Is Geno Auriemma the Best Sports Coach of any Sport Ever in America and is He a True Genius | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Geno Auriemma the Best Sports Coach of any Sport Ever in America and is He a True Genius

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is a trait of sports to rank and make lists. In this one thing, at least, I feel no need to rank or make comparisons. Yesterday during an SEC game the commentators agreed that he's been on sports' Mt. Rushmore (hmmm, who is reading what?). He is a singularity in his sport. Enough for me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You have to look at Geno and the totality of the program over 30+ years. This is the only way to truly evaluate the legend that is Geno. And yes, he is a legend.

From his assistant coaches, especially CD, to the players he started with through the superstars that have graced the program. Less we not forget all those bench players who over the years have been an integral part of the program's success. They are all that important. You only have to watch a UConn reunion to understand the strong bond that was forged and still continues to this day. Sue and D call Geno on a regualr basis. Rebecca continually sings Geno's praises on broadcasts. Tonya and Jamelle continually talk with him. The list goes on and on.

Credit must also be given to the university for their support in allowing Geno and company to build and develop the dynasty we love.

In my book, Geno ranks as one of the best coaches ever, regardless of the sport. In women's basketball he has no equal. And no disrespect is intended to any women's coach. Geno had a vision of what a championship program would look like. I don't think even he knew what would develop over the years. You listen to him in interviews today and you can hear in his voice and words tht he is understanding the magnitude of what has been accomplished at UConn. And there is still more work to do.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If you watched the Oscars the other night, Jimmy Kimmel called Meryl Streep "overrated" (to her face) about 5 times. Kimmel was definitely being sarcastic - pretty sure it was done with the utmost respect. Anyway, I'm 100% sure that's what schmendrick was referencing.
And wasn't Kimmel probably inspired by a tweet from DT? (and I don't mean Diana Taurasi)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I like the idea of this debate. If I parse it down by the top 1 or 2 in the specific team sports, I think more clarity is apparent.
Baseball is the hardest to assess due to the longevity and Era's so I am deferring for the moment.
Football- Lombardi, maybe Belichick and/or Walsh
NBA- Auerbach, possible Popovich and/or Jackson
MCBB- Wooden,Coach K
WCBB- Auriemma, Summitt
NHL-Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake

Of my own list above, I would further delineate by assessing innovation, dominance and legacy left onto their peers. NFL is Walsh, NBA is Auerbach, MCBB is Wooden, WCBB is Geno and hockey is Bowman. Pretty heady list in my opinion. While I am in awe of Geno and what he has built. I cannot say for absolute he is better than any of these true icons of their sports.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase the late NFL coach Bum Phillips who, when describing his great running back, Earl Campbell, said "I don't know what class Geno is in but I know it doesn't take long to call roll."
A little OT, but someone mentioned to Bum that Earl seemed to be getting up really slowly after being tackled. Bum's response: "Yeah, he does git up a little slow... But - he goes down real slow too."

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Fred Shero.
Any coach that could stop the greatest player to lace em up has to be the Greatest in his sport.

Reaction Score
Just because we are totally aware of the significance of Chris Daly we can speak of her contributions but what's to say how much influence other coaches might have had from their staff that went unnoticed because their roles weren't made public. If you based CD's role just on what you saw when watching a game, you wouldn't realize how much she adds to the program but Geno has often spoke of what she means and does to enhance the program. I venture to say that there are assistant and associate coaches that for years, between their recruiting and running practices, contributed to make some of the legendary coaches LEGENDARY COACHES. This is in NO WAY meant to diminish how phenomenal CD is.
Oh I don't know. CD is pretty conspicuous when she tackles Geno to keep him from going after the ref.

Reaction Score
He is in my book. Growing up in the Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry and Pat Summit era of coaches and hearing the terms "greatness", "greatest", and "genius" being thrown around for those great coaches, Geno is, in my opinion, a genius and greatest sports coach in history.

I mean, listen to sports radio and I hear about how great of a coach Pop is over with the Spurs or how great of a coach Bill is over in New England. Geno is in that class. He is a genius and the best sports coach in history.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase the late NFL coach Bum Phillips who, when describing his great running back, Earl Campbell, said "I don't know what class Geno is in but I know it doesn't take long to call roll."
What a great retort. That little statement says it all!

Reaction Score
But was Wooden was known as a great coach before a booster started paying top dollar for players?
My thoughts, exactly! I feel he was a great coach but I'm more than a bit doubtful he would have been a legendary coach, were it not for that booster "buying" the level of talent that made the program so overtly successful.

Reaction Score
You have to look at Geno and the totality of the program over 30+ years. This is the only way to truly evaluate the legend that is Geno. And yes, he is a legend.

From his assistant coaches, especially CD, to the players he started with through the superstars that have graced the program. Less we not forget all those bench players who over the years have been an integral part of the program's success. They are all that important. You only have to watch a UConn reunion to understand the strong bond that was forged and still continues to this day. Sue and D call Geno on a regualr basis. Rebecca continually sings Geno's praises on broadcasts. Tonya and Jamelle continually talk with him. The list goes on and on.

Credit must also be given to the university for their support in allowing Geno and company to build and develop the dynasty we love.

In my book, Geno ranks as one of the best coaches ever, regardless of the sport. In women's basketball he has no equal. And no disrespect is intended to any women's coach. Geno had a vision of what a championship program would look like. I don't think even he knew what would develop over the years. You listen to him in interviews today and you can hear in his voice and words tht he is understanding the magnitude of what has been accomplished at UConn. And there is still more work to do.
I think Geno's genius is that he never settled for anything but greatness from his kids. Even in the early stages of his time in Storrs, though the talent level wasn't high, he got everything that these kids had in them and wouldn't except anything less. His standard of excellence (perfection) has never wavered and though it's obviously unattainable, he drove all those teams, even his earliest, toward that standard. Obviously with success, he started being able to recruit better and better talent but the goals never wavered, PERFECTION. Never taking a play off and playing the game almost more against your limits than your opponent. I'm sure he and CD probably never envisioned the success that they've had but it's the striving for the mountain top, game in and game out that have led that journey to where it is today.

Reaction Score
He's got it all, as far as I'm concerned. X's and O's, the psychology/motivation tools, charisma for recruiting, honesty for trust, a sharp eye for talent/character, student of the game, intense competitor. What else?
...there's a short joke in there, somewhere....but He may be lurking....

Reaction Score
I like the idea of this debate. If I parse it down by the top 1 or 2 in the specific team sports, I think more clarity is apparent.
Baseball is the hardest to assess due to the longevity and Era's so I am deferring for the moment.
Football- Lombardi, maybe Belichick and/or Walsh
NBA- Auerbach, possible Popovich and/or Jackson
MCBB- Wooden,Coach K
WCBB- Auriemma, Summitt
NHL-Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake

Of my own list above, I would further delineate by assessing innovation, dominance and legacy left onto their peers. NFL is Walsh, NBA is Auerbach, MCBB is Wooden, WCBB is Geno and hockey is Bowman. Pretty heady list in my opinion. While I am in awe of Geno and what he has built. I cannot say for absolute he is better than any of these true icons of their sports.
With the limitations in the NFL, especially the salary cap, I think Belichick had an appreciably more difficult row to hoe than did Bill Walsh and those 49'er teams had appreciably more talent than has had the Pats. In this era, I seriously doubt that Bill Walsh would have had the same level of success that the Patriots under Bellichick have had. In regard to John Wooden, with the world knowing that Wooden had talent bought for him by a rabid booster that got him the best of the best of talent, I'm surprised that he's still on the top of your list for greatest men's basketball coach. I would have thought you might have picked Bobby Knight or Dean Smith or Coach K. Our own Jim Calhoun with four championships at a school that was only a regional power with horrible facilities when he took over might be another consideration, don't you think? Most of what Auerbach accomplished was a direct result of Bill Russell, though he obviously had a couple of other amazing Hall of Famers, like Cousy and Havlicek. Did Russell make Auerbach or did Auerbach make Russell? Just being the Devils Advocate here!

Reaction Score
Honestly , I disagreed with part of the premise, since I believe that CD has been an absolutely essential part of Geno's success. They have been the perfect complementary pair. I don't think UCONN or Geno would be where they are today without her.

Especially in the past, when Geno was a lot more in-your-face and explosive, CD was a most necessary counterweight. Good cop / bad cop, or whatever you want to call it, but much more than that. (This not to say that Geno has always been 'bad cop.') Geno himself has admitted many times the almost neurotic fear of failure that has driven him for much of his career. I think it's always there, though it's less obvious these days. Geno has also said he realized some time ago that he "can't control everything" and I think this is part and parcel to letting go of that fear a bit.

Anyway, partly because of this fear, Geno really, really, really pushed his players for years and years as the program took hold and success started coming. Of course he still pushes a lot today, but I don't know if that much pushing would have been possible in the past over the long haul, the way he did it, without the cohesiveness provided by the unique culture he and CD built together and without CD as a complementary force. The culture did not come about just because of Geno. There are lots of examples of head coaches pushing people to the limit and past the limit to the point where the program fractures because the other essential aspects aren't in place. It's really all about psychology. The players can't think that "it's the coach or them" and they're on an island. The culture has to inculcate everyone with an extremely strong sense of shared responsibility and shared sacrifice to where they realize somehow they can make it through together, and that 'Coach' is not the only source of the crazy expectations. You're at UCONN now - more is expected. Clearly Geno and CD recruit tough-minded players, but that's not enough. As the words on the wall say, "Champions aren't born, they are made here."

As a tandem, I would put them in the conversation of the greatest ever because the biggest part of coaching isn't X's and O's, it's program-building in all its many respects. And program building in years 1, 2 and 3 means the X's and O's conversations can take place at a whole different level by the time years 10, 11 and 12 roll around. Geno is truly awesome--and a genius--but the credit goes to both of them.

I can't picture the program having achieved as much as it has without the dynamic duo. However, we have to give Gino a point, as he was the one that convinced CD to join and stay! They have built this together and there is no way that any single person could accomplished this incredible feat. They are incredibly complimentary people who seem to fulfill whatever the other needs at the given time. Together, they are providing a level of stability that has never been matched. There are many other great coaches (Pat S springs to mind), but they were working alone. Gino and CD recognized something early on and the sum of their individual abilities melded into the UCONN Husky avalanche.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My thoughts, exactly! I feel he was a great coach but I'm more than a bit doubtful he would have been a legendary coach, were it not for that booster "buying" the level of talent that made the program so overtly successful.
I am dumbfounded how to respond to these types of retorts. You are doing EXACTLY WHAT WE ALL DETEST HERE. "He gets all the talent so it's easy to win". Seriously? Getting those individual talents to play as a team, take accountablility and support your teammates. Do you not hear how his former players revere the life lessons he taught them and much they credit his teachings to their success? But yeah, he just gave them the uniforms and rolled a ball out and said "go play".

Nothing personal but geez...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom