Is Ollie Mike Davis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Ollie Mike Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You guys KO definitely isn't here this year. His head is dealing with the divorce. That is obvious to anyone who wants to compare his coaching fire from last year to exactly none this year but to compare him to Mike Davis is going a little overboard. KO is having a tough year both personally and professionally. This is all new to him as he has no idea how to get through to these young guys. He will learn or else he will be fired. Give the guy at least a couple more years with his own recruits and see how he does. The recruiting so far hasn't been looking that great. I think Ollie needs to look outside the box at more Junior College players and Internationals. It is even harder to recruit good players to UCONN now that we are in the AAC even coming off a National Championship.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would say Matt Doherty is a more accurate comparison right now. But that's clearly going to change once we start winning again!

Reaction Score
Its more than the mediocore season - its how its being coached.
It is NOT all on players - you want to say it is thats fine - and if that were the case than coaching wouldnt mean that much, now would it?

No one called him worst coach ever except you.

You think he is one of the top ten coaches in CBB lets just agree to disagree.
It's amazing the blinders some people have. In life people have to deliver.

Last year's season was the equivalent of a sales guy blowing his number out of the water his first year with the company. He gets a raise and big things were expected in year two. This year, the sales guys numbers are down 50% and some people think that's ok.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

Last year's season was the equivalent of a sales guy blowing his number out of the water his first year with the company. He gets a raise and big things were expected in year two. This year, the sales guys numbers are down 50% and some people think that's ok.

spoken like a spoiled child...

didn't Mike Davis take both UAB and Texas Southern to NCAAs after leaving Indiana?

Reaction Score

I know, right? Inexcusable for him to lose those Napier, Giffey, Daniels and Kromah accounts.

Reaction Score

This analogy is amazingly terrible. Somehow even more terrible than your normal thoughts.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I know, right? Inexcusable for him to lose those Napier, Giffey, Daniels and Kromah accounts.

He shouldnt have spoken so much about a ferarri...could have used falcon or fiesta - but he choose ferarri.
The mechanic of that car, coach Ollie, doesnt have it tuned right...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He shouldnt have spoken so much about a ferarri...could have used falcon or fiesta - but he choose ferarri.
In my opinion that's besides the point - the point is that this team is overwhelmed in games and sooner or later people will look to the coaching staff for answers. Its happening sooner, and the same answer we get is, "Yeah the chemistry if off."

For me, I don't like that answer.

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me how many fans actually took that comment as gospel. Do you also think Connecticut players are literally not allowed to use an escalator when one is available?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm sure you were one of the ones screaming that Calhoun was washed up in 2006-2007. That team didn't even make the NIT, and two years later were a top-5 team all season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Proof that Diaco is the university's go-to car salesman. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
7774 said:
It's amazing to me how many fans actually took that comment as gospel. Do you also think Connecticut players are literally not allowed to use an escalator when one is available?

Wait, do they really use escalators this year? Maybe that's the problem. I hope you're just joking.

caw

Reaction Score
To each their own - who would you compare him to?

Cant wait to hear!

I could see the Tubby comparisons but Mike Davis, not so much. Tubby is/was actually a decent coach (even bat crazy UK fans gave him time after he won it all), Davis was not. If you watched Ollie coach last year you would recognize he is a very good coach. If Ollie has an issue its with recruiting, not necessarily with getting talent but with getting good fits.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

I am assuming you are 'young'?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Good coach, too many guys coming up small. It's also a poorly constructed team.

Reaction Score
Good coach, too many guys coming up small. It's also a poorly constructed team.
Well, who are the guys we view as coming up too small though? We have to remember Nolan, Brimah and Samuel weren't highly ranked guys in high school. The fact that we depend on them heavily doesn't change the fact that they were guys we added after whiffing on many of our top targets. Also, I have my doubts on whether Louisville was really that interested in Cassell. I think he's another mediocre talent the staff was hoping could be more than he is.

The current team's problems in my opinion have mostly to do with talent and that's on KO and the staff. Until we start getting a few of these guys who keep getting away we may continue to see more of the same.

Reaction Score
People talk about last year as if it was Ollie's only season as head coach. It wasn't. He was exceptional during UConn's post-season ban season. The team was a bit under-talented and should have been under-motivated, but they still won 20 games, beat Cuse, and would have been a tourney squad but for the ban. So this is one bad year out of three. It could well be an anomaly--only time will tell.

Patience, grasshoppers. A national title entitles Ollie to at least that, especially during a difficult year for him personally.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
FlaHusky said:
Well, who are the guys we view as coming up too small though? We have to remember Nolan, Brimah and Samuel weren't highly ranked guys in high school. The fact that we depend on them heavily doesn't change the fact that they were guys we added after whiffing on many of our top targets. Also, I have my doubts on whether Louisville was really that interested in Cassell. I think he's another mediocre talent the staff was hoping could be more than he is.

The current team's problems in my opinion have mostly to do with talent and that's on KO and the staff. Until we start getting a few of these guys who keep getting away we may continue to see more of the same.

I'm confused, is it still too negative to name names? But since you asked, AB for one, OC for another if he's healthy, and RP. It's still a poor constructed team because RP, RB, and OC are all 2 guards masquerading as combo or lead guards. Only RB pulls it off well enough.

Anytime a 7 footer avg less than 10 reb/game he is coming up small.

I expected more from Phil on the defensive/rebounding end to be honest.

TSam is fine for what he is, but this team needs more. SC is bench scorer, only counted on for a few minutes a game.

Which brings us to DH. He frustrates me only because we are asking too much from him as a frosh when he is clearly not ready to go 35 minutes every night. Past freshman recruits of his caliber were 6th or 7th man. We can't afford that, so we have to live with his current limitations. But, under past practice he'd be on the bench for all but 20 min a game.

Reaction Score
I'm confused, is it still too negative to name names? But since you asked, AB for one, OC for another if he's healthy, and RP. It's still a poor constructed team because RP, RB, and OC are all 2 guards masquerading as combo or lead guards. Only RB pulls it off well enough.

Anytime a 7 footer avg less than 10 reb/game he is coming up small.

I expected more from Phil on the defensive/rebounding end to be honest.

TSam is fine for what he is, but this team needs more. SC is bench scorer, only counted on for a few minutes a game.

Which brings us to DH. He frustrates me only because we are asking too much from him as a frosh when he is clearly not ready to go 35 minutes every night. Past freshman recruits of his caliber were 6th or 7th man. We can't afford that, so we have to live with his current limitations. But, under past practice he'd be on the bench for all but 20 min a game.
Ok, thanks for the list. My point is, when they were recruited, Phil and AB were not guys people should have really expected much from but since we didn't get many of the others bigs we recruited, they became critical players. AB should have had the luxury of playing behind a more polished C while he continues to evolve.

I disagree on Cassell. I think along with Purvis, the staff and many of us expected significant minutes and a big contribution from him. Good point on DHam, he's having to play a lot more minutes due to poor performance from other guys.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I've said before on this board that my biggest fear for KO is that he is mike Davis, but Indianas run to the championship game was much easier than ours and they got their doors blown off in the final. Davis never had to face what KO is up against though.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
FlaHusky said:
Ok, thanks for the list. My point is, when they were recruited, Phil and AB were not guys people should have really expected much from but since we didn't get many of the others bigs we recruited, they became critical players. AB should have had the luxury of playing behind a more polished C while he continues to evolve.

I disagree on Cassell. I think along with Purvis, the staff and many of us expected significant minutes and a big contribution from him. Good point on DHam, he's having to play a lot more minutes due to poor performance from other guys.

AB was touted as a defensive monster and until recently were , incorrectly, talking NBA Draft this season. As for Phil, he's been in the program long enough to expect someone of his size to rebound since scoring isn't happening for him.

It's a bit silly to expect a juco guy to start at this level. RP should be a 12/6/2 guy but he isn't that every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom