Is or will Stewie be viewed as dominating as Griner? | The Boneyard

Is or will Stewie be viewed as dominating as Griner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It seems that during the past 18 games, starting with last year's tournament, I am reading an increasing number of quotes from opposing coaches and statements from commentators about Stewart's "unstoppability".

I am curious what fellow Boneyarders feel about this question: When her career is done, will Stewart be viewed as dominating a force in WCBB as Griner was? I ask this question acknowledging that it is difficult to purely compare and contrast individual players in a team sport since opposing teams have to both defend and plan their offense against everything the opposing team has to offer - and in this instance, as good as Griner's teammates were, I think Stewart is blessed with playing on a better overall team.

We saw Griner develop skllls during her career at Baylor, and I think we are witnessing the same growth and improvements in Stewart. My belief is that come her senior year, Stewie is just going to be a wrecking ball as far as other teams are concerned and I think she'll be considered more dominating. What do you think?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But if Phoenix would have chosed EDD, wouldn't they have been in better shape?
Stewie reminds me a lot of EDD on the offensive end; but the comparisons end there.
Rebounding, shot blocking, running the floor etc; no contest.

Reaction Score
It's hard to make that comparison, considering they played totally different positions on the floor. Griner was a physically unique player who changed the way teams tried to run their offense. Stewart brings an unprecedented skill set, both in magnitude and versatility.

It would be like trying to compare Shaq to LeBron.

To keep the analogy going, I would say that if Stewart is LeBron (well-rounded, versatile, developing into a clutch/winning player), EDD is Carmelo Anthony (one-dimensional, doesn't give much on defense, minimal experience being a winner on the biggest stage).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I feel like the question is a non-sequitur. Griner had an effective perimeter of about 12 feet from the rim on a really good day. Stewie poses so many questions for the opposing team that Griner never posed. Griner's game never matured beyond her sophomore season. I like where Stewie is, but I think there is a lot more available if she wants it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
An interesting question - you have dominant players like DT and Maya and then a player like Griner - I she is unique in having the unprecedented height and athleticism combination. With Stewart you can think of other players like EDD and Lauren Jackson where Stewart is perhaps a 'progression'. So ... no. I think she will be seen more like DT and Maya as dominating player in WCBB but not as the Griner 'intimidator' kind of player. Personally, I take Maya and DT over Griner as I think they are better basketball players with unnatural will to win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
An interesting question - you have dominant players like DT and Maya and then a player like Griner - I she is unique in having the unprecedented height and athleticism combination. With Stewart you can think of other players like EDD and Lauren Jackson where Stewart is perhaps a 'progression'. So ... no. I think she will be seen more like DT and Maya as dominating player in WCBB but not as the Griner 'intimidator' kind of player. Personally, I take Maya and DT over Griner as I think they are better basketball players with unnatural will to win.

Agree on all of that. If you see anyone take Griner over Maya/DT, you will have found the dumbest human alive.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Stewie is a superstar right now. The thought of Geno making her better is scary. How many WNBA players are better then her right now?

T

TroyHouse66

I don't think "Stewie" can ever be considered in the same "dominating" or "intimidating" mold as Griner.

Not as long as she displays that sweet, lil' ol' smile on the court or ecstatically claps her hands coming down court from an amazing shot. She will need profession help, (no, not that kind of professional help),.. perhaps a good PR agent to release clandestine photos of her letting the air out of little kids basketballs or painting a 35 ft line for 4pt shots.
Needs to get rid of the "Stewie" moniker, too. Toot-Sweet, I'm afraid.
Something like "the Adirondack Assassin" or "the Gander Mtn Gremlin" or "Monster-of-the-North (Syracuse)" might work... or have the managers tape a "does not play well with other children" sign on her back.
The only mean-streak photo we have of her is messing up Geno's sacrosanct hairdo after the NC game... not much to build a reputation on.

Reaction Score
I don't think "Stewie" can ever be considered in the same "dominating" or "intimidating" mold as Griner.
Not as long as she displays that sweet, lil' ol' smile on the court or ecstatically claps her hands coming down court from an amazing shot.
Was actually thinking the same thing when I wrote my original post this morning distinguishing between dominating and intimidating. Griner always looked pissed at the world and ready to punch out an opponent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Was actually thinking the same thing when I wrote my original post this morning distinguishing between dominating and intimidating. Griner always looked pissed at the world and ready to punch out an opponent.

More than ready...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Don't sell EDD short just because she needed extra time to grow up. She is learning rebounding, defense, hustle, and toughness now, in the WNBA. Better late than never.

Even now, if by some improbable circumstance, UConn were 2 points down with 3 seconds remaining, and I could pass the ball to either Stewie or KML, KML would be my choice. If nothing else, she would be more likely to make the free throws if she got fouled.

Reaction Score
Stewie is unguardable in the sense that she get a shot off at anytime from anywhere on the floor. She is the most physically talented player to ever wear the UConn uniform. But she is far from dominating. She's been able to float around because players like Stef, Kaleena, and maybe Bria again this season are doing the work on a consistent basis to make the offense and defense function. For the most part they are the players that determine whether UConn wins or loses. How Stewart plays has just been determining the scoring margin to borrow a phrasing Geno has used before.

Reaction Score
Stewie is unguardable in the sense that she get a shot off at anytime from anywhere on the floor. She is the most physically talented player to ever wear the UConn uniform. But she is far from dominating. She's been able to float around because players like Stef, Kaleena, and maybe Bria again this season are doing the work on a consistent basis to make the offense and defense function. For the most part they are the players that determine whether UConn wins or loses. How Stewart plays has just been determining the scoring margin to borrow a phrasing Geno has used before.
I still say Taurasi is the best ever. At this point Moore was a better player than Stewart, too. Moore was just about to score her 1000th point at this point in her career crushing Abrosimova's record by a wide margin in that 40 point/10 3-pointer effort against Syracuse. Watch a Taurasi highlight video from her college years. Some of the plays she made were absolutely ridiculous and in my mind have to this day yet to be matched by anyone. Stewart still lacks focus from time to time and picks and chooses when she's gonna get up for a game or not. Stewart has great potential, but I can't put her in the Taurasi/Moore category just yet. Doing so would be disrespectful to what the aforementioned pair accomplished, never mind what Griner did in her time at Baylor.

Reaction Score
Griner did not intimidate Louisville. or Schoni Schimmel.

End of argument!
Oh come on, you can't judge her on one game. There are plenty of examples of Stewart being equally as ineffective.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I look forward to seeing what a full season in China does for BG's game. She stil l has SO MUCH upside and I am hoping that several months out of the cozy confines of the US help her mature and treat basketball as a career.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You can never judge a player by one game, as Griner should not be too heavily remembered for a final game of her senior year that was not spectacular, nor should DT be too heavily remembered for the final game of her freshman year, one that did not turn out anywhere near as well as Stewie's final game of her freshman year.

And you also cannot judge a player without the context of the team around them and the role they can and do play within them. Griner was intimidating, but in her junior and senior years she was on a very good team that allowed her to use her developing skills to the max without having them go to waste on a weak team because she had players like Sims that could also dominate parts of the court. And the Griner I saw could be a defensive killer out away from the basket and cause havoc at least 15 feet out. Similarly, Stewie can range out and block a lot of shots because she is on a defensive killer elite squad that makes opponents run the gauntlet. And with Stef collecting rebounds around the rim, Stewie can stake out areas midway out that her wingspan can dominate

They both made/make their teams great, but likewise teams magnify the two players' greatness in ways that EDD or Jackie Stiles way back never got to appreciate. On the other hand, the strength of the Griner's junior and senior teams and I'm expecting what will be those of Stewie's last two seasons (or for Tina's or Maya's) does not allow for the same kind of aura that DT had as the dominating force and the ball handler in her last two seasons.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I think Griner made teams completely alter their games on offense and defense in a way that Stewart doesn't, nor did Maya nor DT. For most teams playing Baylor, shots inside ten feet were taken off the table, and defensive game plans included automatic double (and in some cases triple teams any time Griner got the ball. That is something you can do with a player anchored in the post area and something you cannot do for a player like DT or Maya or Stewart. That doesn't mean that teams don't focus on stopping those players by playing ball denial or being physical, etc. it just is a different proposition.
As others have pointed out - it also helps to have good teammates and good coaching. I believe Griner lost her final college game because the coaching did not adjust to the game conditions and the team did not have a back-up plan on offense or defense to counter what an 'inferior' team came up with.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
And I think Griner made teams completely alter their games on offense and defense in a way that Stewart doesn't, nor did Maya nor DT. For most teams playing Baylor, shots inside ten feet were taken off the table, and defensive game plans included automatic double (and in some cases triple teams any time Griner got the ball. That is something you can do with a player anchored in the post area and something you cannot do for a player like DT or Maya or Stewart. That doesn't mean that teams don't focus on stopping those players by playing ball denial or being physical, etc. it just is a different proposition.
As others have pointed out - it also helps to have good teammates and good coaching. I believe Griner lost her final college game because the coaching did not adjust to the game conditions and the team did not have a back-up plan on offense or defense to counter what an 'inferior' team came up with.
I think you are right- with Griner in the paint on defense- the entire game plan was altered- end of story!

Reaction Score
I think it's difficult to compare dominance between a post player and a wing/forward/guard. Dominance of post player is determined by defense, rebounding and inside scoring all of which Griner excelled in college. She has the potential to be the most dominant post if she really commits herself to improve her skills. Players like Taurasi, Moore and Stewart dominate in different ways. I think in the college game, Stewart can be as dominant in her position as Griner was at hers. Griner was extremely consistent. May Stewart attain that consistency.

Reaction Score
Griner defensively in the paint. Stewie defensively everywhere else. Offensively is a tougher call in the paint. Stewie has better ball control can make almost any type of shot. Griner is unstoppable over the top but doesn't have very good ball control to get into the paint with the ball. I call it even in the paint offensively. Stewie is definitely better outside the paint. Overall to Stewie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom