Is Kia Nurse A Steal? | The Boneyard

Is Kia Nurse A Steal?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice article about our Kia.

"After being selected 10th overall by the New York Liberty, many fans have already touted her the biggest steal of the 2018 Draft.

“It’s nice to be considered [a steal],” said Nurse. “For me, the draft was just an opportunity and any way I was able to play, I was excited for that chance. Fortunately for me, I’ve been surrounded by this kind of professionalism for a long time. I consider myself to be playing well and transitioning well so if I’m a steal, I’m a steal – I’ll take that.”

It's long as they set about educating WNBA fans about who Kia is.

Liberty's Nurse Living Out Her Dream - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Reaction Score
Feeling like a broken record here, but she fell into the perfect situation for with 3 vet guards out with injuries or illness. She was able to step up when given the opportunity. If the Sun would have drafted her, who knows how much we’d be hearing about her. The opportunity most likely wouldn’t have been there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Considering my post from June 4, I may need to sue the writer of the article for intellectual property theft. :cool:

With her surprising scoring, tenacious defense, ability to run the court and hard-nosed attitude, right now Kia looks like the steal of the WNBA draft for the Liberty with the 10th overall pick.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Feeling like a broken record here, but she fell into the perfect situation for with 3 vet guards out with injuries or illness. She was able to step up when given the opportunity. If the Sun would have drafted her, who knows how much we’d be hearing about her. The opportunity most likely wouldn’t have been there.

Agreed. Situation worked out well for her and she’s making the most of it. So far she’s proven a lot of people (including myself) wrong. The Liberty need Kia to maintain her play and get more contributions from others to be a winning team.

Reaction Score
Prince is probable for today’s game. Let’s see how quickly she gets back into things.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Situation worked out well for her and she’s making the most of it. So far she’s proven a lot of people (including myself) wrong. The Liberty need Kia to maintain her play and get more contributions from others to be a winning team.
She would be a great fit on Seattle, in place of Clark, good defender, and she is bigger, can hit shots which Clark has problems getting. Kia would be a better rebounder also, Clark plays almost 26 minutes gets about 3 rebounds per game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She would be a great fit on Seattle, in place of Clark, good defender, and she is bigger, can hit shots which Clark has problems getting. Kia would be a better rebounder also, Clark plays almost 26 minutes gets about 3 rebounds per game.

She’d probably do fine there as well, but she wouldn’t standout as much nor would she be averaging 15ppg.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
All this love for my favorite player on last years team is just overwhelming. There are a lot of rookies that given this same chance would have totally blown the opportunity. Kia's got the mind of a pro and the heart of a champion. I hear she has a little talent too. :mad:

Way to go Kia, a Husky forever. :)

Reaction Score
Kia plays 2 guard while Clark plays the 3
They r both great defenders and good around the basket

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Of course Kia is a steal. I'm still shaking my head that she went TENTH in the draft.

In addition to being an amazing player, she's a great spokeswoman and will likely be the face of her team in the not-too-distant future. I really wish they weren't playing in the rinky-dink arena in what qualifies as the boonies in greater New York.

Reaction Score
She’d probably do fine there as well, but she wouldn’t standout as much nor would she be averaging 15ppg.
No attack but she did not average 15ppg at UConn and still managed to standout. ;)

Of course Kia is a steal. I'm still shaking my head that she went TENTH in the draft.
In addition to being an amazing player, she's a great spokeswoman and will likely be the face of her team in the not-too-distant future. I really wish they weren't playing in the rinky-dink arena in what qualifies as the boonies in greater New York.

Have to agree Bigboote....Hard to believe those that supposedly follow the game under estimate her abilities proven throughout her career. Her going tenth had to be karma, she is a 10 in all facets of the game. Hard nosed player, teammate, leader with a passion for the game.
As for where they play, you are right the team and her 10,000 watt smile belong in Madison Square Garden.....
Kia Nurse - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
I wonder if Curt Miller with the CT Sun is thinking he should have taken Kia Nurse over Lexie Brown with that 1st round pick?
Kia has had a much bigger impact with the Liberty than Lexie has had with the Sun!
But circumstances may have been different to give the rookies their shot!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Kia, with Prince, Boyd, and Rodgers back in the mix she will likely see less playing time. She'll need to make the most of any opportunity she gets. I thought that in a few earlier games at least, the Liberty did a pretty good job of passing the ball around the perimeter and looking for the best shot a la UCONN. However, the shooters are back in the mix. more shots are being chucked up, and the chemistry isn't quite there. Katie Smith will have to figure out how to best utilize the talent she has to work with. In the meantime, Kia's defensive prowess may keep her in the games longer than some other players. On another note, those of us who have been big Kia fans over the years know that her talent. communication skills, personality, and intelligence make her a very marketable commodity. And being totally honest, the fact that she's attractive will certainly help as well. The season is young yet and Kia has had a few rough games. However, she is only a rookie. It will we interesting to see how she progresses under the tutelage of Katie Smith this year and if, in doing so, she will bring more fans to the game. I was happy for her when the Liberty drafted her, thinking she would be playing at MSG. Westchester just doesn't have the same lure and I suspect the Liberty won't be long for that venue.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kia landed where she has more than 1 Alumna to help her adapt to the WNBA.

I would have loved to have her play with Phoenix Mercury. Her and Diana together, can you say dynamic duo. I also, would have loved to see Gabby play with the Mercury. Yes, I am a Phoenix Mercury fan :).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Kia, with Prince, Boyd, and Rodgers back in the mix she will likely see less playing time. She'll need to make the most of any opportunity she gets. I thought that in a few earlier games at least, the Liberty did a pretty good job of passing the ball around the perimeter and looking for the best shot a la UCONN. However, the shooters are back in the mix. more shots are being chucked up, and the chemistry isn't quite there. Katie Smith will have to figure out how to best utilize the talent she has to work with. In the meantime, Kia's defensive prowess may keep her in the games longer than some other players. On another note, those of us who have been big Kia fans over the years know that her talent. communication skills, personality, and intelligence make her a very marketable commodity. And being totally honest, the fact that she's attractive will certainly help as well. The season is young yet and Kia has had a few rough games. However, she is only a rookie. It will we interesting to see how she progresses under the tutelage of Katie Smith this year and if, in doing so, she will bring more fans to the game. I was happy for her when the Liberty drafted her, thinking she would be playing at MSG. Westchester just doesn't have the same lure and I suspect the Liberty won't be long for that venue.
Tonight Kia got more minutes off the bench than any starter other than Tina for the 2nd straight game. The Liberty haven't played up to their talent level at all this year, though. Katie Smith has players - she better hurry up and figure it out or she'll be gone soon. (Oh yeah - I forgot. Dolan, Isaiah and the MSG bunch couldn't care less.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A look back at the 19 year old FIBA MVP. Seems there are a few make her own shots in there. So, could it be Kia?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kia talks the journey toward 2020. I'm sure many of us know what a rock start she is in Canada. I stumbled into it; I share.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So Darnell called me all upset and to get him off my back:

Notice the Penalty Minutes.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of an earlier thread on the Boneyard about which player, Nurse of Gabby will be more successful in the WNBA. It should be interesting to revisit that subject after the end of the season. That said any player who gets drafted at the end of the draft who as productive as Kia, is definitely a steal. But due to her late start, we probably should wait on Vedeeva, to find out who the steal of the draft will turn out to be.

Reaction Score
Only watched UConn occasionally so didn’t understand all the noise about Kia. Yes, she looks like a steal. I knew she was smart but she’s quicker than I thought. Let’s see if she wears well and can seperate from the culture of mediocrity among the other guards including Hartley.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom