Is Ollie Mike Davis | The Boneyard

Is Ollie Mike Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWS

Reaction Score
I hope not, but the parallels are eerily similar. Davis took Bobby Knight's recruits to the title game & it was all down hill from there

Reaction Score
As someone who had IU season tickets during the last 2 years Davis was at IU, that is just a cruel and horrible thing to even consider.

Reaction Score
Yeah... if Mike Davis had been dealing with the same restrictions as Kevin Ollie did in recruiting in his first two years, then maybe you would have a point.

PWS, you come across like everyone else - as if the APR ban AND the recruiting restrictions that came with it never happened. Wake up! Those restrictions are having a real effect on us right now. At least factor that into your thinking before publishing such ridiculous commentary...

We have one - ONE senior and ONE junior who play significant minutes for this team... and the junior missed most of last year. And we have no decent front court players above a sophomore.

Is that Ollie's recruiting... or the fact that he had his hands tied behind his back with all of the restrictions during that time. Look back, be honest and tell me what you find. Because I can see it for what it is. The APR ban had its desired longer term effect - to hurt us for a few years, and not just with the one year post season ban.

Reaction Score
This has to stop, questioning KO's coaching ability because as good as last year's result was, it's not like we had the showtime Lakers out there last year and the gauntlet was very tough. It.'s not like he has overwhelming talent to work with this year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Davis lost in the Final Four with Bobby Knight's players. Ollie won the Final Four with Calhoun's players. The analogy is bogus.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I hope not, but the parallels are eerily similar. Davis took Bobby Knight's recruits to the title game & it was all down hill from there

Someone has their thinking cap on...

The analogy is right on in my opinion until Ollie does the next decent thing. This is NOT all on the players.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This has to stop, questioning KO's coaching ability because as good as last year's result was, it's not like we had the showtime Lakers out there last year and the gauntlet was very tough. It.'s not like he has overwhelming talent to work with this year.

Be careful wearing those blue shades inside - might screw with your eyes.

Last years team had players that might not have needed Ollie to coach them up - this band of players does need some coaching up.

Reaction Score
LOL one mediocre season after a championship, and all of a sudden Ollie is the worst coach ever

Bonehead

Reaction Score
LOL one mediocre season after a championship, and all of a sudden Ollie is the worst coach ever

Its more than the mediocore season - its how its being coached.
It is NOT all on players - you want to say it is thats fine - and if that were the case than coaching wouldnt mean that much, now would it?

No one called him worst coach ever except you.

You think he is one of the top ten coaches in CBB lets just agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
Its more than the mediocore season - its how its being coached.
It is NOT all on players - you want to say it is thats fine - and if that were the case than coaching wouldnt mean that much, now would it?

No one called him worst coach ever except you.

You think he is one of the top ten coaches in CBB lets just agree to disagree.

where in my post did i say he shouldn't be blamed? He is being compared to mike davis. Your right it isnt on all the players. Stop putting words in my mouth. He still has a lot left to prove, the point of the post is to show the idiocy of people on here who want to throw him under the bus and oust him after one lousy season that isnt completely over.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
where in my post did i say he shouldn't be blamed? He is being compared to mike davis. Your right it isnt on all the players. Stop putting words in my mouth. He still has a lot left to prove, the point of the post is to show the idiocy of people on here who want to throw him under the bus and oust him after one lousy season that isnt completely over.

No one in the post said to oust him - stop putting words in peoples mouths...

You are correct he has a lot to prove and the comparison to Mike Davis I thought was spot on at this point. He has next year for sure and if he can coach some of these players up he will get my praise.

Reaction Score
No one in the post said to oust him - stop putting words in peoples mouths...

You are correct he has a lot to prove and the comparison to Mike Davis I thought was spot on at this point. He has next year for sure and if he can coach some of these players up he will get my praise.
The comparison to Mike Davis is so, so dumb.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The comparison to Mike Davis is so, so dumb.

To each their own - who would you compare him to?

Cant wait to hear!

Reaction Score
To each their own - who would you compare him to?

Cant wait to hear!
I don't know who I would compare him to. Why does he have to be compared to someone? I do know that Kevin Ollie put together great game plans in the NCAA tournament last year, really took teams out of what they were trying to do, and showed an ability to make in game adjustments that created advantages for our team. I also know that in 2002 Mike Davis basically just sat on the Indiana bench while his team went unconscious from 3 for a few games in a row and made the NCAA finals.

It's dumb to say, "hey, both those guys took over for legendary coaches and then they went far in the NCAA tournament, so I guess they're the same". The level of coaching shown in each of those tournaments was not close to similar.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah... if Mike Davis had been dealing with the same restrictions as Kevin Ollie did in recruiting in his first two years, then maybe you would have a point.

PWS, you come across like everyone else - as if the APR ban AND the recruiting restrictions that came with it never happened. Wake up! Those restrictions are having a real effect on us right now. At least factor that into your thinking before publishing such ridiculous commentary...

We have one - ONE senior and ONE junior who play significant minutes for this team... and the junior missed most of last year. And we have no decent front court players above a sophomore.

Is that Ollie's recruiting... or the fact that he had his hands tied behind his back with all of the restrictions during that time. Look back, be honest and tell me what you find. Because I can see it for what it is. The APR ban had its desired longer term effect - to hurt us for a few years, and not just with the one year post season ban.
This is probably the best 13th post, ever.

PWS

Reaction Score
This season is shaping up to be worse than any in Mike Davis' career. If it wasn't for Boatright's out of this world effort in the last 8 minutes to make it respectable, we were getting punked by the worst team in the AAC, not the Big Ten, the AAC - Think about that for a moment. Teams have bad years, I get that, but at some point, coaching has to step in. My original post did not say he was Mike Davis, just saying that if we have another couple of bad years in this crappy conference, then the comparison is applicable.

Reaction Score
My original post did not say he was Mike Davis, just saying that if we have another couple of bad years in this crappy conference, then the comparison is applicable.

Now you're backtracking. Your original post didn't say anything about 'another couple bad years'. Your original post said the 'parallels are eerily similar'. As in, right now. If you're going to flame, at least have the guts to stick with it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This season is shaping up to be worse than any in Mike Davis' career. If it wasn't for Boatright's out of this world effort in the last 8 minutes to make it respectable, we were getting punked by the worst team in the AAC, not the Big Ten, the AAC - Think about that for a moment. Teams have bad years, I get that, but at some point, coaching has to step in. My original post did not say he was Mike Davis, just saying that if we have another couple of bad years in this crappy conference, then the comparison is applicable.

I understand this is a forum for people to never say things they'd say in real life but the the last line stands out. Mike Davis did not win, Ollie did. Mike Davis's team prior to him taking over the team was not sanctioned in anyway shape or form, Ollie's was. So to imply that this suddenly means that there is a stronger potential than there was prior for "another couple of bad years" is purely just silly and you are just having a bad day during this snow storm.

Reaction Score
Two things I would like to add to my post earlier:

1. I was incorrect to say that we only have 1 senior or junior contributing serious minutes, as of course Omar Calhoun is a starter, and a junior. Unfortunately, Omar still looks like a shell of the young man we saw as a freshman. Seems to be mostly about confidence for him... an underrated aspect of sports played at this level. I hope he gets it back, for I for one really enjoyed watching his game when he was a freshman, even when he made mistakes.

2. This is the first time we have seen Coach Ollie face real adversity with his players, game plans and in-game coaching since he has been the head coach. Yes, the first year he faced adversity because of the post season ban, but he had help from Shabazz to keep it all together. Coach has been unable to reverse the negative momentum with this team to this point - but let us give the coach some time. Maybe it will not happen at all this year. If that be the case, I want to see how he handles it this off season, and takes what he learns and transforms the knowledge into being a better coach.

Remember, the best learning is almost always done from failure. I believe we should give him the benefit of the doubt for the following reasons:

- As much as we all love and revere Coach Calhoun (no one does more than me... he did the single greatest building and sustaining job in the history of men's college basketball; period, end of discussion), he left Ollie with a big, hot mess when he retired... and Ollie never, every complained about it. How many of us would have taken this job, with ZERO backing from the administration, a 9-month contract, and no hope of post season play in the one season you had to prove yourself? Not many of us. That should tell all of us what kind of person, man and coach Kevin Ollie is...

- He did a great job his first two years... and I agree with 7774 when he earlier mentioned the fact that Ollie and his staff absolutely outcoached every opponent in last year's tournament except for Phil Martelli... Including the likes of Jay Wright, Tom Izzo and Billy Donovan. Yeah, and that guy from Kentucky, too... although I think he is the easiest to outcoach during games.

- He bleeds UConn blue and white, and is incredibly loyal. We tend to take this for granted, but if he was a bit less of a loyal man he would have jumped at his chance to go to the NBA in the offseason. That would have caused a lot more turmoil than anyone wants to admit... and might have well tipped Jalen Adams to either Louisville or Kansas and Steve Enoch somewhere else, which would be a disaster, as the next few years will prove.

- He seems to be a man of integrity who has his coaching priorities in the right place. He is trying to be a molder of productive young men for their futures, and not just an exploiter of them.

So, have some patience, and let us see how this plays out over the next several years, and not just the last several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom