Is Jana out for the season? | The Boneyard

Is Jana out for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has Geno -or anything official from UConn- definitively stated that Jana is out for the season?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, Jana is out for the season. I do get your question. We could certainly use a skilled BIG right now. But we’re going to have to wait until next season before we finally get to see Jana perform her magic for the Huskies. :(

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess I get why this comes up from time to time. Geno is so unlikely to burn a whole year of her eligibility for half a season even if she is perfectly healthy it is really not a thing IMO. Maybe if she were other than a freshman and had a bunch of experience. It’s pretty much in the same realm as expecting Amari to suddenly become something she hasn’t shown in 2 1/2 years. Boy would I love to be wrong about her.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess I get why this comes up from time to time. Geno is so unlikely to burn a whole year of her eligibility for half a season even if she is perfectly healthy it is really not a thing IMO. Maybe if she were other than a freshman and had a bunch of experience. It’s pretty much in the same realm as expecting Amari to suddenly become something she hasn’t shown in 2 1/2 years. Boy would I love to be wrong about her.
It did occur to me that Aubrey’s injury might just resurrect Amari as a possibility for a few minutes a game during the regular rotation. Obviously, Q & Ice have first dibs on additional PT. But against teams with real size, having a 6’5” post that can play a little defense, set screens and grab a rebound or two would be a real plus.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If she is healed and cleared if you were to give her an opportunity to play part of a season for possibly play for a NC what would her choices be? Next year no Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey, maybe Paige.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Isn't Aaron Rodgers practicing?
There seems to have been some “grifting” going on with Rodgers as to whether and how much he was practicing as well as a possibility that he could return this season. Some of the grifting occurred on his weekly appearance on the Pat McAfee show, in the free wheeling dialogue between Rodgers and the host, that has created a number of other problems for the show & ESPN. The Jets eventually confirmed that there was no plan for Rodgers to play again this season.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Aaron Rodgers is at the end of his career. and the Jets are going nowhere. Totally different circumstances.
He is an athlete wants to compete? That is what drives them all. Yes he is older, slower to heal, heavier, would put more stress on the Achilles.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It did occur to me that Aubrey’s injury might just resurrect Amari as a possibility for a few minutes a game during the regular rotation. Obviously, Q & Ice have first dibs on additional PT. But against teams with real size, having a 6’5” post that can play a little defense, set screens and grab a rebound or two would be a real plus.
I think the few minutes a game is possible, maybe mostly if the other two bigs have foul trouble. But if her contribution gets beyond giving someone a rest, that would be unexpected. I would be perfectly happy if she just rebounded and defended the post and never scored a point (I would not be upset if she could score) but it’s defense that would help and ditto for Ice right now, who showed signs vs. Creighton. People would not be talking about Jana if Ice gets up to speed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Practicing =/= playing.

Rodgers is also a 40-year-old at the tail end of his career. And he's a QB, where the demands on an achilles are much less intense than for, say, a running back or a wide receiver or, yes, a basketball player.

Different demands on the body, different risk/benefit calculation based on age and career horizon.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She has yet to do this consistently against teams without size, so...
BTW Did you notice her play near the end of the Creighton game where (I believe) Inês passed into Amari, and the pass was off the mark? That reaction is why the Amari ship has sailed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aaron Rodgers had a special type of surgery that put a rod in his leg to stabilize his ACL. The surgery is a experimental type and the Jets were willing to pay for it hopping that he would be able to play this year. I don't think that UConn would be able to take the risk of that type of surgery on any of their basketball players.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I read recently that he was pulled off of IR simply so he could practice with the team. There was never any intent that he would play again this season.

sun

Reaction Score
BTW Did you notice her play near the end of the Creighton game where (I believe) Inês passed into Amari, and the pass was off the mark? That reaction is why the Amari ship has sailed.
What reaction by Amari are you talking about?
Amari didn't make any reaction, the pass was simply thrown a foot out of her reach.
The play begins at the 1:19:15 mark.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If she is healed and cleared if you were to give her an opportunity to play part of a season for possibly play for a NC what would her choices be? Next year no Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey, maybe Paige.
Bank on it. He is not going to use her. For all we know Caroline wants to play now. He is not going to burn a potential star freshman year with half a season left. And there seems to be some assumption that she would make an immediate impact, a total unknown. We are still waiting fir Ice to blossom (ice blossoming, a strange thought) and she had a big resume too. And for Aaron Rodgers, he has a HOF resume, a bit different in so many ways from Jana. Her only comparison right now is that they had more or less the ssme injury

Reaction Score
I am so confused as to why this year, most BYers would rather play with 4 players on the court rather than see Amari in the game.

Reaction Score
Even more striking than that -- though pulling her hand down rather than a least stretching out for a high pass is pretty telling -- I thought there were two occasions when she didn't even contest shots in the low post. Even stretching out one of her long arms can make a difference. I suppose it could have been an artifact or a lingering twinge from the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom