Is Kim Mulkey a candidate for LSU MBB? | The Boneyard

Is Kim Mulkey a candidate for LSU MBB?

Reaction Score
It's fun to play "What if?", isn't it?!

What's the highest level MBB team to have a female coach? Teresa Phillips coached one game for Tennessee State (after a brawl got the coach and most of the team suspended. Tyler Phommachanh was the AD at the time.) Maine has a female assistant coach - the fourth in DI history. I don't know if DII, DIII, or NAIA has ever seen a woman coaching MBB.

So, who is your choice for, "Woman best equipped to succeed as a MBB coach"?

Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't know the LSU MBB team was looking for a head coach

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It's fun to play "What if?", isn't it?!

What's the highest level MBB team to have a female coach? Teresa Phillips coached one game for Tennessee State (after a brawl got the coach and most of the team suspended. Tyler Phommachanh was the AD at the time.) Maine has a female assistant coach - the fourth in DI history. I don't know if DII, DIII, or NAIA has ever seen a woman coaching MBB.

So, who is your choice for, "Woman best equipped to succeed as a MBB coach"?

I think Dawn Staley could do well with a men's program, which I feel is interesting for me to say because I don't like her coaching style at all.

I will say, however, she has a way of connecting with her players while still maintaining that important coach to player line. She also knows that the fundamentals are important (and, herself, really knows the fundamentals), but does give her players some leash to do some showboating that's a big part of the draw of men's basketball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw speculation about Becky Hammon being a candidate for the newly open Cal men's head coach position.

I have no doubt many female coaches having the coaching chops to be a men's D1 HC. I have a serious question about recruiting though. I have to think that would be a big turnoff to many recruits and would be a major obstacle to overcome. Recruiting is a huge part of college hoops.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, she has experience with 6' 7" players ;)

Reaction Score
Another one of those "twinkle in the eye" statements.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't know the LSU MBB team was looking for a head coach

They are, because their current coach Will Wade is suspended indefinitely, and could even be going to jail due to the FBI investigation. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom