Is Donny A Jack***? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Donny A Jack***?

Reaction Score
I know Ron from business in Boston. He loved calling games and staying involved in college basketball. Had many conversations with him about UConn over the years. He joined a company that was starting a Boston office and doing the games was taking away from his attention to the business and he just didn't want to do that.

I liked Ron Perry as well. I always liked Mike Gorman too. They both remind me of watching UConn games when I was a kid in the early and mid 90's.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
didn't mr brando tell us, early in the game, something like 'even tho tyler is 6'9'', he plays much bigger?'
im not sure of his exact words, but i do remember almost putting the broadcast on mute. i'll check that, cuz 'dumbest broadcaster's comment this year' is still an open question. mebbe i heard that one wrong. he did spend an inordinate amount of time, in the second half, yammerin' on how marquette could get back in the game, even tho the game was over at the tip, and the only marquette storyline would be garcia's contribution.
found it! at 19:55 of tcf's game vid, mr. brando sez ...
no excuses. it's one thing to misspeak, or have the wrong info, but no explanation other than senility or blowhardiness can explain that comment coming from any so-called 'expert's' mouth.
so, when added to his 'marquette back in the game' nonsense, i'll now be adding him to my 'who cares what you say? ur a putz!' list. i have high standards as to valuing basketball commentary from people who are paid to know. kinda like my view of tv 'financial analysts.'

Reaction Score
I know Ron from business in Boston. He loved calling games and staying involved in college basketball. Had many conversations with him about UConn over the years. He joined a company that was starting a Boston office and doing the games was taking away from his attention to the business and he just didn't want to do that.

Thanks. He was a two sport star from Holy Cross, and a professional baseball player. Glad he is doing well.

Reaction Score
I think he has a sense of humor-as for him not being good, yet somehow he has a 19 year career as a sports commentator/announcer.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what others think. I mean, I know the answer is yes.... sorta. I guess I'm wondering if he is for real. Not just in a playful or fun loving sense.

He seems to hover right around the boundary. Crosses the line for a moment. Then comes back. The place I notice it the most is how he treats his broadcast partner. He obviously likes to joke around and that's cool. But he hovers around being not funny or maybe just a tad too rude to his partner. Not a ton today. It's just something I've sensed at times.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I still love the guy.

Also, in the past some have commented on his impartiality. I have zero issue with Donny not being a UCONN homer. It's his job to be impartial and he's devoted 4 years to us. He paid in full. Owes us nothing.
No, but there is a special place for you for even implying that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I am going to nit pick him calling a national broadcast,he does rely to much on his UConn 1990's playing time and teammates.
As others have brought up, he had a bit more than a cup of tea in NBA and has been part of studio teams and broadcasting NBA games.
He has so much more to fall back on than 25 year old college memories.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I liked Ron Perry as well. I always liked Mike Gorman too. They both remind me of watching UConn games when I was a kid in the early and mid 90's.
One of my favoritest calls was a Mike Gorman call on John Gwynn...."He wants it. HE GOT IT!!!"

Go to about 13:30 in this awesome video if you want to...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of my favoritest calls was a Mike Gorman call on John Gwynn...."He wants it. HE GOT IT!!!"
Definitely brings back memories of the "Old" Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom