Is JV or Freshman Basketball a Thing in College Anymore? | The Boneyard

Is JV or Freshman Basketball a Thing in College Anymore?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I would love to see this return. JV travels with the varsity team, and plays before the varsity team. If the varsity team has an injury, a JV player can play in a varsity game.

It would help develop some players.

Likely cost prohibitive, but I'd love to see it.

Reaction Score
I would love to see this return. JV travels with the varsity team, and plays before the varsity team. If the varsity team has an injury, a JV player can play in a varsity game.

You'd be an audience of 1.

Reaction Score
There are some DIII schools that have JV program. Many JUCO teams will play against JV Teams as well as Stronger Prep teams. There are many colleges that will look for players and call them developmental and part of their JV teams. I remember Mitchell College in CT having a JV team because they matched up against my son's team when he was at Holyoke Community College. Not sure that's still the case however.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I know UConn's Avery Point campus has athletic teams that compete in NJCAA. I wonder what the logistics would be for universities with regional campuses competing in NJCAA to utilize it as a feeder program for development players like you mention.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

You won’t even see programs following and trying to recruit HS frosh any longer. The resources for that are now focused to portal evaluation.

Get off my lawn.

Reaction Score

I recall UCONN having a JV team up to the mid sixties. I think it was gone when I got back from the Air Force.

Reaction Score
Offer more

to redshirts as well. Esssentialky doubling your rosters.

Reaction Score
Probably cut due to budget cuts. Schools are struggling to even field varsity sports. Most switched to club sports that players that aren't good enough to play varsity pay to play.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure UNC still has a JV team. I think they play junior colleges and such.
I actually played against UNC‘s JV team. I played for and coached a community college team in North Carolina. We were competitive, but they were considerably larger than us at every position. They were coached by Phil Ford.

What is funny is our head coach was telling the team that if the game went into overtime we would be on TV because the UNC game was nationally televised. I Believe they played UCLA. I got in trouble for telling the coach, “If it’s time for the UNC game, we could be going for a last-second game winning layup and the refs are going to blow the whistle and chase us off the court. We had a less than zero chance of being on TV.” He was adverse to reality. This same coach told the team before we scrimmaged Oak Hill Academy, that they had beaten The University of Connecticut the previous year. He was incorrect that time also, but did not like me explaining that if those two had played, I would’ve known.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

lol….freshmen teams went out in like 1972.

There’s like a handful of schools that have something that they refer to as junior varsity, but it’s not what you think of when the term is used. E.g. UNC. With 13 scholarship players and a handful of walkons, carrying a JV team doesn’t make much sense.

Can someone keep Tom updated on all these rule changes?

Reaction Score
For those who want to play, the UNC JV offer is a good one: Play JV, and the best player each year gets elevated to the varsity the following season.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I would enjoy seeing it as well. Chance to see our preferred walk-ons in more action plus developmental time for Hasson, Roumoglu and probably some stints for Samson Johnson and others to get more run in a game situation

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who would want to play JV for someone when they could play V somewhere else?

Reaction Score
Back in the late 70s playing community college baseball and basketball we played against JV teams in both. In baseball we played against UNC and Michigan JVs on a southern trip and also UConn and URI once back north. In hoops it was mostly smaller as we played Wesleyan, ECSU and SCSU.

Weren’t freshman teams a big thing back when they were ineligible until year 2. Back in the Wes and Toby days?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom