Is Geno Auriemma the Best Sports Coach of any Sport Ever in America and is He a True Genius | The Boneyard

Is Geno Auriemma the Best Sports Coach of any Sport Ever in America and is He a True Genius

Reaction Score
I believe it came around the middle of the forth quarter at the Tulsa game today when the male announcer said, in so many words – “Is it time to say that Geno Auriemma is the greatest coach of any sports team that has ever existed in America?” The female announcer responded immediately, in so many words with – “His name would surely be in any such conversation.” One of them also also mentioned that he was a genius in regards to what he has created at UCONN. Of course Genius is a term frequently given to exceptional coaches of many sports teams in America, although most are nowhere near that intellectually. However in Geno's case it may well be true – only future sports historians will make that call.

As far as I am concerned, Geno is a true genius when it comes to basketball and his amazing ability to psychological motivate human beings.

Reaction Score
I believe it came around the middle of the forth quarter at the Tulsa game today when the male announcer said, in so many words – “Is it time to say that Geno Auriemma is the greatest coach of any sports team that has ever existed in America?” The female announcer responded immediately, in so many words with – “His name would surely be in any such conversation.” One of them also also mentioned that he was a genius in regards to what he has created at UCONN. Of course Genius is a term frequently given to exceptional coaches of many sports teams in America, although most are nowhere near that intellectually. However in Geno's case it may well be true – only future sports historians will make that call.

As far as I am concerned, Geno is a true genius when it comes to basketball and his amazing ability to psychological motivate human beings.
Bob Picozzi & Katie Douglass? He also said that a couple weeks ago (??) Sue & Diana asked Geno if there was any chance he would reconsider his 'decision' (?) not to coach the Olympic team next go-around. Geno replied, "Naaahhh. I love you guys, but I'm not sure I'll love you when you're 40."

Reaction Score
This is one of those questions that, for me at least, it's impossible to even contemplate an answer because I simply don't know enough sports history or the idiosyncrasies of individual sports to even have a clue. Especially when the question as posed would cover everything from grade school teams to all pro sports ever.
There is only one name that even comes to mind, and it's because he was a hero of mine when I was young. Casey Stengel.
But I don't presume to put him on a level with or above Geno.

Reaction Score
This is one of those questions that, for me at least, it's impossible to even contemplate an answer because I simply don't know enough sports history or the idiosyncrasies of individual sports to even have a clue. Especially when the question as posed would cover everything from grade school teams to all pro sports ever.
There is only one name that even comes to mind, and it's because he was a hero of mine when I was young. Casey Stengel.

I agree... Each sport and generation has its own challenges. Phil Jackson, Casey Stengel, Pat's coach (to painful to type name,) etc.... List goes on. How can you compare managing 50 football players or 25 baseball players to 9 basketball players. One thing is for sure, he is a great coach and is in the top class.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Applying the term genius to Geno implies his stature may be equated to fellows like Mozart, Einstein, or DaVinci. But in the world of mere mortals, he is the only basketball coach I would include in the same sentence with Red Auerbach.

Reaction Score
Applying the term genius to Geno implies his stature may be equated to fellows like Mozart, Einstein, or DaVinci. But in the world of mere mortals, he is the only basketball coach I would include in the same sentence with Red Auerbach.
Not Greg Popovich, or John Wooden or Henry Iba? Some coaches of lesser success--because of circumstances--but maybe not less of great coaches, such as Al McGuire, or my avatar, or--it pains me to say it--Coach K? And no one was ever better than Bobby Knight, except that he had a teensy-weensy anger problem. Nothing serious, you understand, just that occasionally he got a bit hot under the collar while rearranging the furniture.
bknightjpg-58277d4a90b91bb8.jpeg

bknightjpg-58277d4a90b91bb8.jpeg

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Honestly , I disagreed with part of the premise, since I believe that CD has been an absolutely essential part of Geno's success. They have been the perfect complementary pair. I don't think UCONN or Geno would be where they are today without her.

Especially in the past, when Geno was a lot more in-your-face and explosive, CD was a most necessary counterweight. Good cop / bad cop, or whatever you want to call it, but much more than that. (This not to say that Geno has always been 'bad cop.') Geno himself has admitted many times the almost neurotic fear of failure that has driven him for much of his career. I think it's always there, though it's less obvious these days. Geno has also said he realized some time ago that he "can't control everything" and I think this is part and parcel to letting go of that fear a bit.

Anyway, partly because of this fear, Geno really, really, really pushed his players for years and years as the program took hold and success started coming. Of course he still pushes a lot today, but I don't know if that much pushing would have been possible in the past over the long haul, the way he did it, without the cohesiveness provided by the unique culture he and CD built together and without CD as a complementary force. The culture did not come about just because of Geno. There are lots of examples of head coaches pushing people to the limit and past the limit to the point where the program fractures because the other essential aspects aren't in place. It's really all about psychology. The players can't think that "it's the coach or them" and they're on an island. The culture has to inculcate everyone with an extremely strong sense of shared responsibility and shared sacrifice to where they realize somehow they can make it through together, and that 'Coach' is not the only source of the crazy expectations. You're at UCONN now - more is expected. Clearly Geno and CD recruit tough-minded players, but that's not enough. As the words on the wall say, "Champions aren't born, they are made here."

As a tandem, I would put them in the conversation of the greatest ever because the biggest part of coaching isn't X's and O's, it's program-building in all its many respects. And program building in years 1, 2 and 3 means the X's and O's conversations can take place at a whole different level by the time years 10, 11 and 12 roll around. Geno is truly awesome--and a genius--but the credit goes to both of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bob Picozzi & Katie Douglass? He also said that a couple weeks ago (??) Sue & Diana asked Geno if there was any chance he would reconsider his 'decision' (?) not to coach the Olympic team next go-around. Geno replied, "Naaahhh. I love you guys, but I'm not sure I'll love you when you're 40."
Katie Smith from Ohio St.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your non-interest in UConn women's basketball as well as your uninformed views about acting.
I'm assuming schmendrick was being sarcastic. If not, I entirely share your sentiment.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
He's got it all, as far as I'm concerned. X's and O's, the psychology/motivation tools, charisma for recruiting, honesty for trust, a sharp eye for talent/character, student of the game, intense competitor. What else?

Taking seriously only those things that should be, and laughing at the rest.

Reaction Score
He's got it all, as far as I'm concerned. X's and O's, the psychology/motivation tools, charisma for recruiting, honesty for trust, a sharp eye for talent/character, student of the game, intense competitor. What else?
As sharp a wit as you'll find anywhere. Never underestimate the value of wit.

Reaction Score

I'd have to make that a trio by adding Wooden.

Reaction Score
Vince Lombardi comes to my mind. Getting the trophy that signifies the pinnacle of your sport named after you carries weight.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming schmendrick was being sarcastic. If not, I entirely share your sentiment.
If you watched the Oscars the other night, Jimmy Kimmel called Meryl Streep "overrated" (to her face) about 5 times. Kimmel was definitely being sarcastic - pretty sure it was done with the utmost respect. Anyway, I'm 100% sure that's what schmendrick was referencing.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

These legendary coaches all had great support to help them reach the top of their profession and stay there:
Geno's success has been supported by CD;
Auerbach was supported by Bill Russell;
Popovich was supported by Tm Duncan; and,
John Wooden was supported by Sam Gilbert.;)

Reaction Score

I'm here in Florida and tonight I was at a karaoke show and ran into a couple from Connecticut here for a month. The subject of UConn basketball came up and we shared stories about the Huskies who they said they saw win their 99th game in a row just a bit ago. One of the things I brought up was my being a Boneyarder (which they were unfamiliar with) and how I regard Geno as a brilliant motivator who knows specifically how to get the maximum out of all his players, from the stars to the secondary (but necessary) players, pushing them beyond levels that they might have thought were their limit. As a tactician, he's brilliant and with the phenomenal staff he has, topped off by the amazing CD, they've done things that are beyond anything anyone would have, in their wildest dreams believed. The level of success and dominance by this program, particularly in the past seven or eight years, is crazy. With expectations so high, it seems impossible but they continue to exceed them. I can't fathom there ever being a major college athletic program that will have the level of success that we're witnessing here in Storrs, CT. Is Geno a genius? How could you possibly criticize someone's view that he surely is???

Reaction Score
I don't agree. I think Geno exceeds Wooden, in that he didn't have a benefactor "buying" star athletes to attend UCLA, thus making John Wooden's task far easier. Beyond that, John Wooden's teams only had to win four games to win a championship instead of six games, as it is now. If people think that Geno has a front line in getting the best talent in the nation, he has to take a back seat to Wooden's success being primarily focused on maybe the two best big men in the history of men's basketball, Lou Alcinder (Kareem) and Bill Walton.

Reaction Score
Honestly , I disagreed with part of the premise, since I believe that CD has been an absolutely essential part of Geno's success. They have been the perfect complementary pair. I don't think UCONN or Geno would be where they are today without her.

Especially in the past, when Geno was a lot more in-your-face and explosive, CD was a most necessary counterweight. Good cop / bad cop, or whatever you want to call it, but much more than that. (This not to say that Geno has always been 'bad cop.') Geno himself has admitted many times the almost neurotic fear of failure that has driven him for much of his career. I think it's always there, though it's less obvious these days. Geno has also said he realized some time ago that he "can't control everything" and I think this is part and parcel to letting go of that fear a bit.

Anyway, partly because of this fear, Geno really, really, really pushed his players for years and years as the program took hold and success started coming. Of course he still pushes a lot today, but I don't know if that much pushing would have been possible in the past over the long haul, the way he did it, without the cohesiveness provided by the unique culture he and CD built together and without CD as a complementary force. The culture did not come about just because of Geno. There are lots of examples of head coaches pushing people to the limit and past the limit to the point where the program fractures because the other essential aspects aren't in place. It's really all about psychology. The players can't think that "it's the coach or them" and they're on an island. The culture has to inculcate everyone with an extremely strong sense of shared responsibility and shared sacrifice to where they realize somehow they can make it through together, and that 'Coach' is not the only source of the crazy expectations. You're at UCONN now - more is expected. Clearly Geno and CD recruit tough-minded players, but that's not enough. As the words on the wall say, "Champions aren't born, they are made here."

As a tandem, I would put them in the conversation of the greatest ever because the biggest part of coaching isn't X's and O's, it's program-building in all its many respects. And program building in years 1, 2 and 3 means the X's and O's conversations can take place at a whole different level by the time years 10, 11 and 12 roll around. Geno is truly awesome--and a genius--but the credit goes to both of them.
Just because we are totally aware of the significance of Chris Daly we can speak of her contributions but what's to say how much influence other coaches might have had from their staff that went unnoticed because their roles weren't made public. If you based CD's role just on what you saw when watching a game, you wouldn't realize how much she adds to the program but Geno has often spoke of what she means and does to enhance the program. I venture to say that there are assistant and associate coaches that for years, between their recruiting and running practices, contributed to make some of the legendary coaches LEGENDARY COACHES. This is in NO WAY meant to diminish how phenomenal CD is.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
To paraphrase the late NFL coach Bum Phillips who, when describing his great running back, Earl Campbell, said "I don't know what class Geno is in but I know it doesn't take long to call roll."

Bum Phillips also might have said (paraphrasing what he said, admiringly, of Don Shula): "Geno can beat your'n with his'n and he could beat his'n with your'n.":)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom