Is it me or... | The Boneyard

Is it me or...

Reaction Score
Does Lou seem to get fouled harder than anyone in the game? Do you think it's the the scouting report to "rough her up" a bit? Maybe on some fouls she's a bit of an actor accentuating the foul a bit but others she's legit knocked on her butt, shoved while going up for a lay up etc. Interested in hearing others opinion.

Reaction Score
She wouldn't be the first one targeted for rough play by teams with less talent. Stewart saw that for all four years and it was almost painful to watch when she was a senior. I imagine this is in the toolbox for more coaches than not and if the coach doesn't suggest it then it's certainly going to occur to players tired of getting beat.

Reaction Score
Does Lou seem to get fouled harder than anyone in the game? Do you think it's the the scouting report to "rough her up" a bit? Maybe on some fouls she's a bit of an actor accentuating the foul a bit but others she's legit knocked on her butt, shoved while going up for a lay up etc. Interested in hearing others opinion.
I sure think so. It's the same treatment all UConn superstars get...DT, Maya and yes KLS...the UConn system is using a lot of movement and the idea is that the great shooters get the ball in the spots on the floor that they like shooting from so the opponents typically hold, scratch, choke, etc to make sure that that does not happen.
In KLS case I remember watching a game on the web from her HS days where the treatment she got could be considered a continues assault so I guess she is kind of used to be roughed up by opposing players and she is clearly one tough player and will not let it stop her or intimidate her!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To be fair, this is what happens to superior players of any team. An opposing coach who has no one to match up talentwise knows this is their only chance at equalizing the field.

Griner constantly had to contend with multiple defenders pushing her and hanging onto her like children on a jungle gym. It was like theater of the absurd. This is how Louisville was able to beat Baylor in 2013. Out-physical Griner and go crazy from the 3-point line.

Reaction Score
I nominate Kia cause Mabry would need a nurse.Watch after Mabry phish get into it
It can't be Kia. She doesn't have fouls to give as a starter, and really you want someone on the bigger side in that role.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget the purple bruises on DT's arms from all the bumping her opponents gave her as she cut through the lane! By the end of such a long season it really takes it's toll on the player attacked!

Reaction Score
It can't be Kia. She doesn't have fouls to give as a starter, and really you want someone on the bigger side in that role.

I can't quite remember, was it East Carolina playing us when Natalie apparently had enough and flattened a tiny little human with a massively solid screen? I was sore the next day from just watching it. Doty managed to lay out more than a few and did it with about sixty less pounds.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I can't quite remember, was it East Carolina playing us when Natalie apparently had enough and flattened a tiny little human with a massively solid screen? I was sore the next day from just watching it. Doty managed to lay out more than a few and did it with about sixty less pounds.

In the national finals against the Cuse, Kia gave one of their guards a good one when fighting for the ball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nah KLS is soft (basically Geno's words) and we feel bad about it when she gets hit.... since Kia has a "hockey-history" we dont mention her getting bruised up as much as gentle KLS

Reaction Score
Kia is an important piece to their defense. So you dont have her send a message foul. But she is a really tough player and you better be able to take if you are going to give with Kia Nurse!

Reaction Score
To be fair, this is what happens to superior players of any team. An opposing coach who has no one to match up talentwise knows this is their only chance at equalizing the field.

Griner constantly had to contend with multiple defenders pushing her and hanging onto her like children on a jungle gym. It was like theater of the absurd. This is how Louisville was able to beat Baylor in 2013. Out-physical Griner and go crazy from the 3-point line.
L’ville tried to continue that crap in the NC, but CD2 sent a message early on.

Reaction Score
L’ville tried to continue that crap in the NC, but CD2 sent a message early on.
I dunno I still say that was accidental. I mean sending a message when the score is 7-5 would be a little quick on the trigger. Plus CD2 got a flagrant 1 for that after the officials reviewed the play. Now had they done that after the take down of Stef with 7 minutes to play in the game then sure. That's why you do it with a bigger kid that goes to set an illegal (moving) screen. Oops sorry! and a common foul that results in no free throws rather than do it in a more blatant way that results in the opposition getting free throws and the ball.

Reaction Score
I dunno I still say that was accidental. I mean sending a message when the score is 7-5 would be a little quick on the trigger. Plus CD2 got a flagrant 1 for that after the officials reviewed the play. Now had they done that after the take down of Stef with 7 minutes to play in the game then sure. That's why you do it with a bigger kid that goes to set an illegal (moving) screen. Oops sorry! and a common foul that results in no free throws rather than do it in a more blatant way that results in the opposition getting free throws and the ball.
Oh yeah, accidental, wink, wink. Steph was getting mugged like Griner had been and Caroline was going to be aggressive and send a message when she had an opportunity. She was being the total TEAM player when someone needed to step up to be a bit of an enforcer. She was a starter with bad knees. She played because of her leadership and toughness. Geno certainly was not upset by the play. By the way, if you look closely at the play, I am not sure there was contact. She definitely swung the elbows, but there might have been a flop involved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
nah KLS is soft (basically Geno's words) and we feel bad about it when she gets hit.... since Kia has a "hockey-history" we dont mention her getting bruised up as much as gentle KLS
That’s what Geno said early last year. She has proven that she’s tougher than she looks—a lot tougher. Geno acknowledges it now.

Reaction Score
McClaren?
\\

McClaren--beat a Fowles led team at LSU, so much so the LSU coach highly praised McClaren. A great kid, good player.\

As pointed out above DT, Maya, KML, Stewie, Rene---a load of UConn TOP talented players--were ping pong balls. DT especially against Stanford or ND was pulled pushes, subtlely punches, knocked down, each screen was harder and more physical. The idea was to make EACH one think, tire them, and throw off their game. It worked a bit with Maya and the new Stewie--but DT and KLS only come back harder and tougher and make the opponents pay. Must be something in the Calif water--these are tough young ladies..

The ANSWER is: Katie Lou IS fouled much much harder than others, with fewer calls!

Reaction Score
Coach MM has her players particularly on Lou hit every time. I was close to basket Sunday and their players in the first half had no
fouls called under boards as they cleared out.
Further, the point guard from Stamford shoved one of players after she was called for charge. She has nasty attitude watching during the game.
Did you see after the game when MM gave her hand shake to Geno?
I can say the above with an open mind as my son went ND and teaches there

Reaction Score
You failed to mention that KIA with her hockey mentality--does more than her fair share of knocking other teams around. She ain't on lilting lily

And I differ on your belief that KLS is soft--yea she looks like a movie star, has a thiner body, except for when her body is really broken, she doe s not cry--she usually laughs when the other team knocks her down and she gets the right call--no KLS may be a girlly girl but that does not mean she isn't mentally and physically tough.

Reaction Score
Coach MM has her players particularly on Lou hit every time. I was close to basket Sunday and their players in the first half had no
fouls called under boards as they cleared out.
Further, the point guard from Stamford shoved one of players after she was called for charge. She has nasty attitude watching during the game.
Did you see after the game when MM gave her hand shake to Geno?
I can say the above with an open mind as my son went ND and teaches there

Speaking of clearing out: ND with one of their players, guards or post, driving towards the basket ---the player defending Uconn player, down low, held and arm out as they moved in front of the Uconn player keeping her from defending the attacker. Whew---all this to say:
Were (all of those) those not moving picks?? Happened a lot in the first 3 qtrs.

Lilli Thompson, the Stanford 5th year transfer, made many of her jumpers or drives --jumping into a Uconn player--same ole --same old--the jumping jacks of ND's get the calls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom