Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
They weren't neutralized by the St. Joes, Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan State, Florida, or Kentucky guards. That's all that matters.
My point was that the season saw them go barely over .500 and was a bubble team but for an amazing run in the BE Tourney. The team including Ollie went on an epic run and that can't ever be taken away. And you're right, all that matters is March.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If it's Hurley, would love to see Moore come home. He's been involved in the recruiting of so many top UConn recruits from the 90's...

Saw rumors somewhere, maybe URI board, that Moore was being considered for the job at Bryant.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uconnfanatic is right that we should all hope the AD does an honest search and didn't just look at one guy and line up a couple ringers to make it look like there was a field of several candidates. Hopefully he sought the advice of Calhoun and others to help him use the right criteria to make his decision and if he did we need to pray he makes a good choice. Rushing to hire one guy without thoroughly evaluating several others and ranking them in order can also be a disaster if, for some reason, a deal can't be done with the first choice. We don't need to do what Rutgers did when they struck out on a couple guys before hiring Pikiell.

I also think it's unfair to mention Oats' first two years and disregard his third year in which he went 27-9 and won his league. And, the condition of the Buffalo program when he took over is questionable because Bobby took the 2nd leading scorer to AZ ST with him and the best player (MAC player of the year) and two others were dismissed from the team the summer before Oats' first year of coaching for stealing $650 from members of the football team. This year's best players were underclassmen he brought in along with a transfer from Missouri who had played for him at the high school he coached before Bobby hired him as his first assistant when he took the Buffalo job, and he has what appears to be a very good recruiting class.

I'm just going to throw out a theory for you, @Uconnfanatic and @Kathy and anybody else who is concerned that we're jumping in too quickly on Hurley.

I am confident, that our AD started looking at candidates to replace Ollie after last year's dismal season. I am even more certain that discussions with informed people, probably including Jim Calhoun, about potentially available coaches, have been ongoing for months. I suspect that we've talked to the agents for every reasonable name you've seen mentioned. I am positive that we've reviewed their history and have kicked their tires. That means Dave, and Beth and everybody in the AD reaching out to their contacts and getting behind the scenes impressions on these coaches. That has been going on for some time. I believe they had narrowed the list long before they made the firing of Ollie official. Anything less would be malpractice.

So if people are proceeding on the basis that this all just started the day after our season ended, then you're proceeding on a faulty set of assumptions. They even officially hired a (pointless) search firm. You have to move very rapidly or you will lose your target in this market. That's why I guarantee you that they had spent a lot of time looking at candidates at least back to the fall, if not before that. I don't know if we will hire Hurley or not. But if we do, it wasn't because we didn't take a long look at others.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm just going to throw out a theory for you, @Uconnfanatic and @Kathy and anybody else who is concerned that we're jumping in too quickly on Hurley.

I am confident, that our AD started looking at candidates to replace Ollie after last year's dismal season. I am even more certain that discussions with informed people, probably including Jim Calhoun, about potentially available coaches, have been ongoing for months. I suspect that we've talked to the agents for every reasonable name you've seen mentioned. I am positive that we've reviewed their history and have kicked their tires. That means Dave, and Beth and everybody in the AD reaching out to their contacts and getting behind the scenes impressions on these coaches. That has been going on for some time. I believe they had narrowed the list long before they made the firing of Ollie official. Anything less would be malpractice.

So if people are proceeding on the basis that this all just started the day after our season ended, then you're proceeding on a faulty set of assumptions. They even officially hired a (pointless) search firm. You have to move very rapidly or you will lose your target in this market. That's why I guarantee you that they had spent a lot of time looking at candidates at least back to the fall, if not before that. I don't know if we will hire Hurley or not. But if we do, it wasn't because we didn't take a long look at others.

He is pretty much the only realistic legitimate candidate that has even been indentified.

They have to land him. If they don’t we might get Diacoed.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don’t advocate for Oats RIGHT NOW, I do think eventually he’s a great candidate for a major but right now, for many reasons, he’s still not quite there.

But for any of the previous discussions of him being a real candidate, he spoke super glowingly of Buffalo as a city that’s embraced him, and also his incoming recruiting class with Jeenathan. Then this happened with our morning hosts:

Host 1 (no major school interest): great job this year Nate, and stick around will ya?
NO: that’s the plan.
Host 1: good, that’s a good plan. (Hang up)
Host 2 (Cuse grad): ITS NOT MY IDEA BUT I did hear some people ask me over the weekend, hey what if Boeheim retires in a few years...Oats?
Host 1: (Yells at him for being a P5 bully)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yup. It's why it's been so frustrating to discuss this with some people on this board. They have made fundamentally stupid assumptions, and proceeding from those assumptions forward.

Or, of course, they're sock puppets.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yup. It's why it's been so frustrating to discuss this with some people on this board. They have made fundamentally stupid assumptions, and proceeding from those assumptions forward.

Or, of course, they're sock puppets.

I have no idea why, but you're the second person I've seen use sock puppets as an insult recently. Is that coming back?

I'm cool with Hurley, I just wanted to see the board discuss some other legit candidates (NOT JT3 etc.). I heard some great points on Oats. I'm good Hurley coming here, myself. But I guess after the last 2 years I wanted to at least hear other options because I'm preparing for the worst.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why, but you're the second person I've seen use sock puppets as an insult recently. Is that coming back?

I'm cool with Hurley, I just wanted to see the board discuss some other legit candidates (NOT JT3 etc.). I heard some great points on Oats. I'm good Hurley coming here, myself. But I guess after the last 2 years I wanted to at least hear other options because I'm preparing for the worst.
Sockpuppet (Internet) - Wikipedia

We have people on our board who do this on other forums. No reason to think it doesn't go both ways.

Reaction Score
^^ So all the other insiders who say the exact opposite are lying?

Reaction Score
And we would have lost to them if we played them in the NCAAs. That team was perfectly built to kill us. Their guards were mostly small and quick, and they had one of the all-time UCONN killers in Montrezl Harrell.

The luckiest we got in that tournament was not vs St Joes, but on selection sunday when we were as far away from Louisville as possible.

There is a lot of luck involved in winning NCAA tournaments. A lot of skill, desire and coaching, but a lot of luck also. Syracuse would not have won it's championship with Carmelo if they had to play us in the Tourney. Our guards were too physical and athletic for McNamara to do anything, and without a secondary scorer they weren't going to win. But they didn't have to play us and they beat everyone they played. As we did in '14.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not one of Borges's best. Basically states the obvious. Money was always going to be the issue; An issue that no one is more familiar with than AD DB. That said, wouldn't it be suspicious for DB to make this decision so quickly while totally disregarding the money aspect of it? You don't fire KO without being fully confident you can land your top choice.

When he fired Diaco, he clearly had a plan as to money he had available and what he'd be able to get for that money. I think it's safe to assume he had a plan this week as well. Whether Hurley is the plan or not, time will tell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

That would be a kick in the nads.

I haven't been following the rest of the coaching carousel; where is Mack rumored to be going?

Reaction Score
Who is this Coaching Changes account? He seems to be singing a different tune almost every day. Wasn't it yesterday that he said Hurley to UConn by Tuesday? Or am I getting my random Twitter accounts crossed?
It’s several different people sharing an account and relaying rumors that people DM them.

the Q

Reaction Score

I haven't been following the rest of the coaching carousel; where is Mack rumored to be going?

hopefully UConn.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Why in the world would Hurley focus on Xavier? He has no connection to Xavier, or Ohio or Cincinnati. This doesn't pass the smell test. Of course Xavier isn't looking for a coach.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Who is this Coaching Changes account? He seems to be singing a different tune almost every day. Wasn't it yesterday that he said Hurley to UConn by Tuesday? Or am I getting my random Twitter accounts crossed?
You’re exactly right. So the author of that account all but confirmed that we had a Hurley press conference planned, then talked to a friend of Hurley’s who says he never had any interest in the UConn job. All over the map.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Louisville.

I'm not trusting this account. Ohio seems like the opposite of everything we've heard from Hurley.
agreed. There is no way he would accept Xavier and not UConn. That makes 0 sense.

the Q

Reaction Score
A couple of Cincinnati fans on another general sports board I’ll visit are convinced Cronin is going to Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom