OT: - Is it "Canceled" or "Cancelled"? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Is it "Canceled" or "Cancelled"?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
It's canceled. It was canceled when I started as a sportswriter in 1970 and it still was canceled when I retired in 2016. It's in the Bible. No, not that Bible; the bible for journalists: The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, something that's sat on my desk for nearly half a century.
The AP Stylebook's purpose is consistency in journalistic expression. It is not the ultimate arbiter of orthographic virtue or excellance. It does not dictate in matters of academic writing. See the Chicago Manual of Style for that. It is not a general style manual, such as Bryan Garner's. Use AP style where appropriate, but don't project beyond its intended venue.

The majority of native English speakers and writers are not American. My ideolect or yours does not dictate right and wrong for all English speakers. I happen to prefer the single l
version of canceled. My wife uses two ls, as one would expect of a British subject. Horses for courses…

Passing the soapbox back to you, Golden Husky. We have to do something between game cancellations. Or is that cancelations? :D

Reaction Score
As to the question of whether someone was hanged or was hung, I always use the former.

As to the latter, I'm told that Truman Capote was a reliable source of inside information.

Reaction Score
The AP Stylebook's purpose is consistency in journalistic expression. It is not the ultimate arbiter of orthographic virtue or excellance. It does not dictate in matters of academic writing. See the Chicago Manual of Style for that. It is not a general style manual, such as Bryan Garner's. Use AP style where appropriate, but don't project beyond its intended venue.

The majority of native English speakers and writers are not American. My ideolect or yours does not dictate right and wrong for all English speakers. I happen to prefer the single l
version of canceled. My wife uses two ls, as one would expect of a British subject. Horses for courses…

Passing the soapbox back to you, Golden Husky. We have to do something between game cancellations. Or is that cancelations? :D
Othographic virtue no less.

Applauding.

Reaction Score
3E87898D-7645-4E06-99F9-73DEEF4DA601.jpeg

Page-turner about the creation of the OED and the splendid contributions made by a very disturbed American. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

Reaction Score
Now that you have revealed yet another difference between AE (American English) and BE (British English), perhaps you are ready to tell us whether you prefer spelled or spelt. :p

Here are a few more for your collection.

BritishUS
defencedefense
licencelicense
offenceoffense
pretencepretense

BritishUS
colourcolor
flavourflavor
humourhumor
labourlabor
neighbourneighbor

Lots more here: British and American spelling | Lexico.com
I'm American R,W,B. However often, and in my early education I used, the British spelling. To me they make sense. Especially OUR endings. Neighbour, please take no offence.

Reaction Score
A bit off topic:

"I pled the 5th when I appeared before Congress" vs. I pleaded the 5th when I appeared before Congress.

When I was a youth, "pled" was considered proper. When I went to law school (as a mature student) pleaded was considered the standard but "pled" was not considered erroneous. Nowadays, I never see "pled" written but I hear it spoken. Indeed my spellcheck does not recognize "pled." To further confuse things, the spoken "pled" can be spelled "plead."

Pled. ... Though still sometimes criticized, it is fully respectable today and both pled (or plead) and pleaded are in good use in the U.S. In legal use (such as “pleaded guilty,” “pled guilty”), both forms are standard, though pleaded is used with greater frequency. Mirriam-Webster Dictionary
I plead that I have never pled in a court or other legal function. I was taught PLED in my earlier and former life. You have cleared up my belief all others were not very intelligent when they plead, pled or pleaded.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There should be a category for "Canadian English" (CE). A lot of what's listed in British is how we spell words here, but there are times where we seem to flip to AE when it's convenient.

All I can say is that it's a good thing we're not talking French as Quebecois French is VERY different from the French from France. ;)

In Canada, we spell "cancelled" that way as well. Nowadays this is changing though with more people relying on Auto Correct and forgetting to change their English settings.
When is the last time an Event was ever Canceled or Cancelled in Quebec or
Haven't we had enough L's? :oops:

English provinces? My St Maurice or Maskonge Counties cousins learned both French (the Canadian way) and English (the British way).
You expected this---If you don't like it---knock the "L" out of it!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when 'Linear A' (mostly hieroglyphic) gave way to 'Linear B' (words in a line) in the aegean back in the day, the battle was engaged as to the written word. thanks canaanite/phoenicians. big props.
what's it mean? howz it spelt? ur wrong! no, ur wrong!
local boy sam clemens was/is the greatest wordsmith, ever. all style books should follow him. lol. true dat. screw shakespearean and Jeffersonian. nice guys, but rank amateurs as compared to ol marky mark.
Snoopy_It_Was_Dark_And_Stormy_Night.jpg

Reaction Score
When is the last time an Event was ever Canceled or Cancelled in Quebec or

English provinces? My St Maurice or Maskonge Counties cousins learned both French (the Canadian way) and English (the British way).
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Events have been cancelled, especially recently with COVID cases rising. They just moved a NHL game from Montreal to the US because they will not allow spectators in their arena.

If that is not what you meant, please clarify.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom