Is it really a rivalry? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it really a rivalry?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Back in the day, UConn vs Rutgers was a huge rivalry despite RU's having only a couple wins over UConn (not sure how many, I'm positive of at least one). The games were brutal rock fights to the very end and finished with some dreary scores, like 52-48. I both anticipated and dreaded RU games.

Absolutely, UConn-ND is a rivalry. The offenses are prettier, for the most part, but the rock fight mentality remains.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Probably the biggest 'rivalry' in US sports is Red Sox/Yankees but the reality is that for much of the past 100 years it has been completely dominated by the Yankees and for the most of the years when Boston has been ascendant the Yankees have been pretty pathetic.

Same is true when you look internationally - ManU vs. Man City, Celtic vs Rangers, etc.

Rivalries do not actually have to be competitive they just have to stir fans to irrational thoughts and hatred.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In the 2001 FF, UCONN was down not 1, but TWO All Americans to career ending injury. In that 2 season run where ND won a string of miracle last second and overtime victories, the UCONN roster was depleted by the defections of EDD and Walker.......and unlike 'some' teams (ND, for eample) UCONN can't just go out an poach a top player from another team, then have the NCAA instantly clear that transfer to play.

Luck-o-the-Irish???

This post alone proves it's a rivalry

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
they just have to stir fans to irrational thoughts and hatred.

we just have something against schools that get away with cheating.

thinking-face.png

Reaction Score
Of course it's a rivalry. Very strong feelings on both sides, quality teams, good coaching, a bit of chippiness from time to time. Seems like a rivalry to me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and Muffet do not really like one another

I don't think that's accurate. They certainly aren't friends (and never really were) and have done some public sparring, but I doubt they dislike each other. They're very competitive coaches who really want to win, particularly when their teams play each other.

BTW, Paul Doyle stated on today's Courant podcast that Geno was Muffet's biggest advocate for getting in to the Naismith Hall of Fame. According to Paul, "Geno was the one who really pushed and advocated for her."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BTW, Paul Doyle stated on today's Courant podcast that Geno was Muffet's biggest advocate for getting in to the Naismith Hall of Fame. According to Paul, "Geno was the one who really pushed and advocated for her."
I'm sure that's true. After all, Geno was one of the very first to contribute to Pat Summit's cause, even though they hadn't talked for sometime. Like most of us, he keeps 2 sets of records: his daily emotional feelings and his higher moral aspirations.
But I stand by what I said: they don't really like each other. Doesn't mean that they actively dislike each other. Just that they don't have much in common emotionally and, because they compete against each other under very tense circumstances, there is no common sensibility to overcome that tension. tomcat says "chippiness"...maybe...or maybe a bit more than that....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone, which is weird thing.
They are a rivalry because the games , for the most part are close and entertaining. Also, visit McGraws bench where the level of hate for our Huskies is really high. We are the "Evil Empire" to them.
However, our 36-11 record shows that its not much of a rivalry, as we beat them like a drum.
Muffit McGraw is a great coach , but I don't like their style of play. I feel that their goal is to beat their opponents with a physical style of play.
Their game last night with Michigan St was described as "chippy" as there was an incident with Marina Mabrey.
I wish we wouldn't play them anymore and try to mend ways with Tenn.

Reaction Score
Around 2005 ESPN put out a DVD naming the top rivalries in Div.1 basketball, men and women. Out of 25 rivalries Uconn and Tennessee WBB was No.2! No.1 was Duke and North Carolina Men.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I get your point, but considering that UConn has only 2 losses in the past 4+ seasons, with most victories by double digits, ND is at least a competitive game that is about the best WBB can do for a genuine rivalry as far as the Huskies are concerned. While Diggins was at ND, it certainly was a great rivalry.

Back to your point, I’ve often commented that I miss the heyday of Pat Summitt and the Vols. Those games were tremendous battles that truly constituted the biggest rivalry in WBB.

But short of TN or another team raising their level of play to be able to compete with UConn year in and year out, ND - UConn will have to pass as the best rivalry in WBB.

Rivalries need both teams to be consistently competitive over a fairly long time period, and both teams must be able to routinely win games. We are 13-9 vs. Tennessee. That was a tremendous rivalry, and by far the best one ever seen in WCBB. We are now 36-11 vs. ND, and 7 of their 11 wins came during the three year span from 2011 - 2013. That means they only managed to win four games during the other 17 some odd years of the series. The teams, fans and coaches hate each other, but as for it being a major rivalry it really doesn't come anywhere close to approaching the level of UCONN vs. Tennessee. Maybe nothing ever will again.

Reaction Score
Around 2005 ESPN put out a DVD naming the top rivalries in Div.1 basketball, men and women. Out of 25 rivalries Uconn and Tennessee WBB was No.2! No.1 was Duke and North Carolina Men.

Exactly. When I think of UCONN’s rival it is still TN. Looking at things on a bigger scale they are the only program that can come close to comparing with us in terms of tradition, a winning history and of course titles.

I look at Notre Dame like an annoying little brother or sister who knows they or not as good as you but have been watching/studying you for so long they learn your tendencies and vulnerabilities. They learn how to compete with you and when they catch you not at your best can mess around and beat you ever now and then.

The ND vs UCONN “rivalry” is nice to put out in the media to help sell the sport now but historically speaking we all know what the real rivalry is.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Is it okay if we enjoy and still think we're too good for it?

Why ND is our rival:

1) Rivals have to have a chance to beat you to stay relevant.
Muffet understands what we do and how to exploit it. ND will always be dangerous when she's there.

2) Rivals must have beaten, especially in meaningful games.
Muffet has beaten us. When Diggins was there it happened all too regularly. ND took the BET championship in 2013, beat us in the NCAAs in 2011 and won the NC in 2001 (Ruth Riley.)

3) Rivals must genuinely dislike each other.
Miss Muffet has refused to stand or applaud for our players getting awards and talked smack about Geno. Sure everything is all hugs and kisses now, but fans (like CL82) have long memories.

I wrote that from the UConn fans perspective but think about it from the ND/Muffet prospective. Muffet would be the best active coach of her generation but for Geno. Think that doesn't bother her? ND fans would have had the most dominant WBB program but for UConn. I have believe that that stings.

So yeah, it's a rivalry.

I don't think Muffet is remotely close to being second only to Geno "of her generation". For one thing she coached against Pat Summitt for most of her generation, and Summitt is hands down second only to Geno. Beyond that, Muffet has only one natty. Tara VanDerveer has two and a longer record of success at the highest level of WCBB. Muffet also had her chances to beat teams not named UCONN in the FF recently, and she lost them all. She's a great regular season coach, but when it comes to winning the big one, only doing it once doesn't put her anywhere remotely close to the same stratosphere as Geno and Pat. And that one time she enjoyed the luxury of not having to face a UCONN team at full strength, since our two best players were out injured. It's likely she wouldn't have any if it weren't for that. She belongs in the discussion along with VanDerveer and Kim Mulkey, but only as a very distant third, or perhaps even fourth or fifth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think Muffet is remotely close to being second only to Geno "of her generation". For one thing she coached against Pat Summitt for most of her generation, and Summitt is hands down second only to Geno. Beyond that, Muffet has only one natty. Tara VanDerveer has two and a longer record of success at the highest level of WCBB. Muffet also had her chances to beat teams not named UCONN in the FF recently, and she lost them all. She's a great regular season coach, but when it comes to winning the big one, only doing it once doesn't put her anywhere remotely close to the same stratosphere as Geno and Pat. And that one time she enjoyed the luxury of not having to face a UCONN team at full strength, since our two best players were out injured. It's likely she wouldn't have any if it weren't for that. She belongs in the discussion along with VanDerveer and Kim Mulkey, but only as a very distant third, or perhaps even fourth or fifth.
Don't disagree about Summitt, that's why I used the phrase "best active coach of her generation. Regarding Muffet, take a look at the number of times UConn eliminated ND, including championship games, but for UConn, Muffet would be the coach everyone would talk about. She'd have what four national championships? More? I think you can make the same argument about Tara's post season success that you made about Muffet's. That said I have no issue with you disagreeing.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Their game last night with Michigan St was described as "chippy" as there was an incident with Marina Mabrey.

There was precisely one "chippy" moment in that Michigan State game and Marina was the one breaking up the shoving match.

Reaction Score
There was precisely one "chippy" moment in that Michigan State game and Marina was the one breaking up the shoving match.
The game was described in a title of a thread. "One of the more Chippy games in recent memory" The thread described a shoving incident between Arike and an MSU player with 43 seconds left in the first half, and yes Mabrey pulled Arike back. The thread went on to say that there were several other episodes of "elbows" being thrown.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The game was described in a title of a thread. "One of the more Chippy games in recent memory" The thread described a shoving incident between Arike and an MSU player with 43 seconds left in the first half, and yes Mabrey pulled Arike back. The thread went on to say that there were several other episodes of "elbows" being thrown.

I watched the game and I didn't see it that way. That was the only real bad-tempered sequence of the game in my view.

Mostly, though, I responded to clarify regarding Marina.

Reaction Score
I get your point, but considering that UConn has only 2 losses in the past 4+ seasons, with most victories by double digits, ND is at least a competitive game that is about the best WBB can do for a genuine rivalry as far as the Huskies are concerned. While Diggins was at ND, it certainly was a great rivalry.

Back to your point, I’ve often commented that I miss the heyday of Pat Summitt and the Vols. Those games were tremendous battles that truly constituted the biggest rivalry in WBB.

But short of TN or another team raising their level of play to be able to compete with UConn year in and year out, ND - UConn will have to pass as the best rivalry in WBB.

I contend that it is not the number wins or losses against a specific team that creates a Rivalry--it is the intensity of those games one vs the other. Okla instate rivalry is a bit lobsided--but it continues to be the biggest games of the year for either; the Bedlam series. I believe the ND/Uconn WBB is their equal or more so.
If you missed the Vol games--you missed some of the best games every. That is why many of us long time Uconn fans lamented the loss of that home and home series. When watching these other rivalries: Did you ever see a player of the other team just have to punch (say) something green as DT did after playing Pat's Team? Those games were all out--with 2 minutes to go--you could rarely accurately predict the winner--a WBB basketball lovers dream come true. Nothing after that compares--ND is the closest game to those. I don't have say IN MY OPINION--all posting usually are an opinion, so says my attorney.

Reaction Score
I watched the game and I didn't see it that way. That was the only real bad-tempered sequence of the game in my view.

Mostly, though, I responded to clarify regarding Marina.
Fair enough, Mabrey is a "Baller"
Thanks for correcting

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Don't disagree about Summitt, that's why I used the phrase "best active coach of her generation. Regarding Muffet, take a look at the number of times UConn eliminated ND, including championship games, but for UConn, Muffet would be the coach everyone would talk about. She'd have what four national championships? More? I think you can make the same argument about Tara's post season success that you made about Muffet's. That said I have no issue with you disagreeing.

But the same argument can be made about Tara. Geno has knocked her out of multiple FF's and other rounds. And she already has one more NC than Muffet. She might have won more than Muffet with Geno out of the picture. McGraw simply hasn't proven to be a big game coach. I'd put Tara ahead of her. She had Diggins for four years and came up empty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But the same argument can be made about Tara. Geno has knocked her out of multiple FF's and other rounds. And she already has one more NC than Muffet. She might have won more than Muffet with Geno out of the picture. McGraw simply hasn't proven to be a big game coach. I'd put Tara ahead of her. She had Diggins for four years and came up empty.
Ok Argee to disagree.

Reaction Score
Back in the day, UConn vs Rutgers was a huge rivalry despite RU's having only a couple wins over UConn (not sure how many, I'm positive of at least one). The games were brutal rock fights to the very end and finished with some dreary scores, like 52-48. I both anticipated and dreaded RU games.

Absolutely, UConn-ND is a rivalry. The offenses are prettier, for the most part, but the rock fight mentality remains.
Early years of the Big East the biggest UCONN rival was BC in any sport. THE rivalry started in 94/95 and continued until 06/07. There were rivalry periods of a few years with Rutgers, Stanford and Duke sprinkled over the years. nd had occasional success prior and was not really a rival until their breakout seasons of 10/11- 12/13. Since then the results have been one way with some games more competitive than others, but generally more competitive than with any other team. nd is the only long time opponent still on the schedule. Is it still a rivalry? It has lost some tarnish, 7 straight will do that, but it’s all we got.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Early years of the Big East the biggest UCONN rival was BC in any sport. THE rivalry started in 94/95 and continued until 06/07. There were rivalry periods of a few years with Rutgers, Stanford and Duke sprinkled over the years. nd had occasional success prior and was not really a rival until their breakout seasons of 10/11- 12/13. Since then the results have been one way with some games more competitive than others, but generally more competitive than with any other team. nd is the only long time opponent still on the schedule. Is it still a rivalry? It has lost some tarnish, 7 straight will do that, but it’s all we got.
Providence was the power in the Big East in the early years. Maybe UConn fans didn't like BC but I don't remember it as a particular rival

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom