Is it possible S. Car will be 5-7? | The Boneyard

Is it possible S. Car will be 5-7?

Reaction Score
SC will be 5-7 if they lose to Baylor, @Duke, @ Purdue and Temple. They have a cupcake after Baylor for win #5. I think it’s very feasible they are 6-6

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Entirely possible but insignificant unless they become at risk for not making the tournament.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
SC will be 5-7 if they lose to Baylor, @Duke, @ Purdue and Temple. They have a cupcake after Baylor for win #5. I think it’s very feasible they are 6-6
Not possible. South Carolina is struggling for sure as Dawn toys with different combinations, but there is no way they lose to Temple. Temple is 2-4 and Massey has them ranked 198th. They have already lost to 2 teams not in Massey's top 100 and probably will not finish in the top half of the AAC this season (unless they show dramatic improvement).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the bigger challenge for SC is not their OOC schedule, but what happens once they start league play. I know that our SC friends believe that Dawn is playing everyone right now in an effort to figure out what her rotation will be once SEC play begins. But there is a very real possibility that this SC team may end up in the bottom half of the SEC, which, given a mediocre OOC record, could leave the Gamecocks out of the Big Dance for the first time in many years. It's way too early to predict such an outcome, but in the upcoming games it's all the more important that SC begins to right the ship.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think the bigger challenge for SC is not their OOC schedule, but what happens once they start league play. I know that our SC friends believe that Dawn is playing everyone right now in an effort to figure out what her rotation will be once SEC play begins. But there is a very real possibility that this SC team may end up in the bottom half of the SEC, which, given a mediocre OOC record, could leave the Gamecocks out of the Big Dance for the first time in many years. It's way too early to predict such an outcome, but in the upcoming games it's all the more important that SC begins to right the ship.

Have you seen the SEC teams this year?? :eek::D:p:cool:;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Have you seen the SEC teams this year?? :eek::D:p:cool:;)
Yes I know the SEC is down overall, but right now, there are 4-5 SEC teams that are clearly better than SC, and a bunch of teams that could be on the same general level. If SC plays approximately 500 ball in conference and gets knocked out of the conference tournament early, who knows.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes I know the SEC is down overall, but right now, there are 4-5 SEC teams that are clearly better than SC, and a bunch of teams that could be on the same general level. If SC plays approximately 500 ball in conference and gets knocked out of the conference tournament early, who knows.

Kentucky, Miss State, TN... who else you got?

Reaction Score
Perhaps they're thinking too much about all those wonderful Christmas gifts they're getting next season..............

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kentucky, Miss State, TN... who else you got?
Yeah, and I'm not convinced that even Tennessee or Kentucky are actually better than SC right now. Those are tough calls.

Plebe

Reaction Score
People are really overreacting to SC's losses so far. First of all, it's not like they're losing to bad teams, and they were within a whisker of beating a strong Oregon State team in Vancouver. Sure, they probably won't beat Baylor, and I can see them perhaps losing @ Purdue, but I will be shocked if Temple can even stay within single digits of them and, frankly, I don't see Duke beating them this year either.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
... frankly, I don't see Duke beating them this year either.
Would it hurt to show a little compassion for Triad or Cameron by at least qualifying it..."frankly (apologies to Triad/Cameron), I don't see Duke beating them this year either....:rolleyes:

Ok, so yes, I am trying to make amends for my misreading tOSU/NC score and thinking Triad was complimenting NC....;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
People are really overreacting to SC's losses so far. First of all, it's not like they're losing to bad teams, and they were within a whisker of beating a strong Oregon State team in Vancouver. Sure, they probably won't beat Baylor, and I can see them perhaps losing @ Purdue, but I will be shocked if Temple can even stay within single digits of them and, frankly, I don't see Duke beating them this year either.
It’s not so much SC’s losses, although the MD loss by 20+ was surprising, it’s really their struggles in some of their wins against mediocre competition, specifically Clemson and Dayton.

One statistic from the Dayton game should set off all kinds of warning signals. For the entire game SC had 3 total assists on 23 baskets. I’m not exactly sure how you play an entire basketball game with only 3 assists as a team.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
This not a piling on comment because SC has absolutely owned MSU in the Staley era, but I am interested to see how things play out with this (hopefully on State's end) rivalry. Wilson was clearly one of the best of her generation and impossible to replace. This could well be a pretty down year for SC, but I doubt it lasts long.

ETA I till see zero chance of SC being in the bottom half of the SEC. At this point MSU looks to be better than the rest. UK has been very impressive thus far and I consider SC and UT right behind those two. Honestly those are the only 4 that strike me as Top 25 caliber right now in the SEC. TAMU, LSU, Mizzou, and UGA have disappointed.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I see S.C. as having 8-10 losses this year. The last time UConn lost 10 games, Geno was still being mistaken for Frankie Avalon.
True, but UConn did lose 8 in year 1 PT (post-Taurasi). Kinda like SC is in year 1 PA. (And before anyone attacks me with their pitchfork, no I'm not saying A'ja is or was better than Diana, but their significance to their respective programs is certainly analogous.)

Geez people. At least give Dawn some credit for her scheduling. We're always complaining about how certain other coaches line up more cupcakes in their OOC than in a school bake sale.

Reaction Score
I’m overreacting to the SC losses and loving it. Be great to see them at 6-6.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The Gamecocks have played mostly mediocre ball, so far, but with some pre-season injuries and a lot of newcomers, they were bound to take some time to gel. We probably won't beat Baylor, but I don't see any more losses for them before league play begins.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
This Gamecock team is a work in progress. If they progress to their talent level they will be an NCAA tournament team. If they remain a group of individual mindsets playing on a team concept...well...that could be problematic. It usually works itself out about midseason. These are girls that have not played together as a unit for the most part. They are not the Gamecocks of old but you would be foolish to write Staley and a group of 5 stars off.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What the heck happened to Florida?

1543757609686.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members