Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA? | The Boneyard

Is Kemba the most important player to come through UCONN and go to the NBA?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Given the last 5 years, what he did in 2011 and what he's doing now can't be appreciated enough. He's killing it in the league. He is constantly trending on twitter and when he is, there are usually highlights from his iconic stepback attached.

Reaction Score
Came here to say Ray Ray too. Not only did he crush it, but imo he started the whole elite thing UConn had/has going on. Yeah, we had some before him, but I feel like he really put UConn on the map. Plus I love that dude, and I'm not ashamed to type that.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
As we have all learned lately, the future is not certain & as it stands The Candyman still holds that honor until over taken and not a moment before. I love Kemba and he may well become the one who exceeds Ray's accomplishments but he has a ways to go IMO not even including Olympic Gold. Kemba does have the great resume stuffer from the spring of 2011 which is just legendary.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Allen, being in the HOF, is clearly #1. Multi time NBA Champ and All star. If Kemba can lead the C's to a title, then he's a clear #2 and could challenge for #1.
You can also make a case for Cliff Robinson. Tremendous career and he showed you can get to the NBA from that agricultural school in Connecticut.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have to say that in history to date, yes Ray is the man
Currently to those who are under 30 its probably Kemba
To me, any UConn player who plays in the league is important to the program

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t think they are really in the conversation. You would have to skip over Cliff and Rip to get to them.
I liked the "early stretch 4," and "protypical 3-and-D" shout outs Cliff got tagged with in memorial posts, along with him being noted in a 'group of 3' with Nowitzki & Wallace as the only ones with 1,000 each on blocks, steals, and 3-pointers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a good question, Ray is the best pro we’ve had. He was/is literally considered the/top 3 shooters of all time up till the 3 point revolution.

That being said, it seems that when Kemba does some kind of out of this world play, there’s usually a reference to UConn or his college days. Ex. The step back game 1

Reaction Score
You could make a case for Richard Hamilton. His decision to come back for his senior junior season resulted in UConn's elevation to national championship status. He then added an NBA ring as a Detroit Piston. If his Olympic team had collected a gold instead of a silver, he would be in rarified air as a champion. Even so, Ray's HOF status cements his place at the top of the pyramid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You could make a case for Richard Hamilton. His decision to come back for his senior season resulted in UConn's elevation to national championship status. He then added an NBA ring as a Detroit Piston. If his Olympic team had collected a gold instead of a silver, he would be in rarified air as a champion. Even so, Ray's HOF status cements his place at the top of the pyramid.

Rip left after his junior year.

Reaction Score
Ray is the answer but I don't think Donyell should be short-changed. Our first lottery pick, our first Top 5 pick, though he had a relatively disappointing pro career.

Ray is the clear #1, Rip is probably still #2 though Kemba might overtake that.

Reaction Score
Ray is the answer but I don't think Donyell should be short-changed. Our first lottery pick, our first Top 5 pick, though he had a relatively disappointing pro career.

Ray is the clear #1, Rip is probably still #2 though Kemba might overtake that.
Ray was no complimentary player. He was the focal point. No ifs ands or buts.

Reaction Score
The guy with ball in his hands at the end of the game is the man, isn't he?

Not really. Plenty of teams who don't have a true #1 still have to have the ball in someone's hands at the end of the game. Kemba is still a much better playmaker than Tatum or Brown, obviously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom