Is Sanogo the player we miss the most? | The Boneyard

Is Sanogo the player we miss the most?

Reaction Score
I personally think the answer is yes, but interested in what the Boneyard thinks. My thoughts kinda lead me to believe Adama was the key to success offensively last season. His presence in the four out scheme opened up so much for our perimeter shooting. Defenses were stuck with basically two options: 1) double Adama and leave someone on the perimeter free, often for a good look at a three or a cut to the basket as a defender loses his man focused on doubling 2) play Sanogo straight up and deal with a 60% shooter down low scoring at will or getting key players in foul trouble. I think it opened up the offense considerably, though what do I know. And in no way to disparage Clingan, who I presume will be incredable next year, but will he offensively require defenses to account for his offense to the same degree? I’m not convinced. While Donovan has good feet and great footwork for a guy his size, he doesn’t have Adama footwork. Also his touch around the rim can be pretty heavy at times. Will he get better? I assume so. And I believe he’ll be a force on assisted lobs in a big way. But will he be that guy who you dump it down into and have defenses focus enough to create the same kinds of problems keeping others from getting in the same great scoring positions? That’s what I’m unsure of. Donovan’s offensive growth will probably be a key component of success for the Huskies. it’s gonna be really hard and probably impossible to replace Sanogo, but if Clingan can merit the same level of defensive attention, others will once again have just that little extra space or get a step on their man creating better offense. We’ll see I guess. Either way, looks like we’ll have a very good squad and I already can’t wait. What say you?

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing. Sanogo was basically unstoppable with his skills and footwork; I can't think of any other team with someone like him. Did he ever get a shot blocked? I can't remember this happening, he was so good at pivoting around his defender or getting his shot off quickly. He was always able to score- getting his 15-20 points dependably every game was hugely important. His defense was good too, his rebounding- everything.

Reaction Score
Good points on AS. But I'm going with Andre Jackson. I have never seen a player do so much in so many different ways for a Huskie team as he'd almost literally would fly around the court. Even after a whistle, he became a coach on the floor, making corrections with his teammates. AJ may go down as my favorite ever. And I go back aways pre any championships.... We'll have other centers, PGs, and 3 point shooters. I can't see us finding another player that would bring all that AJax brought to the court for us.

Reaction Score
I think we will miss all of those guys because that championship run was so awesome. Sanogo probably the most because he was such a warrior and so reliable. He had a phenomenal career at uconn.

Reaction Score
No, Clingan is a more than capable replacement even if it ends up being less production from the 5 spot. Nobody can replace what Hawkins did with his shooting off screens. Getting Spencer will help with that, but there's very few players who can do what Hawkins can, and they're almost all playing in the NBA

Reaction Score
Good points on AS. But I'm going with Andre Jackson. I have never seen a player do so much in so many different ways for a Husky team as he'd almost literally would fly around the court. Even after a whistle, he became a coach on the floor, making corrections with his teammates. AJ may go down as my favorite ever. And I go back aways pre any championships.... We'll have other centers, PGs, and 3 point shooters. I can't see us finding another player that would bring all that AJax brought to the court for us.
I love Jackson and he's also one of my favorites but it feels like the board has overrated him some after the championship. He is a leader, a great connector and a do all the little things player. His energy and athletic plays were remarkable at times but the talk has become a bit over the top. People are posting like he's one of the best players we've ever had.

He was able to be a roamer, we were able to highlight his great qualities and his offensive deficiencies were able to be masked because of how good some of our other guys were.

Reaction Score
In my view, we lost not only our three best players but a once-in-a-generation player (Hawkins) and two once-in-a-lifetime players (Sanogo and Jackson.)

I say "once in a generation player" for Hawkins because we did have Rip and Ray some 25-30 years ago, but we've never previously had a Jackson or a Sanogo.

I say this as one who has followed UConn basketball with my own personal eyeballs since 1953-54. We've had great centers in the past -- Quimby, Kimball, Corny Thompson, Cliff Robinson, Okafor. But none had the offensive skills of Sanogo, not remotely. And we've never had an all-around rebounder/defender/facilitator like Jackson. Not even the great Tony Hanson.

I personally think the biggest loss will be Jackson, because there is no one on the new roster to even partially fill the role. Clingan will ease the loss of Sanogo somewhat.

It's a remarkable thing that these three were on the same team at the same time. Losing them at the same time will change the nature of this UConn team utterly. No UConn team has ever lost more from year to year.

Reaction Score
I personally think the answer is yes, but interested in what the Boneyard thinks. My thoughts kinda lead me to believe Adama was the key to success offensively last season. His presence in the four out scheme opened up so much for our perimeter shooting. Defenses were stuck with basically two options: 1) double Adama and leave someone on the perimeter free, often for a good look at a three or a cut to the basket as a defender loses his man focused on doubling 2) play Sanogo straight up and deal with a 60% shooter down low scoring at will or getting key players in foul trouble. I think it opened up the offense considerably, though what do I know. And in no way to disparage Clingan, who I presume will be incredable next year, but will he offensively require defenses to account for his offense to the same degree? I’m not convinced. While Donovan has good feet and great footwork for a guy his size, he doesn’t have Adama footwork. Also his touch around the rim can be pretty heavy at times. Will he get better? I assume so. And I believe he’ll be a force on assisted lobs in a big way. But will he be that guy who you dump it down into and have defenses focus enough to create the same kinds of problems keeping others from getting in the same great scoring positions? That’s what I’m unsure of. Donovan’s offensive growth will probably be a key component of success for the Huskies. it’s gonna be really hard and probably impossible to replace Sanogo, but if Clingan can merit the same level of defensive attention, others will once again have just that little extra space or get a step on their man creating better offense. We’ll see I guess. Either way, looks like we’ll have a very good squad and I already can’t wait. What say you?
Who we miss the most will depend on the performance of next years players
If we get 26 minute and 16-20 PPG from Clingan , Rim defense plus SJ or Someone else steps up to fill the incredible backup shoes than it won’t be Sanogo
If nobody steps up to fill Hawkins shoes as a shooter and Opponents can gimmick.defenses than it might be Hawkins
If defensive intensity dips and assists dip then it might be Jackson
If the freshman / transfers are as good as advertised or better than we will hardly miss anyone
Each season is filled with IF’s and to what degree they’re satisfied is the difference between success and failure
“ My gut tells me Jackson because of his intangibles. “
But this will be my 68th or 69th season as a fan , and there are always surprises.

Reaction Score
No, Clingan is a more than capable replacement even if it ends up being less production from the 5 spot. Nobody can replace what Hawkins did with his shooting off screens. Getting Spencer will help with that, but there's very few players who can do what Hawkins can, and they're almost all playing in the NBA
We won multiple games with Hawkins as a no show for an entire half. Definitely Sanogo for his inside presence, rebounding, and low post moves when we desperately needed a basket.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This team is missing an ace perimeter defender and athletic presence like Jackson. So that’s probably my choice. But how can you go wrong with the choices?

Reaction Score
Agree with Az ….depends who shows up next year.

But, I can see DC controlling the paint , even better than AS. he doesn’t have the footwork, but he doesn’t need it to be at Sanogos level…he’s a monster and doesn’t need to dance to find a shot. He’s got the size AS doesn’t.

Spencer has better shooting #s than JH…he won’t have the athleticism of Hawk but if DC is the passer we think, he’ll have more open 3s.

So, by default I’m saying we‘ll miss Jackson most

Reaction Score
I love Jackson and he's also one of my favorites but it feels like the board has overrated him some after the championship. He is a leader, a great connector and a do all the little things player. His energy and athletic plays were remarkable at times but the talk has become a bit over the top. People are posting like he's one of the best players we've ever had.

He was able to be a roamer, we were able to highlight his great qualities and his offensive deficiencies were able to be masked because of how good some of our other guys were.
Jacksons leadership will be missed. Not really sure who will be the guy to step into that role next season…maybe Tristen? After we won in 2011, we returned a good amount of talent and experience, but we clearly missed Kemba’s role as the leader, and I think that is the reason why that was a down year as that 2012 team had some chemistry isssues. Im not saying that is going to even remotely happen next season, but when you have a guy in the locker room who everyone looks up to, his presence on the team cannot be measured.

Reaction Score
Jacksons leadership will be missed. Not really sure who will be the guy to step into that role next season…maybe Tristen? After we won in 2011, we returned a good amount of talent and experience, but we clearly missed Kemba’s role as the leader, and I think that is the reason why that was a down year as that 2012 team had some chemistry isssues. Im not saying that is going to even remotely happen next season, but when you have a guy in the locker room who everyone looks up to, his presence on the team cannot be measured.
The leader & connector thing mentioned by SJ is why I’d prob pick Jackson. Mainly because how big our freshman class is. He IMO would have been a great role model

Reaction Score
Don’t know until we see who steps up. If I had to guess my answer would be either AJ or Hawk. While I think DC and AS are different players I’m comfortable with DC getting his minutes. The option to throw it to the rim more often on O will be nice although he probably won’t be the throw it to him guy like AS. On D as long as he’s in the game he will impact that end a bit more.

Reaction Score
1000%. He was basically an automatic double double. I strongly believe in Clingan but he has a lot to prove this season.

Reaction Score
I agree it is Sanogo. He was unstoppable. So difficult to defend on the college level. When you have a high percentage scorer who can move like that, it puts a great deal of pressure on the other team.

Reaction Score
I think it's starting to settle in to me exactly how special this team was. Our big 3 was arguably the best in the country at what they did. If not, they were still in the elite of the elite category. Sanogo being unstoppable 1v1. Hawkins sprinting around the court and then draining high volume 3s. Andre being the ultimate glue guy and floor general

Nobody on next year's roster, and not many people in the country, will be able to be a direct replacement for those guys. Clingan can't replace Sanogo, Cam Spencer can't replace Hawkins, and Castle can't replace Andre.

But Hurley will find those guys' best skills, and make a gameplan that maximizes their abilities.

Reaction Score
In my view, we lost not only our three best players but a once-in-a-generation player (Hawkins) and two once-in-a-lifetime players (Sanogo and Jackson.)

I say "once in a generation player" for Hawkins because we did have Rip and Ray some 25-30 years ago, but we've never previously had a Jackson or a Sanogo.

I say this as one who has followed UConn basketball with my own personal eyeballs since 1953-54. We've had great centers in the past -- Quimby, Kimball, Corny Thompson, Cliff Robinson, Okafor. But none had the offensive skills of Sanogo, not remotely. And we've never had an all-around rebounder/defender/facilitator like Jackson. Not even the great Tony Hanson.

I personally think the biggest loss will be Jackson, because there is no one on the new roster to even partially fill the role. Clingan will ease the loss of Sanogo somewhat.

It's a remarkable thing that these three were on the same team at the same time. Losing them at the same time will change the nature of this UConn team utterly. No UConn team has ever lost more from year to year.
I'd say losing the #2 and #3 in 2004 NBA draft was a lot.

Reaction Score
All Great players, all champions, all will be missed greatly. But we have a young and exciting team, They will establish their own identity and carve their own path. There will be growing pains and ups and downs. They will bring us both joy and frustration. And they should be pretty good too. As much as I enjoyed the Natty, I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

So can we let them play a few games before we start deciding who we miss most?

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" Dr. Seuss

Just my take.

Reaction Score
Agree with Az ….depends who shows up next year.

But, I can see DC controlling the paint , even better than AS. he doesn’t have the footwork, but he doesn’t need it to be at Sanogos level…he’s a monster and doesn’t need to dance to find a shot. He’s got the size AS doesn’t.

Spencer has better shooting #s than JH…he won’t have the athleticism of Hawk but if DC is the passer we think, he’ll have more open 3s.

So, by default I’m saying we‘ll miss Jackson most
Definitely sanago for me. Showed up every game. Will struggle to score at times this year, sanogo could always get a bucket and amazing almost never got the foul calls he rightfully deserved. Jackson was a pleasure to watch the back half of year but painful at times for 2.5 years. He was my favorite player of all time. I wish he stayed one more because his development was exponential and I believe would have set him up as first rounder and 10 plus year career. Hopefully he lands in the right spot and develops. Amazing kid and my all time favorite supplanting shabazz.

Praying sanogo finds his niche and suspect he will. Best footwork ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom