Is it me or... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it me or...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I sure think so. It's the same treatment all UConn superstars get...DT, Maya and yes KLS...the UConn system is using a lot of movement and the idea is that the great shooters get the ball in the spots on the floor that they like shooting from so the opponents typically hold, scratch, choke, etc to make sure that that does not happen.
In KLS case I remember watching a game on the web from her HS days where the treatment she got could be considered a continues assault so I guess she is kind of used to be roughed up by opposing players and she is clearly one tough player and will not let it stop her or intimidate her!

My "favorite" illustration of this is DT (the biggest punching bag in wcbb history) in a Tenn game; can't recall if it was a january game or in the NCAAs. She was getting a mugging with no help from the striped whistles and one this offensive play for UConn she got blatantly clothes lined. The next offensive play she came down a threw a 3 in, swung back up court and let loose a string of expletive deleteds, which, of course, became the occasion of a bunch of vile crap on The Summitt. The latter has always been a source of amusement to me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You failed to mention that KIA with her hockey mentality--does more than her fair share of knocking other teams around. She ain't on lilting lily

And I differ on your belief that KLS is soft--yea she looks like a movie star, has a thiner body, except for when her body is really broken, she doe s not cry--she usually laughs when the other team knocks her down and she gets the right call--no KLS may be a girlly girl but that does not mean she isn't mentally and physically tough.
and that why I don't understand why folks are making a big deal of her getting bruised

Reaction Score
In high school she was fouled a lot so KLS developed a pattern of over reacting so that she would get calls. Sometimes that gets you calls but it also gets you a reputation of acting so it then starts working against you. KLS was never really soft. She she just used to act that way to get the refs attention. She is not doing that as much as she did in high school that's the only difference. She probably figured out it wasn't doing her that much good. I wouldn't call that soft, just her part of her game strategy. She can also certainly also dish it out when she chooses to.

Reaction Score
Does Lou seem to get fouled harder than anyone in the game? Do you think it's the the scouting report to "rough her up" a bit? Maybe on some fouls she's a bit of an actor accentuating the foul a bit but others she's legit knocked on her butt, shoved while going up for a lay up etc. Interested in hearing others opinion.

Lou does get bang around a lot, but she is also a good actress too. Not that there’s anything worry with that.

Reaction Score
What a good ideal ...Go Kyla we need you next time when we play ND.
Kyla is one tough cookie--she is built like and mobile tank--and the beautiful part is, she likes mixing it up with the big.\
If she put a hit on a player , not just ND, any team she'd make them know they were hit.
I know ND takes what the refs allow, but there should be a limit to the number of "jump-ins" they can do in a game. The moving picks drove me batty watching the game. We can blame ND, but if its allowed by the refs--take it.

Reaction Score
My "favorite" illustration of this is DT (the biggest punching bag in wcbb history) in a Tenn game; can't recall if it was a january game or in the NCAAs. She was getting a mugging with no help from the striped whistles and one this offensive play for UConn she got blatantly clothes lined. The next offensive play she came down a threw a 3 in, swung back up court and let loose a string of expletive deleteds, which, of course, became the occasion of a bunch of vile crap on The Summitt. The latter has always been a source of amusement to me.
At the end of the game she came down, using her final foul, and jumped into about 3 Vols. Not sure if this was the game she punched something orange (her words) the basket post. DT was/is one tough woman or man, she took unusual punishment with a terrible back issue, that would have side lines many, and kept taking the punishment. Most remember her scoring and bravado--I remember her physical and inner strength.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Speaking of clearing out: ND with one of their players, guards or post, driving towards the basket ---the player defending Uconn player, down low, held and arm out as they moved in front of the Uconn player keeping her from defending the attacker. Whew---all this to say:
Were (all of those) those not moving picks?? Happened a lot in the first 3 qtrs.

Lilli Thompson, the Stanford 5th year transfer, made many of her jumpers or drives --jumping into a Uconn player--same ole --same old--the jumping jacks of ND's get the calls.

Funny you bring this up. In the PAC the coaches got so tired of her just jumping into players and getting flop calls that every player was told just to stand straight up and not react as she doesn't make lay ups any way. After a while the refs stopped calling it.

Reaction Score
Lou does get bang around a lot, but she is also a good actress too. Not that there’s anything worry with that.
It’s a little off-putting to me. I was a little embarrassed with that flop in Q4 of the Miss. State game, even though the call kept us in the game. I wish she would tone it down a little and just give it back harder once in a while instead.

Reaction Score
It’s a little off-putting to me. I was a little embarrassed with that flop in Q4 of the Miss. State game, even though the call kept us in the game. I wish she would tone it down a little and just give it back harder once in a while instead.
Giving it back doesn't add a foul to your opponent or cause a turnover.

Reaction Score
In high school she was fouled a lot so KLS developed a pattern of over reacting so that she would get calls. Sometimes that gets you calls but it also gets you a reputation of acting so it then starts working against you. KLS was never really soft. She she just used to act that way to get the refs attention. She is not doing that as much as she did in high school that's the only difference. She probably figured out it wasn't doing her that much good. I wouldn't call that soft, just her part of her game strategy. She can also certainly also dish it out when she chooses to.
The fanboys on here won’t like it but this is exactly what she does. She’s not the first to do it and won’t be the last.

Reaction Score
During the ND game Shapared almost hit Lou in the head with an elbow going for a lose ball, not saying Shapared is a dirty player, but she sure doesn't mind contact. The play happened around the 5:24 mark in the 1st quarter of the game.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the insight on the origin of Lou's "acting". She IS a tough kid - I'll always think of her hurling into a trash basket before getting back into the game and the great pics of her with a terrific shiner.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

Considering you are with St Mary, I can see where you get your thoughts. There were quite a few actors on those teams and a lot of them had nothing to do with being singled out by the defense.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You have a player who gets singled out by other teams. We did it. If she was on our team we would probably send in an enforcer to take care of who was doing it. Or you could be like some of these posters who don't give a crap except for their own player and let her get hurt. You know what we call those types of players who only care about themselves and not their team - TEAM killers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a huge fan, and a huge KLS fan, but I wish she would tone down the drama queen flopping a little. I mean how can we look ourselves in the mirror and complain about ND being “Flop U”?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In answer to the OP, yes, teams are being really physical against UConn. In the ND game, the refs let them play. In some games, the officials start out calling it tight, but then ease up so that there are five left to play at the end.

I don't mind officials either calling a game tight or letting them play, but not both in the same game.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that Lou is a drama queen. IMo she's learning to be more physical. Stretching herself (game) and along the way not as accustomed to do what she is now trying to do. Probably trying to be similar to a player she used to watch a lot of tape on- Larry Bird. But she's not the Larry Bird that was partially a pf. As a result, she's going to get knocked to the floor. Though Lou is a beast in her own right.

Reaction Score
Next year Lou takes Kia's spot in the starting line up. Maybe that will help her to not be knocked around so much if she's in a different position.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that Lou is a drama queen. IMo she's learning to be more physical. Stretching herself (game) and along the way not as accustomed to do what she is now trying to do. Probably trying to be similar to a player she used to watch a lot of tape on- Larry Bird. But she's not the Larry Bird that was partially a pf. As a result, she's going to get knocked to the floor. Though Lou is a beast in her own right.
Appreciate your sentiments. OK "drama queen" was probably a bit of an overstatement. I saw Lou play a couple times in HS, and even back then I thought she had a little more of a tendency to "sell" fouls than my liking. But that's just me - just wish she would tone it down a bit, not change who she is. Regardless, I'd still take her over anyone else in her class. (BTW I think LeBron James is a bit of a drama queen too, but if I was choosing up sides I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have on my team.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno will continue to push Lou to play down low as well as work the outside and I think she really enjoys getting in the scrum. She gets mauled because she does not appear tough but we all know better.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Appreciate your sentiments. OK "drama queen" was probably a bit of an overstatement. I saw Lou play a couple times in HS, and even back then I thought she had a little more of a tendency to "sell" fouls than my liking. But that's just me - just wish she would tone it down a bit, not change who she is. Regardless, I'd still take her over anyone else in her class. (BTW I think LeBron James is a bit of a drama queen too, but if I was choosing up sides I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have on my team.)
yeah I noticed that she looks for contact when she has a breakaway or is driving to the basket... expecting a foul from some contact that she helps create

Reaction Score
Next year Lou takes Kia's spot in the starting line up. Maybe that will help her to not be knocked around so much if she's in a different position.

If Lou slides over to the shooting guard spot then who will slide over to the wing ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom