OT: - Is it "Canceled" or "Cancelled"? | The Boneyard

OT: Is it "Canceled" or "Cancelled"?

Reaction Score
In light of the fact that we'll be seeing the word canceled/cancelled a lot in the near future (unfortunately) I felt the need to double-check the spelling to make sure I don't get a ticket from the BY spelling police. Turns out you can't go wrong either way.

I always prefer to use "cancelled" because the ls seem to roll off your tongue in a way where they should be doubled. "Canceled" seems to be like it should be pronounced "Can suh lead" the way it's spelled.

In any case, both work.

You're welcome for helping you sleep better tonight.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ha fun topic.

The ambiguity arises on multisyllabic verbs in which the last syllable is atonic (unstressed) and ends in a vowel + L combination (cancel, marvel, level, dial, imperil).

In the UK, only "cancelled" is considered correct.

As you say, either spelling is correct in the US. But the nearly unanimous preference among US-based stylebooks (AP, New York Times, etc.) is to declare independence from the mother country through the radical act of dropping one of the L's: canceled, marveled, leveled, dialed, imperiled.

If the last syllable carries stress, the L always doubles: compelled, rebelled, patrolled, extolled.

Reaction Score
Now that you have revealed yet another difference between AE (American English) and BE (British English), perhaps you are ready to tell us whether you prefer spelled or spelt. :p

Here are a few more for your collection.

BritishUS
defencedefense
licencelicense
offenceoffense
pretencepretense

BritishUS
colourcolor
flavourflavor
humourhumor
labourlabor
neighbourneighbor

Lots more here: British and American spelling | Lexico.com
I prefer "spelled" in this case because "spelt" makes we think of someone getting hit with an open hand (i.e., a different form of "belt": He spelted him in the back of the head) but as we can surmise The past tense of the verb “spell” can be "spelt" in two ways.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Spent a year in HS at a school in England which totally messed up my already atrocious spelling. Add to that taking German classes that added in a 'crossed 7' and it is a wonder anyone understands anything I write.

:)

Reaction Score
I did a stint working with customers who were behind on debt payments many years ago. Our department was called ‘Consumer Counseling’. About half the time, it was misspelled ’Consumer Counselling’.

Reaction Score
Since I majored in English Lit, and read many English novels, I have a tendency to use many Brit spellings. In art class, I always use "grey" instead of "gray", and sometimes Americans give me a strange look.

Reaction Score
Since I majored in English Lit, and read many English novels, I have a tendency to use many Brit spellings. In art class, I always use "grey" instead of "gray", and sometimes Americans give me a strange look.
I was raised on British children's stories like Wind in the Willows, Jungle Book, Riki Tiki Tavi etc etc. Even into my teens, I was reading Homer, Dickens etc from British-published books and "grey" is deeply ingrained in me. There are other spellings that sometimes cause me to fall into the British way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A bit off topic:

"I pled the 5th when I appeared before Congress" vs. I pleaded the 5th when I appeared before Congress.

When I was a youth, "pled" was considered proper. When I went to law school (as a mature student) pleaded was considered the standard but "pled" was not considered erroneous. Nowadays, I never see "pled" written but I hear it spoken. Indeed my spellcheck does not recognize "pled." To further confuse things, the spoken "pled" can be spelled "plead."

Pled. ... Though still sometimes criticized, it is fully respectable today and both pled (or plead) and pleaded are in good use in the U.S. In legal use (such as “pleaded guilty,” “pled guilty”), both forms are standard, though pleaded is used with greater frequency. Mirriam-Webster Dictionary

Reaction Score
Anyone can pronounce "annulé et reprogrammé" ?
I can muddle through it with my basic French from school, however I don't recall, "reprogrammé" having that accent on the "e" before.

Reaction Score
Now that you have revealed yet another difference between AE (American English) and BE (British English), perhaps you are ready to tell us whether you prefer spelled or spelt. :p

Here are a few more for your collection.

BritishUS
defencedefense
licencelicense
offenceoffense
pretencepretense

BritishUS
colourcolor
flavourflavor
humourhumor
labourlabor
neighbourneighbor

Lots more here: British and American spelling | Lexico.com
There should be a category for "Canadian English" (CE). A lot of what's listed in British is how we spell words here, but there are times where we seem to flip to AE when it's convenient.

All I can say is that it's a good thing we're not talking French as Quebecois French is VERY different from the French from France. ;)
Ha fun topic.

The ambiguity arises on multisyllabic verbs in which the last syllable is atonic (unstressed) and ends in a vowel + L combination (cancel, marvel, level, dial, imperil).

In the UK, only "cancelled" is considered correct.

As you say, either spelling is correct in the US. But the nearly unanimous preference among US-based stylebooks (AP, New York Times, etc.) is to declare independence from the mother country through the radical act of dropping one of the L's: canceled, marveled, leveled, dialed, imperiled.

If the last syllable carries stress, the L always doubles: compelled, rebelled, patrolled, extolled.
In Canada, we spell "cancelled" that way as well. Nowadays this is changing though with more people relying on Auto Correct and forgetting to change their English settings.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But pled sounds so much more sophisticated! Pleaded just doesn't sound right.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It's canceled. It was canceled when I started as a sportswriter in 1970 and it still was canceled when I retired in 2016. It's in the Bible. No, not that Bible; the bible for journalists: The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, something that's sat on my desk for nearly half a century.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom