Is Marquette a UConn rival? | The Boneyard

Is Marquette a UConn rival?

Reaction Score
I don’t think many people in either fanbase would say so, but this season should have 2 (hopefully 3) really good matchups between us.

The conference champions vs the national champions fighting to run it back. It’s smart for media people to hype it up. Creighton will be right in the mix too

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you look at the list, it's either teams who are in the same conference, or teams in the same state (Kansas, K-state, Indiana-Purdue). But UCONN - Marquette? I mean 2 of the best teams in the conference, but a true rivalry? Meh... Where's the history between our 2 programs? The fan animosity? The meaningful games (sure there have been some, but not numerous years' worth...)?

Even tho we don't play Syracuse, is there another program that has as much animosity between fan bases as those 2? From a proximity standpoint, PeeCee is probably a more "natural" rival - and the fan bases have no love for each other.

I generally root for most all of the BE teams when they play OOC or in the NCAA's, but I can't see myself ever rooting for Providence (or Syracuse for that matter)...

Reaction Score
No, and I can't see how.

I'd say UConn vs. St. John's is the rivalry now that Pitino is there, he rekindles some of that '90s era hate.

Other rivals: Villanova, PC, both of which really don't compare to our lost rivalries with Pitt especially but also Syracuse.

Reaction Score
If you look at the list, it's either teams who are in the same conference, or teams in the same state (Kansas, K-state, Indiana-Purdue). But UCONN - Marquette? I mean 2 of the best teams in the conference, but a true rivalry? Meh... Where's the history between our 2 programs? The fan animosity? The meaningful games (sure there have been some, but not numerous years' worth...)?

Even tho we don't play Syracuse, is there another program that has as much animosity between fan bases as those 2? From a proximity standpoint, PeeCee is probably a more "natural" rival - and the fan bases have no love for each other.

I generally root for most all of the BE teams when they play OOC or in the NCAA's, but I can't see myself ever rooting for Providence (or Syracuse for that matter)...
Before 2011, I would say UConn had a bigger rivarly with Pitt than it did Syracuse, though Cuse was a big one. St. John's in the 1990s.

Reaction Score
No, and I can't see how.

I'd say UConn vs. St. John's is the rivalry now that Pitino is there, he rekindles some of that '90s era hate.

Other rivals: Villanova, PC, both of which really don't compare to our lost rivalries with Pitt especially but also Syracuse.
Pitinos an old man. He wont be there more than 3 years.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget about Creighton. Finally got off the schnei - but they still play us tough. And as good as Pitino is, he doesn't have the horses at SJ to compete - at least not his first year.

Reaction Score
Pitinos an old man. He wont be there more than 3 years.
It's the fanbases. They hate each other. But there's no rivalry when St. John's keeps losing. I expect they'll be one of the best 4 teams in the conference

Reaction Score
It's not a rivalry in the traditional sense, it's more of a feud or short term rivalry like in pro wrestling. I wouldn't consider them one of our all time rivals, but for this season I definitely think they are a rival because it's a great storyline. We are both bringing back teams with national title hopes and Marquette are the double BE champs while we're the national champs. Going to be some great battles this season!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It's not a rivalry in the traditional sense, it's more of a feud or short term rivalry like in pro wrestling. I wouldn't consider them one of our all time rivals, but for this season I definitely think they are a rival because it's a great storyline. We are both bringing back teams with national title hopes and Marquette are the double BE champs while we're the national champs. Going to be some great battles this season!
It’s that simple. You get it.

Orc

Reaction Score
Andy Katz thinks so

Can we beg Syracuse to be our rival ? They dont seem to acknowledge that we are. I guess theyre too good to be our rival lol

Reaction Score
1. Villanova is for us because they were number 1 our spit in the Old Big East conference for years and it’s a role we aspire to.
2. Providence because we’re so close geographically. and Friar.?It seems they. Play their best against us .
3 Georgetown if they comeback under Cooley because that was the Battle for Old Big East
4. St Johns if they come back
Under Pitino
5 Xavier , Marquette, Creighton tough. games but not enough history junior

Reaction Score
1. It seems like he should have used the term matchup instead of rivalry, since he's specifically talking about the 23/24 season, and he's basically just listing matchups between teams that all project to be real good this year.

2. Whatever the list is supposed to represent, it's criminal Providence/Georgetown isn't on it. If it's truly the 23/24 season, that should be #1.

Reaction Score
Nope, certainly not right now, but depending how the games play out over the next few years, maybe!

But who is our "rival" right now, PC?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't hate Marquette or their fans nearly enough to consider them a rival. More like loyal opposition.

Reaction Score
Having good matchups doesn't make you a rival. Those may be the best games in the Big East this year but that doesn't make them rivalry games and thats ok.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Can we beg Syracuse to be our rival ? They dont seem to acknowledge that we are. I guess theyre too good to be our rival lol
Who's this "we" and "our" crap, sleazy sock puppet?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom