Is Geno only 1/5th as valuable as Nick Saban? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Geno only 1/5th as valuable as Nick Saban?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bags - as much as I like your posts, on this one you are comparing apples to oranges.

Football is the king of the hill for college sports. Expenditures, which include coach's salaries, will far out strip WCBB salaries. Just a fact of life. You can't make the comparison or the arguement.

I think its fair to say Saban is one heck of a football coach. He has a great staff and recruits great talent. And the exact same things can be said of Geno.

Reaction Score
Well, Bags, like huskeynut I am a big fan of your posts, but on this issue, much as I am also an appreciative fan of Geno's genius, all we can say is that it's a great testament to his stunning record that, income-wise, he's even within remote hailing distance of Saban. Yes, the revenue disparities involved are so gargantuan as to render any comparison laughable, but even your argument that WCBB is in the "public eye" for a longer period of each year doesn't really hold water. I grew up in SEC territory. Although not limited to that part of the country, college football down there is not a sport...it's a religion. For 365 days per year, the sports section of every single daily periodical down there contains at least one article that pertains to the local religion...in season or out. With good reason, you and I love WCBB, and UConn WCBB in particular. But our out-sized passion for that game is, as you know, quite literally dwarfed by the broad-based missionary zeal that exists for football. So, as you've undoubtedly had to explain to your children from time to time, "Get used to it...life ain't always fair!" Good for Geno that he does as well as he does on the income comparison level!

Reaction Score
#1 Value is what the market is willing to pay.
#2 Despite their greatness and contributions to young men, women and universities, there are other jobs that folks are performing even greater "service" but are not compensated a hair compared to either of them.
#3 What is great about our country is that you have the opportunity to pursue what's important to you... If Geno wants more money and be valued more he can pursue a job in the men's game.
#4 However, if what Geno values in life (and career) is beyond monetary compensation, he may be the highest compensated coach in the all of sports.... Meaning he seems to love what he does, loves impacting young women's lives, is an icon in his sport, and also enjoys the taste of victory more than any other coach (and any one else in their respective field.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
#1 Value is what the market is willing to pay.
#2 Despite their greatness and contributions to young men, women and universities, there are other jobs that folks are performing even greater "service" but are not compensated a hair compared to either of them.
#3 What is great about our country is that you have the opportunity to pursue what's important to you... If Geno wants more money and be valued more he can pursue a job in the men's game.
#4 However, if what Geno values in life (and career) is beyond monetary compensation, he may be the highest compensated coach in the all of sports.... Meaning he seems to love what he does, loves impacting young women's lives, is an icon in his sport, and also enjoys the taste of victory more than any other coach (and any one else in their respective field.)

And you know this how? :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
11 championships, top record winning streak, highest winning percentage, hall of fame, Olympic Gold, etc, etc, etc..... that's how.

You didnt say he had won the most....... you stated that he enjoyed the taste of victory more than any other coach, implying that of all the coaches in all sports that have won titles... that he enjoyed the feeling of winning a title more than the other coaches.

How many titles has the women's soccer coach for UNC won? Phil Jackson won 11 NBA rings as a coach..... 1 as a player.

Reaction Score
Bear in mind too that the only reason most schools can afford a women's BB team (or women's soccer, or men's soccer, etc.) is because those sports are subsidized by football.

Reaction Score
Bear in mind too that the only reason most schools can afford a women's BB team (or women's soccer, or men's soccer, etc.) is because those sports are subsidized by football.

Most D1 schools don't even have 1A (FCS) football. Yet they have women's basketball and soccer.

Reaction Score
Most D1 schools don't even have 1A (FCS) football. Yet they have women's basketball and soccer.

That's true, but even in those cases football is usually the sport that comes closest to breaking even. Furthermore, the sort of schools that can pony up the dough for facilities, coaches' salaries, etc., for other sports are the ones that either make the most money from football and/or men's BB or have a huge endowment (e.g. Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc) that makes subsidizing the athletic department easier.

Look at the schools that are good at women's BB. They pretty much all have a profitable football program or a profitable men's BB program, or both. That's not an accident.

JS

Reaction Score
You didnt say he had won the most.. you stated that he enjoyed the taste of victory more than any other coach, implying that of all the coaches in all sports that have won titles... that he enjoyed the feeling of winning a title more than the other coaches.

Didn't read it that way, i.e. that he likes to win more than other coaches like to win.

Rather that he experienced the taste of victory more.

Enjoy:
  1. : to have for one's use, benefit, or lot : experience
    enjoyed great success
  2. : to take pleasure or satisfaction in
-- Merriam Webster
_________

1.: Take delight or pleasure in (an activity or occasion)
‘Joe enjoys reading Icelandic family sagas’
2.: Possess and benefit from.
‘the security forces enjoy legal immunity from prosecution’
-- Oxford English

That said, I won't take the case that he experienced the taste of victory more than any other coach in any sport.

Much less the case that he experienced success more than anyone else in his or her respective field.

That might be just a touch of hyperbole.

It ignores, for example, the man who experienced success in joining rubber bands together more times (700,000) than anyone else.

rubberband.png

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm not political, but, If Donald T$&^p said Bear Bryant was only a man, Alabama would succsessfuly secede from the United States. I am serious. The roots are very, very deep.
Saban has done much, but, many have no idea how big the history is. People have closets dedicated to Alabama football shrines. Seen it. Geno has done a great job, but the legacy and dollars in AL are more than one could imagine. Alabama football is a religion in AL. It is truly amazing.
In case one may be wondering, I lived there and my ex wife is still there. No offense intended. "Just the facts, ma'am"....

I remember the first time I went to the State of Alabama I was shocked at all of the memorabilia dedicated to Bear Bryant at all sorts of businesses.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Can you name a current power in WBB that isn't at a school with an FBS football team?

Reaction Score
Much less than 1/5th I'd guess, Alabama football probably generates 15-20x or more revenue than UConn Women's hoops.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
This conversation is like comparing Kenneth Branagh to Dwayne Johnson, one is an actor the other is a movie star. Because Johnson is a bigger star and generates more revenue doesn't make him a better actor, it just means that because of market forces he generates more revenue, therefore he makes more money. It's not an apples to apples comparison with NCAAFB and WCBB, it's because of NCAAFB that many schools can field a WCBB team.

Reaction Score
Isn't Alabama also one of the most religious (excluding football) states?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hate Alabama football.
I would suspect that you're not particularly fond of Alabama WBB either, after what they did to the Lady Vols this past season...

Reaction Score
If Alabama is not winning the way it is with Saban, would college football suffer? Not one bit. If UConn wasn't winning the way it is with Geno, would women's college basketball suffer? It wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. Who else has had a series on HBO? Who else had a College Game Day Broadcast done by an all-male crew of broadcasters? Who else had one of the most knowledgeable basketball experts, Jay Bilas, say that their player, Gabby, was the best all-around player in college basketball? If you answered UConn, UConn, and UConn, you would be correct.

Reaction Score
You didnt say he had won the most.. you stated that he enjoyed the taste of victory more than any other coach, implying that of all the coaches in all sports that have won titles... that he enjoyed the feeling of winning a title more than the other coaches.

How many titles has the women's soccer coach for UNC won? Phil Jackson won 11 NBA rings as a coach..... 1 as a player.

Listen, there are billions of people in the world. I think most people know not to take those statements so literally that I have to prove that it applies to every person in the world. I think most get the point I was making.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom