Is Kia Nurse not one of the best freshmen in the nation? | The Boneyard

Is Kia Nurse not one of the best freshmen in the nation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just love this kid and her game. I know Mitchell for OSU is averaging over 26 PPG and I'm sure others have more PPG than Nurse, but I can't think of very many freshmen, if any, who have had the kind of impact she has, especially on a team as talent rich as UCONN.

I remember all the hoopla over her ranking coming out of HS. Very hard to rate a kid who does not play in the USA but several of us thought she was at least a top 10 kid, and likely a top 5 kid. She may be even better than that. And I think this freshman class is LOADED with top level talent.

Reaction Score
Mitchell's stat is an anomaly. They don't really have much else right now so she has to carry the load and taking most of the shots. If she was on the UConn team, she may not even see 10 min per game :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Mitchell play, but OSU is nowhere near the type of team that UConn is and she takes a ton of their shots. The fact that Nurse has made such an impact on a national title contending team is much more impressive (to me).

And honestly, those awards don't mean much. Williams got freshman of the year over KML and look who has two national championships...

Reaction Score
Anyone who earnes their way into UConn's starting lineup is a very good player. Not sure A'ja would have done it.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing about Kia , besides the fact she earned the starting position, after the season started. Geno trusts her to run the team when Moriah is out of the game, and even though Moriah has struggled, Kia keeps the team on an even keel. The switch to Kia guarding Lloyd, after Moriah couldn't stop her, helped turn the game around. Lloyd didn't try to post Kia up, because she's a bigger guard. She's a lot like Bria, in that she's fearless about driving into the lane, but being bigger she seldom, gets stopped from scoring, she has that floater.

Reaction Score
If she can improve her FT shooting (15-28) I think she can easily win national awards as a freshman. Her game really reminds me of Hartley. She has all the skills to be one of the greats.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I wonder if A'Ja would be allowed to roll her shorts up at Uconn.
Ha. No. Or tuck her jersey into her bra.

We really are spoiled at UConn with how our team plays and comports themselves. :)

Reaction Score
I'm certain she will be as soon as she learns to make foul shots and lowers her turnovers. She's a smart kid, a driving fool, has a nice 3-pt stroke, is a very good defender, a pretty good rebounder and passer and backs doesn't back down from anything......... a definite frosh team AA contender. She's going to be fun to watch for four years.

HGN

Reaction Score
Anyone who earnes their way into UConn's starting lineup is a very good player. Not sure A'ja would have done it.
I think A'ja would have gotten plenty of minutes either as a sub or starter....She is too talented not to have. However , but that Nurse lady is where she needs to be. IMHO. In the starting lineup and making a major contribution. A top national freshman , on a top team. That in itself speaks volumes.

Reaction Score
Just love this kid and her game. I know Mitchell for OSU is averaging over 26 PPG and I'm sure others have more PPG than Nurse, but I can't think of very many freshmen, if any, who have had the kind of impact she has, especially on a team as talent rich as UCONN.

I remember all the hoopla over her ranking coming out of HS. Very hard to rate a kid who does not play in the USA but several of us thought she was at least a top 10 kid, and likely a top 5 kid. She may be even better than that. And I think this freshman class is LOADED with top level talent.

Reaction Score
No she is not not one of the best freshmen in the nation?

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Just love this kid and her game... I can't think of very many freshmen, if any, who have had the kind of impact she has, especially on a team as talent rich as UCONN.
...The fact that Nurse has made such an impact on a national title contending team is much more impressive...
...Geno trusts her to run the team when Moriah is out of the game,... a lot like Bria, in that she's fearless about driving into the lane...she seldom, gets stopped from scoring, she has that floater.
... Her game really reminds me of Hartley. She has all the skills to be one of the greats.
...that Nurse lady is where she needs to be. IMHO. In the starting lineup and making a major contribution. A top national freshman , on a top team...
nurse mounty.JPG

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The answer to the question posed in the title of this thread is "yes".

Now, logically speaking, does that mean I'm agreeing or disagreeing with you, Eric? :D

Reaction Score
Dawn lets them do that, and she has played at the highest level and seen things that other coaches haven't seen :cool:

(BTW didn't CD play at a pretty high level?)

Are you saying Dawn has seen things that Geno hasn't?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
top freshmen would clearly include Kia Nurse, but also Aja Wilson and Brianna Turner. Must be some others. Stanford's Kaylee Johnson had 22 rebounds in a game already this season but hasn't got to scoring the way some of the others have -- YET.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Staley's little speech about how special she is and all the rest are ordinary pretty much says it all about her. Angry, egomaniacal, chip on the shoulder loose mouth.

Now, where were we: Kia. She is what the doctor ordered for us and we need more of it. However, she would have to be something super to be in the running for end of season awards just because of the team she's on and the accolades expected for several more senior members of this team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Even if what she says is true (to potential recruits, no doubt) that doesn't mean she's a better coach. Thousands of people who have competed at the highest levels have never become good/great coaches. She's a long, long way from proving herself to be as good as "those other coaches". She now has the #1 recruit playing for her. Let's see if she becomes a 2 or 3x AA, like some of the #1's who went to UCONN. "It aint braggin' if you can do it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom