time has been unkind to us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom